The Student Room Group

good A-levels for a LAW degree

Hi, at the moment Im considering a law degree at uni and just checking the A-levels I have chosen are good enough. I haven't chosen law at A-level because i was told i don't need it by me career advisor and uni I would wish to attend. Plus i still want to leave my options open because I'm not 100% sure yet. however should i want to do law, are these A-levels good enough?
English
History
Sociology/business/psychology
At the moment i am undecided on the 3rd, which one do you think is the best or would you recommend another one?
thanks
Original post by Will.A2017
Hi, at the moment Im considering a law degree at uni and just checking the A-levels I have chosen are good enough. I haven't chosen law at A-level because i was told i don't need it by me career advisor and uni I would wish to attend. Plus i still want to leave my options open because I'm not 100% sure yet. however should i want to do law, are these A-levels good enough?
English
History
At the moment i am undecided on the 3rd, which one do you think is the best or would you recommend another one?
thanks

For a Law degree, there are no required subjects. To keep your options open, it is recommended that you take 2 facilitating A Levels, of which History is one. English Literature is also one, although Lang and Lang/Lit combined are not facilitating, so watch out for that.
Wait how is English lit and Lang not ? I wanna take it at college and I’m stressed now
Original post by CatusStarbright
For a Law degree, there are no required subjects. To keep your options open, it is recommended that you take 2 facilitating A Levels, of which History is one. English Literature is also one, although Lang and Lang/Lit combined are not facilitating, so watch out for that.
Original post by Will.A2017
English
History
thanks

why not Geography instead of Sociology?
Omg I really wanted to do business for a level ah I’m stressed now
Original post by JohanGRK
Doesn't matter, they all sound good. The one thing you might want to check re: the third option is whether any universities have business studies in their 'less preferred subject' lists.
That’s the thing I’ve been googling so much. And I keep seeing these mixed opinions it’s. So hard aaa
Why are you stressed? Get Googling.
Thank u!
Chances are that these opinions came from people who were uninformed at best and outright misleading at worst. If you want a human to feed back on your choices, contact the undergraduate admissions office at the universities you want to apply to and ask them directly. They'll give you a straight answer (most likely some variant of 'we don't care') and it'll be over.
Original post by laugh72
Wait how is English lit and Lang not ? I wanna take it at college and I’m stressed now

It's not deemed a 'facilitating A Level'.
Omg noo
It's not deemed a 'facilitating A Level'.
Original post by laugh72
Omg noo

I refer you to this link: https://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

I would also advise you not to worry too much. You should always pick the subjects you are interested in and would do well in, and remember that an A in Lang/Lit is going to look better than a B in just Lit, or any of the other 'facilitating' subjects.
As there are no requirements for the law like the others have stated above, I suggest you take 1-2 essay based subjects that you enjoy (You already have English and history so that is fine but make sure you enjoy them as in A level you will begin to hate everything lol)

For the last one as you are not 100% sure you want to choose law, I personally would pick either maths or a science subject if you found any of them enjoyable at GCSE/ found it easy.
This will ensure that you keep most your doors open as with maths you can go into many engineering courses and some medical courses too. Or you can choose science for the same reason - physics for engineering and chem/bio for more medicine side.

But if you don't like those, what career path do you have in mind as you are undecided between sociology and psychology?
I know you put business too, but I honestly don't think business will help with anything.

Alternatively, you could choose 4 subjects at AS: English, history, sociology, and psychology. Then after AS finishes you could drop the one that you don't like or your weakest subject. As universities only require 3. (I would also choose 4 at AS in case you fail 1 subject, as you will have a back-up subject remaining)
The subject you dropped can also contribute as UCAS points if you are applying to a university that has UCAS points as requirements.
I refer you to this link: https://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

I would also advise you not to worry too much. You should always pick the subjects you are interested in and would do well in, and remember that an A in Lang/Lit is going to look better than a B in just Lit, or any of the other 'facilitating' subjects.

Thank u I’m So confused I will look at the link
Original post by kurro
As there are no requirements for the law like the others have stated above, I suggest you take 1-2 essay based subjects that you enjoy (You already have English and history so that is fine but make sure you enjoy them as in A level you will begin to hate everything lol)

For the last one as you are not 100% sure you want to choose law, I personally would pick either maths or a science subject if you found any of them enjoyable at GCSE/ found it easy.
This will ensure that you keep most your doors open as with maths you can go into many engineering courses and some medical courses too. Or you can choose science for the same reason - physics for engineering and chem/bio for more medicine side.

But if you don't like those, what career path do you have in mind as you are undecided between sociology and psychology?
I know you put business too, but I honestly don't think business will help with anything.

Alternatively, you could choose 4 subjects at AS: English, history, sociology, and psychology. Then after AS finishes you could drop the one that you don't like or your weakest subject. As universities only require 3. (I would also choose 4 at AS in case you fail 1 subject, as you will have a back-up subject remaining)
The subject you dropped can also contribute as UCAS points if you are applying to a university that has UCAS points as requirements.

I'm afraid the OP is two years old, so they've probably nearly finished their A Levels by now!
Nevertheless this is sound advice for anyone reading the thread at present.
Original post by laugh72
Thank u I’m So confused I will look at the link

Do, and don't be afraid to ask teachers, family members (if appropriate), and other sources of advice for their opinions.
I'm afraid the OP is two years old, so they've probably nearly finished their A Levels by now!
Nevertheless this is sound advice for anyone reading the thread at present.

Do, and don't be afraid to ask teachers, family members (if appropriate), and other sources of advice for their opinions.

Oh wow haha
guess I didn't read it properly, thank you! :colondollar:
Original post by kurro
Oh wow haha
guess I didn't read it properly, thank you! :colondollar:

No worries!

Quick Reply

Latest