The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry 2016/17

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nuba123
lol I vaguely remember that for biology I picked something about cell membranes - we'll see how that works out lol

Got so much catching up to do after this darn UKCAT :'(
Original post by .......Jeff458
Got so much catching up to do after this darn UKCAT :'(

I am currently in the catch up process - it's not great. Actually I am writing my personal statement - I'll be able to properly catch up after that. But don't stress you'll get there!
Original post by Nuba123
I am currently in the catch up process - it's not great. Actually I am writing my personal statement - I'll be able to properly catch up after that. But don't stress you'll get there!

Which subjects did you end up taking again?

I am writing my personal statement too. It's coming along better now thankfully but I am 2000 over haha. That's the only big problem!
Which subjects did you end up taking again?

I am writing my personal statement too. It's coming along better now thankfully but I am 2000 over haha. That's the only big problem!

I'm doing three advanced highers in chemistry, biology and maths - what are you studying? And I'm the opposite I'm like 1000 characters under - just need to flesh out my extracurricular stuff! :biggrin:
Original post by Nuba123
I'm doing three advanced highers in chemistry, biology and maths - what are you studying? And I'm the opposite I'm like 1000 characters under - just need to flesh out my extracurricular stuff! :biggrin:

Same subjects hahaha.

I am so screwed for my character count. I don't really want to remove anything though :frown:

Genuinely confused as to what to do!
Same subjects hahaha.

I am so screwed for my character count. I don't really want to remove anything though :frown:

The best advice I can offer is to not omit anything that proves that you have the skills and qualities to be a doctor - I'm not really sure though. Maybe try to identify bits that could be more concise?
Original post by Nuba123
The best advice I can offer is to not omit anything that proves that you have the skills and qualities to be a doctor - I'm not really sure though. Maybe try to identify bits that could be more concise?

Yeah I guess so. It's a rough time when our UKCAT and personal statement deadlines clash haha and my ucas choices lol
Same subjects hahaha.

If you are 2000 over, you are waffling way to much. Cut stuff out, be concise, don't try to fit EVERYTHING you have ever done and relate it to medicine, pick a select few and make it sound very very good. For example, I went abroad and volunteering for 5 weeks, something you would think would be an amazing addition to a PS. I didn't mention it once on the PS or interview cause I chose other things that were easier to write/talk about.
Yeah I guess so. It's a rough time when our UKCAT and personal statement deadlines clash haha and my ucas choices lol

Hey Jeff, What are your UCAS choices ? Just wondering where you are thinking of going.
Original post by Ethan100
Hey Jeff, What are your UCAS choices ? Just wondering where you are thinking of going.

Sup, hope nat 5 treated you well XD

Depends on my UKCAT really but probably Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Oxford and Pharmacy back up at RGU.

Judging by my UKCAT scores, I may end up just doing pharmacy.

I wanted to apply to UCL and Imperial but I am not allowed by Law apparently. You have to be 18 before the course starts and I will turn 18 2 months AFTER the course starts. So that's just brilliant isn't it! I contacted them to see if this was BS but it was actually correct so they said I would automatically get rejected which isn't much fun

Just written my personal statement today ( a first draft) I'm actually so shocked at myself for not leaving it the night before the UCAS deadline... :biggrin:
Original post by Nuba123
Just written my personal statement today ( a first draft) I'm actually so shocked at myself for not leaving it the night before the UCAS deadline... :biggrin:

I'm on my 11th Draft but the cutting down will take a while! But I am that far on only because our school has an internal deadline
I'm on my 11th Draft but the cutting down will take a while! But I am that far on only because our school has an internal deadline

Oh okay that makes me feel better.:biggrin: I kinda had to figure out everything myself tbh.:frown:
Original post by Nuba123
Oh okay that makes me feel better.:biggrin: I kinda had to figure out everything myself tbh.:frown:

Oh, that kinda suck tbh, ngl.

See for the ukcat, my QR scores are dropping so bad it's unbelievable. My recent mock was 533 and I guessed so many of them :'(.

Is this familiar to you or were you hitting high? I am actually so scared that I feel like dua's not making a difference anymore
Oh, that kinda suck tbh, ngl.

See for the ukcat, my QR scores are dropping so bad it's unbelievable. My recent mock was 533 and I guessed so many of them :'(.

Is this familiar to you or were you hitting high? I am actually so scared that I feel like dua's not making a difference anymore

What company are you using? Kaplan or ISC? Or Medify? What you get in your mocks isn't reflective of what you'll get in you actual test. For QR I got 650 in the real thing but in mocks I was <500. And dua does make a difference - believe me sometimes considering my past I can't believe I'm in a position that I can ACTUALLY send an application for medicine and not even that, it could even be considered somewhat competitive. And lol hitting high? NO WAY. I had basically given up half way through VR but still managed 590, 650, 610 and band 2. My score isn't good enough for a lot of unis but sometimes you just have to take a chance - don't give up yet you're already at the gateway to studying medicine, whatever you do get a better score than me. I've got the lowest score amongst all the people I know that are applying for dentistry/medicine. :biggrin: But Alhumdulilah always.
Original post by Nuba123
What company are you using? Kaplan or ISC? Or Medify? What you get in your mocks isn't reflective of what you'll get in you actual test. For QR I got 650 in the real thing but in mocks I was <500. And dua does make a difference - believe me sometimes considering my past I can't believe I'm in a position that I can ACTUALLY send an application for medicine and not even that, it could even be considered somewhat competitive. And lol hitting high? NO WAY. I had basically given up half way through VR but still managed 590, 650, 610 and band 2. My score isn't good enough for a lot of unis but sometimes you just have to take a chance - don't give up yet you're already at the gateway to studying medicine, whatever you do get a better score than me. I've got the lowest score amongst all the people I know that are applying for dentistry/medicine. :biggrin: But Alhumdulilah always.

I am using Kaplan, Medify, ISC, Official Mocks, UKCAT Ninja, Kaplan book and Blackstone tutors.

Yet still my scores avergae 550 ish :'(. Your score is really good! If I got your score I would be really happy! Roughly how many questions did you guess in each section apart from SJ because I presume you finished?

Please make dua and yeah I have come a long way too. I was told I was going to fail Biology as I got the lowest mark in the year at one point and in mock exams out of 8 subjects I got 1A then in S4 finals I got 8A's alhumdulillah and 5A's now :smile:

I really hope you get in, you are such a nice person!!! :smile:
I am using Kaplan, Medify, ISC, Official Mocks, UKCAT Ninja, Kaplan book and Blackstone tutors.

Yet still my scores avergae 550 ish :'(. Your score is really good! If I got your score I would be really happy! Roughly how many questions did you guess in each section apart from SJ because I presume you finished?

Please make dua and yeah I have come a long way too. I was told I was going to fail Biology as I got the lowest mark in the year at one point and in mock exams out of 8 subjects I got 1A then in S4 finals I got 8A's alhumdulillah and 5A's now :smile:

I really hope you get in, you are such a nice person!!! :smile:

I would say the best resource for me was the online practise tests - despite having bought stuff from kaplan, ISC and UniAdmissions. Btw I'm sure you'll do great in QR because the questions are SO EASY except my timing was rubbish tbqh I guessed maybe 15 questions in QR for VR I probably guessed like half of them. I guessed the vast majority of AR questions - the ones I couldn't really figure out so you could say like 20-30ish questions were guessed. So if I had just practised my timing more I would've done better - I think. I cannot emphasize enough how crucial timing is btw I totally underestimated this and thought "it'll be fine on the day" which isn't exactly what happened lmao. And wow, well done on biology that's great to hear your hard work paid off. Just out of interest do you go to private school? Because you said you got the lowest mark but still got an A. Believe me people at my school who failed didn't do too well (like didn't get a grade) in their final exams. And haha, thanks we'll see tbh and same to you! I have a feeling you're not going to have much trouble getting in. :smile: :biggrin:
Original post by Nuba123
I would say the best resource for me was the online practise tests - despite having bought stuff from kaplan, ISC and UniAdmissions. Btw I'm sure you'll do great in QR because the questions are SO EASY except my timing was rubbish tbqh I guessed maybe 15 questions in QR for VR I probably guessed like half of them. I guessed the vast majority of AR questions - the ones I couldn't really figure out so you could say like 20-30ish questions were guessed. So if I had just practised my timing more I would've done better - I think. I cannot emphasize enough how crucial timing is btw I totally underestimated this and thought "it'll be fine on the day" which isn't exactly what happened lmao. And wow, well done on biology that's great to hear your hard work paid off. Just out of interest do you go to private school? Because you said you got the lowest mark but still got an A. Believe me people at my school who failed didn't do too well (like didn't get a grade) in their final exams. And haha, thanks we'll see tbh and same to you! I have a feeling you're not going to have much trouble getting in. :smile: :biggrin:

I don't understand because I feel like I get them right but end up coming with <500 at times!!!

Yeah timing does suck. I never finish VR or come close. QR is still tight for me having missed out like 15 of them. So yh me too basically.

Thanks! :smile: Yeas, I do go to private school. I moved there in S3. I did get a really low mark like I remember it was 5 marks in TOTAL :/ I just ended up working the whole Summer and the whole next year and it paid off :smile: Do you go to private school?

I really don't know what to do tbh. If my score is bad I won't have the bother to take a gap year but I don't really want to do anything else and a gap year is just A WHOLE YEAR out. What would you do if worst case scenario we don't get in?

Inshallah we will XD
I don't understand because I feel like I get them right but end up coming with <500 at times!!!

Yeah timing does suck. I never finish VR or come close. QR is still tight for me having missed out like 15 of them. So yh me too basically.

Thanks! :smile: Yeas, I do go to private school. I moved there in S3. I did get a really low mark like I remember it was 5 marks in TOTAL :/ I just ended up working the whole Summer and the whole next year and it paid off :smile: Do you go to private school?

I really don't know what to do tbh. If my score is bad I won't have the bother to take a gap year but I don't really want to do anything else and a gap year is just A WHOLE YEAR out. What would you do if worst case scenario we don't get in?

Inshallah we will XD

Hey man how's it going ? I see you've got an excessive amount of dots in your username now. Anyway how'd your exams go ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I don't got to private school - sadly lol. I kinda wish I did so I could've done physics as well as chemistry and biology but oh well it didn't "fit in the columns". :frown: how many people in your year group that you know of are applying for medicine/dentistry? For me, I only know like 3 other people including those that don't go to my school. I was speaking to my guidance teacher and idk feel like she thinks "really? You, for medicine?? BAHAHAH" But my career advisor was really good basically I thought I was a bad communicator but she really helped me realise that I was a lot better than I thought I was (shout out to her) XD Also I really don't think you have anything to worry about it - for real. Like you seem like one of those people that is going to come out with an average of 800 or something 😂😂 and also has their life really together. Insh Allah we do I'll keep you updated on my ucas journey but as my 5th option I'm applying for neuroscience wby? Oh wait you already said pharmacy. My bad. Lol. But I think I'll end up with a gap year as graduate medicine is generally more competitive than undergrad and a lot of unis like re-applyerd because they're more mature and it shows their commitment. So it's work considering. Also earlier today I was really heavily thinking about Oxbridge but then after looking at some BMAT past papers I changed my mind. 😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending