The Student Room Group

Go to Southampton or...?

I'm in a similar place to you mate.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VictoriaCoolio
I'm in a similar place to you got predicted A*AA but got an offer through clearing from Southampton with A*BDc for Computer Science. But I just can't I look at the grades and feel disappointed. I know why I got the grades I got just to feeling sorry for myself and I just had a mental breakdown during exam time and I tried to jump out a moving car and climb up a tree and just feeling depressed and stuff. I've already done all the enrolment and booked the induction arrival slot stuff for the uni and everyone thinks I'm off to uni but I've not done anything for the past 3 months. I haven't looked at any books or started packing. I just don't know what to do. Because I know could have done better if all of this didn't happen. I just want to take a gap year and apply to Imperial but I can't because student finance is coming through and my parents have threatened to kick me out and everyone has bought me something nice and all the other schools have started and I just wasn't focused enough.

I totally understand how you feel right now. First of all may I say that Southampton is still really good for Computer Science but if your heart is not with going to university then I suppose you will find it difficult to enjoy the next 3 years or so at uni. Explain to your parents about how you feel about your grades and they should respect your decision. It's your life not theirs so they shouldn't lead you into a pathway. If you're worried about student finance coming through, you should try and contact them before the money actually does come through. Surely they could stop it from reaching the uni!

And please don't be depressed! Are you sure you could handle a gap year? You don't want to put yourself in a situation like this year being stressed and depressed due to exams. That's the last thing you need! If you want to apply to Imperial, you need to check if they would consider your application if you resit some exams. Even if they say yes, this doe not necessarily mean that they will make you an offer with it being so competitive. That is the risk you'll be taking so please consider carefully!*

Alternatively, you could defer your entry at Southampton uni to improve your A-Level grades but you will not be able to apply to any other universities whilst holding a deferred place.
Reply 2
I'm sure that I can handle a gap year I guess I'd just stay at home and study as an external candidate out sit in the lessons but it's all just taken such a toll on my health and physical appearance because I keep picking out my hair and thinking and I have almost 5 bald patches in my hair and self harm scars all over my legs and just too much going on in my life. If I wanted to go to Imperial i would have to resit 7 exams. Every time I mention exams to my parents they get pissed off. I just need a year to raise my self esteem. And I'm still so stuck in that phase of fixtating over grades. I've tried ringing them up like 20 times from Monday to Wednesday asking to defer and then undefer. But then I do want to go to uni this year but just not with these grades and feeling like this. Because all the other nearby schools have started.

Have you talked to your head of sixth form? They're normally well experienced with this stuff but imo it's time for you to go, this happens to everyone, literally 90% of everyone going to uni could just say 'ohh I really want to improve my grades and know I could have done better' so everyone has regrets. But you should actually think is a gap year worth it? Sometimes getting out will do you so much better, if anything the easy option is just to resit but unless you dislike Southampton and really want imperial it wouldn't be worth it.
Again, maybe it's worth getting your parents and a nice sixth form tutor you like and discussing?
I'm sure that I can handle a gap year I guess I'd just stay at home and study as an external candidate out sit in the lessons but it's all just taken such a toll on my health and physical appearance because I keep picking out my hair and thinking and I have almost 5 bald patches in my hair and self harm scars all over my legs and just too much going on in my life. If I wanted to go to Imperial i would have to resit 7 exams. Every time I mention exams to my parents they get pissed off. I just need a year to raise my self esteem. And I'm still so stuck in that phase of fixtating over grades. I've tried ringing them up like 20 times from Monday to Wednesday asking to defer and then undefer. But then I do want to go to uni this year but just not with these grades and feeling like this. Because all the other nearby schools have started.

southampton is SUCH an amazing university for all things engineering related. computer science itself has been in the top 5 occassionally. it's also a beautiful campus in a lovely, sunny, quiet area :smile:

i'm really sorry to hear about your mental health issues and self-harm. i can relate and i'm also apprehensive about university (in two minds about deferring or just starting this year at UCL) - PM me if you want to have a chat about it.
Reply 4
It's way to late I believe because I've already done all the enrolment forms and everyone thinks I'm going. And I'm pretty sure my student finance money is coming in today. It's too late I push everything back. I think will talk to my parents and sixth form head of year today. My parents just think I'll be wasting another year of my life and they'll kick me out of the house. What about doing a levels alongside the degree. Is that too much? I just don't even know what in life. I'm not even sure if that's the right course for me. I'm just going to uni because I'm just getting tired of my house and my family. Even if I did want to take a gap year I only have £3. And I'll just be year behind everyone and I'll have to find a job and school has already started so I'd have to register as an external candidate. But my student finance money hasn't come in. I haven't even started packing or buying anything I've just been looking at those grades feeling upset. That's my brother said they're trained to deal with these situations but I think I know I could have done a lot better. What about doing a levels alongside the degree? That would cost me like £1000 and if I waste another year they are raising the tution fees to 9250. I just feel like I shouldn't have any regrets in life but all of my family say that I am tormenting them. And I've seen my first grey hair last month

lol it's unreal how similar your situation is to me pal, especially regarding the regrets. But again, I really would go if I were you, your a levels will become useless when you get your degree grade mate, just ask your head of sixth.

But again, if you don't want to go then it shouldn't, don't be forced, although I think taking a year out is a waste, if you feel it's right then you need to do it.
But again, remember what I saw about how pretty much everyone who goes to uni feels they could have done better but just forget it and use that motivation to get a great degree grade and experience.
Reply 5
I guess so. I'll just ask my head of sixth form but I guess it's too late because my student finance has already come through. But the course is so competitive and oversubscribed this year. I haven't even done any packing or reading and just been sitting here feeling sorry for myself and making more detailed life plans lol. But would doing a levels alongside the degree be crazy if I could afford it. I just know that I could have done better.

Imo it would yeah, workload would be insane. For me the decision to not take a gap year was made a lot easier by the fact that It would have had to be coursework that I would have to improve for my grades because in my A2 exams I did fine with As and I did poor in my AS with C but I can't resit them anyway. And coursework is such a hassle to resit, school couldn't care and I would not be a priority so as well as this and talking to links in industry they said it's fine.
You need to start packing now, watch some YouTube tutorials of uni, what to pack and freshers to get you pumped up. You're going to be just fine, an A level grade is so pointless after the degree anyway, it's just like now when we think of how useless our GCSEs are.
What about doing 1/2 modules alongside the degree because that wouldn't be too bad would it? Because I only have 19 hours of lectures during the first year and the first year doesn't count does it. Just to bring my physics grade up to a B or A. Or should I appeal against it and bring it up to a C? Because I'm so used to seen my self going from strength to strength and I literally cry when I see the A*BD. Its sad when the star pupil falls. Because I got 5a*5a2b at GCSEs and I'm just drastically getting worse and my memory is deteriorating. The course isn't for the feeble minded and it was oversubscribed this year so I'm lucky to have a place I guess. But everyone else on the course has like A*A*AA. And my parents say you kids in the UK haven't seen anything compared to the hardship of Africa blah blah etc. And they're standing in the way of my dreams. Forgot to mention I had exenuating circumstances and my granddad died prior to my exams and my parents are considering a divorce and I had a mental breakdown during exam time. Im not even sure if I like that course or not. I'm thinking of doing a maths degree or actuarial science.

UPDATE my grades are now A*BB. And I'm 100% sure that I'm going to uni for computer science at Southampton this year.

you got a D to a B in a remark? o.O
I think I will accept it I'm just afraid that I'll be at the bottom of the class.

No my enchanced grading was approved. But I'm still wishing that I had A*AA. I think I will still do 1/2 modules alongside my degree to bring my grades up to A*AA. Because I was predicted A*A*A. So I now have A*BB.

You won't be at the bottom of your class, A*BB is a really good grade. Don't worry, you'll be great at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm thinking of declining Southampton and applying to Strathcylde through clearing. I just want to get further away from my family and it has a great nightlife or is that too late.

Wouldn't bother tbh, Southampton + CompSci is a solid combo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what I said to my parents. I would work, learn another language. I'm even considering applying to ETH Zurich with those grades. A gap year is a once in a life time opportunity. I could improve my grades to A*AA. Then achieve my dreams.

Do it! I know so many people that have done the exact same thing and they get the same grades as people that go to Oxbridge. People are so grade orientated (including parents), that they don't give some people the time they need. If that is what you want don't let anyone stop you from doing it. Just make sure you have a sound plan.
My parents won't support that they literally want to send me to Africa. They said I haven't seen any hardship yet. And also where would I sit my exams is another problem.

That added stress is so unnecessary and I bet it is well difficult to explain to your parents why your decision making makes a lot more sense. My mother always used the "there's staving children in Africa" argument for why I should fulfil her requests or why her terrible food should be eaten. Your parents should be actively improving your situation not the opposite. Anyway good luck!
I would take the city offer, it may be short notice but it should be okay :smile:

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending
Reply 12
Not at all they shouldn't mind because I defered my place on the 9th and the course started on the 12th they just said sure see you next year.I think ultimately it depends in the uni and how many applications they get and what course but really they've already given you a place so shouldn't be bothered about you wanting to defer.Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 13
That's what I said to my parents. I would work, learn another language. I'm even considering applying to ETH Zurich with those grades. A gap year is a once in a life time opportunity. I could improve my grades to A*AA. Then achieve my dreams. But then is it too late to defer my place because I only have 6 more days and my parents will threaten to kick me out of the house. But then also could I apply to other unis.

OMG those are such good grades I got BCD and am going to resit for ABB.i think you should go to uni cos once you're there you wont even think about A-levels.
I'm thinking of declining Southampton and applying to Strathcylde through clearing. I just want to get further away from my family and it has a great nightlife or is that too late.

If the course hasn't started and there are places available then it's not late

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Oh yeah it means I wouldn't be able to apply to any other unis whilst holding a deferred place. But say I improve massively could I get into somewhere like Bristol through adjustment because that was my firm offer which I missed for AAA

That's not how Adjustment works. It's only available if you exceed your Firm Offer in the same application cycle. Not if you resit the following year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Oh okay then say I exceed my offer and apply to Bristol through clearing next year provided I have the grades would that work.

Why through Clearing? There's no guarantee they will be in Clearing 2017.

Also you can't apply at all if you hold a deferred place. You would have to withdraw from the place first before applying to any other universities.

Southampton is a good university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
But what about ETH Zurich would I still have a chance of transferring after the second year?

That's a good decision.

You would have to ask ETH.

Good luck at Soton.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I'm still unsure about the course though. I've never coded before. But say I struggle would it be possible to change course to mathematics. I guess I am only doing the course because I've been pressured to by my parents and family and school. Is the course really that hard? But I'm good at maths and I've loved it all my life. But would it be easy to swap to maths degree when I get there? Also thank you. Because I've kind of realised I'm uninterested in computer science.

Ask Southampton now, before you arrive. Do you meet their Maths course requirements?
Update I'm taking up the place for Southampton university. Bristol is quite competitive and you're right there's no guarantee they'll even look at me next year. It's still an amazing university and I will be happy there. I'm gone past this stage of obssessing over grades and I'll just focus on getting my first. But what about ETH Zurich would I still have a chance of transferring after the second year?

Yessssss finally, love this attitude :smile:

You can always do a masters at ETH, or try to see if an erasmus year there is possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest