The Student Room Group

why do I lack interests?

I don't have any interests. I waste my time on the internet; that is probably how I didn't die of boredom and managed to reach the age of 18. At school I was good at a subject or two - good but not amazing at anything - and I sucked at subjects like English and History where opinions had to be expressed. It is as if my brain is half-empty. I could be asked a basic question, such as naming a hobby, but I have to rack my brains to answer. This really used to bother me when I had to do English speaking exams, I struggled to choose to a topic to talk about once--when the topic could have been absolutely anything. I can't even answer a question like 'what is your favourite colour?' because I don't have one. Any other 'favourites' question would probably not get an answer either. WTF is wrong with me :frown:.

I have just entered university, (barely) started a course that I know anything about and I don't know what I'm doing with my life. I have problems with my life - I am expected to study, then have the traditional marriage, have children, etc. (it's slightly worse than this). I don't want any of that marriage (or even relationship) business, but I don't have alternatives to get away from that. I don't have a passion for a particular subject or anything else which I could put my focus on so it seems as if I'm doomed.

I feel like blaming my parents who gave me a dull upbringing from the start of my teenage years as well as pressuring me to do study a specific course, which I tailored my A Levels subjects towards since I was too stupid at the time to realise I should do whatever I want. (They didn't tell me which subjects to do, that was entirely my decision, but since they told me which course to do, I picked the required/relevant subjects).

I think I'm just a boring individual. I wish I could fast-forward life. When I commute to university, I feel like a waste of space - like if I wasn't taking up a seat when I don't even want to be there, someone else could sit there.

Other than this lack of a life/personality/brain, I can get along with people easily. I am friendly enough, I can have conversations, small talk blah blah, they just aren't about me and what I do in my free time. But, ultimately, I suck.
I think to have interests and preferences you just have to experience a bit. So put yourself out there and try some stuff, you'll realise what you do and don't like and can choose some interests accordingly
Reply 2
Original post by doodle_333
I think to have interests and preferences you just have to experience a bit. So put yourself out there and try some stuff, you'll realise what you do and don't like and can choose some interests accordingly

thanks for replying.
Reply 3
I wouldn't say I have lost my interest in things, I was never particularly interesting in anything to begin with. I mean, I like video games sometimes so I do play and I like sports but haven't done any sort of exercise since school because it's a little difficult for me to find somewhere I can go, and even then my parents will probably be confused or something as to why I'm going! But other than this, when it comes to academics, I can't say I find anything interesting. I like the idea of studying though, probably more so than actually studying...:s-smilie:

I don't think I have depression; I am sad due to the situation I am in, however I tend to forget about my problems easily so they are not always on my mind.

I just wish I had a passion, something to work towards, so that I could be motivated to work and actually be successful. I don't think help I require help from a doctor.

But thanks :smile:
Reply 4
Okay, saying I have no interests was an exaggeration/ not so accurate. I like reading, watching TV, playing games. I suppose I meant passion. But I believe I am boring person nonetheless.

You actually don't know how difficult it would be for me to go outside for a run lol. I know it sounds ridiculous. And it is. That's my life.

Academically I can't tell you what I'm interested in. I might tell you like a certain subject, but the truth is I would only like it because I am half decent at it so can get good grades in it.

I could definitely try to help myself yeah.

Thanks again!
Reply 5
I can attempt pushups.
Thanks man, I think you are right that it is a matter of perspective - I can admit I am lazy so I need to simply start doing stuff, like some pushups

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending