The Student Room Group

It's not fair!!!

Ok, basically I got a job in Argos very recently and I noticed that all the guys were at the back doing the pickings whilst all the girls were at the tills. Obviously the pickings are a harder job because you have to climb ladders, walk around, carry items, keep saying 'repeat' to the stupid mic and you sweat. It's not fair that I'm the only girl doing that whilst all the other girls are just chilling at the till. They hardly move. Basically it's a less physically stressful job. I joined with a new girl and a new boy. The boy is in the back while the girl is in the till. And she's not even 18!! They said she has to be 18 to be at the till. But they suddenly changed their mind. I don't think it's fair that they made me be the only girl to have the more physically harder job whilst my fellow females have it easier. None of them have to climb ladders like me. I genuinely think they did it because I'm not good looking. Like they want all the pretty girls at the front to be sweet and attract customers. And since I'm the only unattractive female, they just chucked me in the back with the boys. Do you think it's fair and do you think I'm reading too much into this?

Scroll to see replies

If you don't like the hard work you're welcome to leave.
O thought youd alreadt selected your items before you got to the till.
Tell your manager its not fair or ask for an opportunity on the tills.
You cna always find another job.
Why is it not fair? Was the job you signed up for not what you got?
Reply 4
Lol don't play the ugly card, I've seen some butters girls at Argos before so don't even go there.

Have you even tried asking your manager if you can work at the tills?
Original post by chazwomaq
If you don't like the hard work you're welcome to leave.

That's not the point.
Original post by UWS
Lol don't play the ugly card, I've seen some butters girls at Argos before so don't even go there.

Have you even tried asking your manager if you can work at the tills?

But have you ever seen the girls at the back?
Shouldn't this thread be about how unfair it is that all the guys are doing the harder work whilst the women are doing the easy work (the tills)? The pay gap (if it even exists) between men and women doesn't seem so bad now, does it?
Just find out whether people ony do one job all the time or they get to swap over. Ask the manager if you can go on the tills.
Considering you only just started hen you are playing the hard done by card pretty early.
Original post by Ashley Crystal
Ok, basically I got a job in Argos very recently and I noticed that all the guys were at the back doing the pickings whilst all the girls were at the tills. Obviously the pickings are a harder job because you have to climb ladders, walk around, carry items, keep saying 'repeat' to the stupid mic and you sweat. It's not fair that I'm the only girl doing that whilst all the other girls are just chilling at the till. They hardly move. Basically it's a less physically stressful job. I joined with a new girl and a new boy. The boy is in the back while the girl is in the till. And she's not even 18!! They said she has to be 18 to be at the till. But they suddenly changed their mind. I don't think it's fair that they made me be the only girl to have the more physically harder job whilst my fellow females have it easier. None of them have to climb ladders like me. I genuinely think they did it because I'm not good looking. Like they want all the pretty girls at the front to be sweet and attract customers. And since I'm the only unattractive female, they just chucked me in the back with the boys. Do you think it's fair and do you think I'm reading too much into this?

You have a funny idea of what is fair. Why is it fair that males have to do a physically more challenging job and females get all of the lightweight jobs on the tills?

As someone who sometimes shops in Argos I can tell you it's not for the prettiness or otherwise of the till staff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you have any cash handling experience before you started?
Original post by !!mentor!!
Shouldn't this thread be about how unfair it is that all the guys are doing the harder work whilst the women are doing the easy work (the tills)? The pay gap (if it even exists) between men and women doesn't seem so bad now, does it?

The men should get paid more!!!
stuff your bra
Original post by Donkey******
Did you have any cash handling experience before you started?

No but neither did the 17 year old girl that started with me!
No but neither did the 17 year old girl that started with me!

Probably didn't want her out the back at 17, more likely to get hurt, paperwork's then too much effort.
My family just confirmed my thoughts. They said they put me at the back because I'm unattractive and because I don't have good hair and because my shirt is too baggy. I don't care what anyone says. What other reason did they just chuck me at the back with the boys? There's literally soooo many girls working there and they picked ONLY me to work with the boys? I'm sorry but that's no coincidence. Why pick me out of EVERYONE though?
My family just confirmed my thoughts. They said they put me at the back because I'm unattractive and because I don't have good hair and because my shirt is too baggy. I don't care what anyone says. What other reason did they just chuck me at the back with the boys? There's literally soooo many girls working there and they picked ONLY me to work with the boys? I'm sorry but that's no coincidence. Why pick me out of EVERYONE though?

You clearly have self confidence issues, and your family sound horrible if they'll tell you the same.

It most likely is coincidence, or they just don't have room on tills for all the new starters. Girls being pickers at Argos isn't uncommon.
I doubt they care what you look like, probably they prefer having girls on the front as boys are stronger so get more done at a physical job... and they maybe ran out of positions on the front so you're in the back for now

if you're unhappy speak to your manager
You clearly have self confidence issues, and your family sound horrible if they'll tell you the same.

It most likely is coincidence, or they just don't have room on tills for all the new starters. Girls being pickers at Argos isn't uncommon.

They ARE horrible and this is the **** i have to go through at home.

I agree.
If you want to be on the tills that much, then speak to your manager.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending