The Student Room Group

Choosing Cambridge College for Maths

Its nearing the end of September and I still havent decided on a college to apply to for maths. I've looked at the big ones i.e. trinity and kings and they look amazing but i fear that i wont make the cut. Is there too much of a difference between colleges and if so how do i decide? My A-level maths and fm grades are below so would relaly appreciate any feedback:

(I was stupid enough to do c1 and c2 in y10 so these are what i got)
c1=80 c2=70
(then i resat in y11 someone pls tell me if they'll ignore previous results)
c1=c2=c3=c4=s1=m1=d1=100
y12: fp1=fp2=m2=100 s2=96

Many thnx

Scroll to see replies

Well, Trinity is known for Maths so they have a lot of Maths offers to give out - around 70 a year! Your grades look good, but I don't know if they'll put any influence on the first results, but I assume they won't as you did them so early!!! Hard to know without GCSEs, other AS results, PS and internal exam results, but I wouldn't be scared of applying to Trinity/Kings with those results.
There's not lots of difference between colleges, and they're all really friendly. You'll visit other sites as well during your degree - its not like colleges are 100% insular.

My criteria for choosing included stuff like how much of the accommodation is on site, how good is the accommodation, is it central, does it look nice, do they have kitchens - find out what's important to you and see which college fits! There's a list of pros and cons for each on TSR somewhere - really helpful! But if you loved somewhere when you saw it, apply there - you never know! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Rachel58
Well, Trinity is known for Maths so they have a lot of Maths offers to give out - around 70 a year! Your grades look good, but I don't know if they'll put any influence on the first results, but I assume they won't as you did them so early!!! Hard to know without GCSEs, other AS results, PS and internal exam results, but I wouldn't be scared of applying to Trinity/Kings with those results.
There's not lots of difference between colleges, and they're all really friendly. You'll visit other sites as well during your degree - its not like colleges are 100% insular.

My criteria for choosing included stuff like how much of the accommodation is on site, how good is the accommodation, is it central, does it look nice, do they have kitchens - find out what's important to you and see which college fits! There's a list of pros and cons for each on TSR somewhere - really helpful! But if you loved somewhere when you saw it, apply there - you never know! :smile:

Trinity looks so nice!!! At gcses i got 9A* 1BTEC distinction(which i was told wont count) and A^in gcse fm. At other AS levels i did the linear ones but I got A*AAAA with A* in maths i took early and the rest being fm,bio,chem,phys
I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that those grades would guarantee to put you at least in the winter pool.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 11234
Trinity looks so nice!!! At gcses i got 9A* 1BTEC distinction(which i was told wont count) and A^in gcse fm. At other AS levels i did the linear ones but I got A*AAAA with A* in maths i took early and the rest being fm,bio,chem,phys

Apply to Trinity.
Reply 5
Original post by BobBobson
I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that those grades would guarantee to put you at least in the winter pool.

i dont know what or how pooling works pls explain? Is there a min requirement
(edited 7 years ago)

I don't think pooling is guaranteed for maths/medicine, but with those UMS...
Original post by 11234
i dont know what or how pooling works pls explain? Is there a min requirement

If you don't get an offer from the College you applied to (or from the first college allocated to you for an open application), but they still think you're good enough for Cambridge, then you get put in a pool where other colleges can steal you. Statistically half the people put into the pool get snagged by another college. I believe there is some criteria for being automatically put into the pool if your first choice college doesn't give you an offer.
Reply 8
Original post by EricPiphany
I don't think pooling is guaranteed for maths/medicine, but with those UMS...

I think i saw you on a few cambridge threads what college did you get into?
Original post by 11234
I think i saw you on a few cambridge threads what college did you get into?

John's
Reply 10
John's

for maths?
Original post by 11234
for maths?

ye
Reply 12

Nope, there's no auto-pool for Maths.
Reply 13
ye

boi congrats what did you get in step?
Reply 14
Original post by Zacken
Nope, there's no auto-pool for Maths.

ffs is there a pool at all and if so how do u qualify
Reply 15
@OP, don't worry about competitiveness of the college, apply to one that you like the feel and look of.
Reply 16
Original post by 11234
ffs is there a pool at all and if so how do u qualify

Yes, there is a pool... obviously.

You qualify if the admissions tutor thinks you're good enough to be at Cambridge but there aren't enough places at his or her college, so they put you in the pool for other colleges to consider.
Apply wherever, with those grades you are guaranteed an interview so there is no point in trying to game the system. Some things to think about: large college vs a small one, old vs new (both have pros and cons), central location vs Girton, number of mathematicians, accommodation quality and price, and general reputation (e.g. Trinity is rich, academic, has lots of mathematicians, King's is left-wing).
Reply 18
Original post by Zacken
@OP, don't worry about competitiveness of the college, apply to one that you like the feel and look of.

thnx what're the class sizes and differences between colleges apart from accomodation.
Reply 19
Original post by 11234
thnx what're the class sizes and differences between colleges apart from accomodation.

What's class size? If you mean the number of people doing the same subject at the same college as you, you can check that for yourself on the camb website. Ditto for number of people in the same year as you in the same college.

And there are millions of tiny differences between each college, I can't possibly list them all.

Quick Reply

Latest