The Student Room Group

What are the benefits of taking in refugees?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Rhaenys10
isn't this what germany tried to do?

To a point but they went massively overboard in terms of numbers.
It is working to a point though such as in cities like Hambourg where a lot are working in the docks for example.
Original post by Napp
To a point but they went massively overboard in terms of numbers.
It is working to a point though such as in cities like Hambourg where a lot are working in the docks for example.

germany made the wrong move - and they sort of admitted doing so

the thing is, socially and economically speaking, you can't properly integrate refugees, because their qualifications aren't really worth anything in europe or the uk - and that's only one of the great many reasons why you can't do this

i mean ffs last night there was a guy here ranting about romanians (and I'm not even biased rn) ...d'you think muslims from the actual middle east would be more welcome?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dodgypirate
Can you provide me with a source? You claimed that ME countries have taken in refugees from Syria...

Oh right
http://syrianrefugees.eu
Original post by biglad2k16
I agree that immigration can bring benefits, but surely it is better to allow high skilled immigrants who fill a skills gap to enter instead of refugees since not all refugees possess skills that we need?

Many refugees can't work in the UK do to having little qualifications or bad English. Therefore they would have to be supported with benefits which ultimately place a burden on the taxpayer. So why should we take refugees when we can take in high-skilled migrants instead who can fills the skills gaps?

You stop being an *******.
Original post by Josb
The cost of admitting a refugee here is much more important than in a neighbouring country, thus making it much less efficient in terms of "saving lives". You can save many more lives by giving $1bn to a neighbouring country (as living costs are dramatically lower there) than using this money at home on imported refugees (where a refugee costs about $25K a year).

As we do with Turkey. You didn't think it was on their coin did you?*
Reply 25
germany made the wrong move - and they sort of admitted doing so

the thing is, socially and economically speaking, you can't properly integrate refugees, because their qualifications aren't really worth anything in europe or the uk - and that's only one of the great many reasons why you can't do this

i mean ffs last night there was a guy here ranting about romanians (and I'm not even biased rn) ...d'you think muslims from the actual middle east would be more welcome?

Indeed I don't disagree with that completely. With regards to qualifications i'd say its balanced most of the educated have fled syria and iraq for pastures greener and many of them are doctors, engineers etc. who settle well, on the whole.
The masses can and do present problems seeing as most of them can only do basic manual labour.
The integration thing is tricky though whilst many Iraqi and Syrian refugees arent especially religious at all theAfrican and Afghan ones present problems.

the people ranting about Romanians and Poles irk me greatly, theyre no different than these plebs except theyre a better hire i.e. cheaper and more efficient which upsets the lazy local. If he cant be economically viable well thats that. As for Muslims i see no real issue, we've had a large muslim disporer for a while and most present no problem at all the main issue now is a tiny number of nutters committing atrocities in the name of islam and thus tarring them all with the same brush. that being said by that i dont know why the irish arent loathed, or werent even given the IR bombs.
Original post by teenhorrorstory

"4.8 million have fled to Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt and Iraq "

Does that mean they were willingly accepted by those countries?
Original post by Napp
Well the biggest one is that we then don't have their slaughter on our collective hands..

Other wise;
1] cheap labour
2]dedicated and hard working workers
3] potential to fill gaps in industry and indeed areas that have become depressed
4] we started and/or helped the collapse of these countries thus we should take responsibility
etc.

Firstly, we wouldn't have the blood on lour hands because all them went through places where they had asylum. Plus countries like us actually pay for the camps in Turkey etc. You didn't think they paid for them did you?

As for the labour point.....no. We don't need more cheap labour. Especially since the vast majority of the jobs they'd do are being automated anyway. That's assuming they can do even those.

And no, we didn't start the Syrian War. I know a lot of people have this weird self-hating paradigm that everything in the world ever is our fault but it doesn't mean that's reality. We're talking about a sectarian conflict started mostly by Assad and then inflamed and supported by people like Saudis and the Iranian regime. Also consider that these people are mainly fleeing Assad/Russian bombing and Jihadi groups who are partly self-funded, partly funded by rich Saudis/Qataris. The only reason they previously didn't get traction in Iraq and Syria is because of Saddam and Assad's Baathist oppression. The Syrian War started when Assad let the Jihadis out of jail so he had an excuse to massacre protesters against his stupid domestic policies and response to the drought. But unfortunately these facts don't fit in with the narrative of angst and delusional self-hatred some people have.

So no, there's no benefit whatsoever in taking in these people other than pure altruism. And even that doesn't account for the fact that most of them aren't even from Syria or Iraq lol.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dodgypirate
"4.8 million have fled to Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt and Iraq "

Does that mean they were willingly accepted by those countries?

Given how much we're paying them to keep them, yes is the answer. But Saudi, Qatar etc look at billions as peanuts hence they're taking none. Not that these people would want to go there judging by the fact that they treat unskilled migrant workers worse than dogs. They're effectively slaves in fact.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Napp
Indeed I don't disagree with that completely. With regards to qualifications i'd say its balanced most of the educated have fled syria and iraq for pastures greener and many of them are doctors, engineers etc. who settle well, on the whole.
The masses can and do present problems seeing as most of them can only do basic manual labour.
The integration thing is tricky though whilst many Iraqi and Syrian refugees arent especially religious at all theAfrican and Afghan ones present problems.

the people ranting about Romanians and Poles irk me greatly, theyre no different than these plebs except theyre a better hire i.e. cheaper and more efficient which upsets the lazy local. If he cant be economically viable well thats that. As for Muslims i see no real issue, we've had a large muslim disporer for a while and most present no problem at all the main issue now is a tiny number of nutters committing atrocities in the name of islam and thus tarring them all with the same brush. that being said by that i dont know why the irish arent loathed, or werent even given the IR bombs.

meh, it's cause brits have already got used to the irish i think
islamophobia is definitely a thing, so is terrorism, which may or may not be directly linked to it

i think the biggest mistake that the eu made was failing to check the identity of these migrants properly.. ffs a great many ppl aren't even from syria and let's face it, while a lot of families with kids have had to suffer, the vast majority of the migrants are still men in their 20s

i personally find it extremely hard to believe that one can properly fit into a society without speaking the language well and being sort of in line with the mentalities of the ppl.. muslims who've grown up here are perfectly accustomed to everything, but the refugees? i don't think so..

i do think we should turn a blind eye to the people who really are fleeing a war, but we shouldn't rush into things either.. there are loads of economic migrants among them

romanians, for instance, are also economic migrants. (i am romanian too if that wasn't clear) i know that everybody seems to think of us as cheap workforce, but there are so so many smart people from my country in the uk, not only in colleges and unis, but also in hospitals etc

i beg to differ - we're not just like the refugees. i'm applying to oxford because that's literally the best place on earth to study the stuff i'm passionate about, and the british govnt isn't going to give me any benefits. i'm not even eligible for a maintenance loan, for instance. refugees, on the other hand, require quite a lot of money ... taxpayer money, to be more specific

i got bored, so my rant's more or less over=)))
Original post by Napp
To the country as a whole.

Yeah they should however the British worker is fundamentally lazy to be perfectly honest and many refuse to fill certain jobs such as fruit picking and janitorial staff whilst migrants are happy to do those jobs. Yet the Poms then shout how their jobs are being stolen when they refuse to do them...

Are you 12?
Reply 31
Original post by KimKallstrom
Firstly, we wouldn't have the blood on lour hands because all them went through places where they had asylum. Plus countries like us actually pay for the camps in Turkey etc. You didn't think they paid for them did you?

Oh we pay for the camps in Turkey, that makes everything ok then. Please it is nothing more than passing the buck and sweeping it out of site. Who has been giving aid to rebels and conducting air strikes? you think those shorten the war?

As for the labour point.....no. We don't need more cheap labour. Especially since the vast majority of the jobs they'd do are being automated anyway. That's assuming they can do even those.

Err many people beg to differ especially in agriculture.
Did you just say that all the refugees are too stupid to do the most basic menial work?
And no, we didn't start the Syrian War. I know a lot of people have this weird self-hating paradigm that everything in the world ever is our fault but it doesn't mean that's reality. We're talking about a sectarian conflict started mostly by Assad and then inflamed and supported by people like Saudis and the Iranian regime. Also consider that these people are mainly fleeing Assad/Russian bombing and Jihadi groups who are partly self-funded, partly funded by rich Saudis/Qataris. The only reason they previously didn't get traction in Iraq and Syria is because of Saddam and Assad's Baathist oppression. The Syrian War started when Assad let the Jihadis out of jail so he had an excuse to massacre protesters against his stupid domestic policies and response to the drought. But unfortunately these facts don't fit in with the narrative of angst and delusional self-hatred some people have.

I didnt say we started it... I said we hold blame for its current state through aarming various people to bombing them as well.
I dont dispute that but as i said i didnt say we started it but we sure as hell stoked it and made it worse. For instance and this is purely in terms of ending in quickly no moral view on this but if we didnt disarm the Syrians of their more deadly weapons its feasable the war would be over or more so than now.

So no, there's no benefit whatsoever in taking in these people other than pure altruism. And even that doesn't account for the fact that most of them aren't even from Syria or Iraq lol.*

There is potential benefit and undeniable benefit to certain sectors. Whether those are against others interests is irrelevent.
I'm talking about The syrian and Iraqi refugees not the African and Afghan ones.

meh, it's cause brits have already got used to the irish i think
islamophobia is definitely a thing, so is terrorism, which may or may not be directly linked to it

Indeed I dont disagree with that.

i think the biggest mistake that the eu made was failing to check the identity of these migrants properly.. ffs a great many ppl aren't even from syria and let's face it, while a lot of families with kids have had to suffer, the vast majority of the migrants are still men in their 20s

aye although checking all of them probably wouldnt have helped much since all it takes is one to get through.
Oh yeah, by no means do i argue for just letting everyone in god no! Families and young children and certain professionals though.

i personally find it extremely hard to believe that one can properly fit into a society without speaking the language well and being sort of in line with the mentalities of the ppl.. muslims who've grown up here are perfectly accustomed to everything, but the refugees? i don't think so..

once again referring to Iraqi and Syrian ones most are of a secular nature anyway and the majority of them speak English...
i do think we should turn a blind eye to the people who really are fleeing a war, but we shouldn't rush into things either.. there are loads of economic migrants among them

romanians, for instance, are also economic migrants. (i am romanian too if that wasn't clear) i know that everybody seems to think of us as cheap workforce, but there are so so many smart people from my country in the uk, not only in colleges and unis, but also in hospitals etc

If i implied that romanians were only cheap labour i apologize. Indeed i know people go into all industries however there is a large number of eastern europeans working as cheap labour so a generalization occurs.

i beg to differ - we're not just like the refugees. i'm applying to oxford because that's literally the best place on earth to study the stuff i'm passionate about, and the british govnt isn't going to give me any benefits. i'm not even eligible for a maintenance loan, for instance. refugees, on the other hand, require quite a lot of money ... taxpayer money, to be more specific

i got bored, so my rant's more or less over=)))

i'm not sure what point you were making as the things you mentioned arent comparable at all. Funding refugee housing isnt really the same as university...?
Suffice it to say it is an unfair world on the one hand you may not get any gifts from the UK gvt but on the other hand you have a good standard of living and arent being bombed and starved...

either way let me be clear by no means do i support opening the flood gates for migrants and refugees however we do have a duty to help some of them be it a moral one or because we helped cause the current blood bath...
Reply 32
Original post by 0to100
Are you 12?

No. Kindly pound sand though.
Original post by Napp
Oh we pay for the camps in Turkey, that makes everything ok then. Please it is nothing more than passing the buck and sweeping it out of site. Who has been giving aid to rebels and conducting air strikes? you think those shorten the war?

Err many people beg to differ especially in agriculture.
Did you just say that all the refugees are too stupid to do the most basic menial work?

I didnt say we started it... I said we hold blame for its current state through aarming various people to bombing them as well.
I dont dispute that but as i said i didnt say we started it but we sure as hell stoked it and made it worse. For instance and this is purely in terms of ending in quickly no moral view on this but if we didnt disarm the Syrians of their more deadly weapons its feasable the war would be over or more so than now.

There is potential benefit and undeniable benefit to certain sectors. Whether those are against others interests is irrelevent.
I'm talking about The syrian and Iraqi refugees not the African and Afghan ones.

Indeed I dont disagree with that.

aye although checking all of them probably wouldnt have helped much since all it takes is one to get through.
Oh yeah, by no means do i argue for just letting everyone in god no! Families and young children and certain professionals though.

once again referring to Iraqi and Syrian ones most are of a secular nature anyway and the majority of them speak English...

i'm not sure what point you were making as the things you mentioned arent comparable at all. Funding refugee housing isnt really the same as university...?
Suffice it to say it is an unfair world on the one hand you may not get any gifts from the UK gvt but on the other hand you have a good standard of living and arent being bombed and starved...

either way let me be clear by no means do i support opening the flood gates for migrants and refugees however we do have a duty to help some of them be it a moral one or because we helped cause the current blood bath...

btw turkey was blackmailing the eu with those camps.. all they wanted was to enter the union, so they were like meh, if u don't pay us this crazy amount of money, we're gonna let you deal with them

the thing i disagreed with was the fact that you said eastern europeans were like the refugees. i certainly don't expect any 'gifts' from the british govnt, nor do i deserve any.. i was just saying that u don't have to pay anything for ppl like me to live in the uk, while for refugees u do

and yes it's true that romanians work at lower rates, and this is definitely a disadvantage for the british.. i too have experienced something similiar while working as an independent contractor.. it's not once that i didn't get a contract just because there was someone from india or philippines willing to do the job for a fraction of what i was asking for..
Original post by Napp
No. Kindly pound sand though.

??

If I had the energy I would argue how infantile your 1st post in the thread is.
Cheap labour maybe?
Original post by thickleftard
Picture, for one moment, the situation that Italy and Greece (the two main countries that these immigrants landed in) if Germany hadn't opened its borders. They would be suffering the full weight of the problems they cause, both the problems caused by mass movement of people and also the various but scarce problems associated with extremism. The burden has been spread across Europe, which means that these two economies are less likely to struggle.

Also, saving lives.

Neither Italy or Greece are under obligation to keep those people. They should have been immediately deported.

As Nulli once said, what we see now is a hunger games scenario where they risk death to get to Greece and Italy but are then rewarded.

Original post by Epistemolog y
They improve the economy or so I have heard

A larger labour force increases output however in the UK anybody earning less than about £20k is actually a net cost to the state anyway (health, education ect..) and these people being so deprived and uneducated are unlikely to be doing anything but menial labour.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending