The Student Room Group

Will it get any better?

I just feel so sad and let down as I'm a medical student and a couple of days ago, I had a first aid course and I struggled with the abdominal thrusts on the mannequin whilst everyone in my group found it easier.
I told my teacher I'm finding this difficult and she responded with 'I can see that', without offering much advice. I feel so let down and like I'm not as good as everyone else especially as I struggled during my first PBL session.
Reply 1
Different people find different things hard. Being a medical student is not an easy thing to do. Perhaps comparing yourself to everybody else isn't such a useful way of coping with that?
Reply 2
I really don't understand people like you, do you think I haven't worked hard to be here? I'm a human with feelings too.
Original post by Anonymous
I really don't understand people like you, do you think I haven't worked hard to be here? I'm a human with feelings too.

That's my point. If you can get into medical school you can do pretty much anything. Just believe in yourself
Harsh words I'm afraid, but you are going to have to toughen up. A medical degree and the ongoing study and work afterwards is one of the most intense and challenging you can do. If you don't have inner strength and a resilient personality, perhaps medicine is not the thing for you?
I just feel so sad and let down as I'm a medical student and a couple of days ago, I had a first aid course and I struggled with the abdominal thrusts on the mannequin whilst everyone in my group found it easier.
I told my teacher I'm finding this difficult and she responded with 'I can see that', without offering much advice. I feel so let down and like I'm not as good as everyone else especially as I struggled during my first PBL session.

Listen - you will never ever have to perform CPR on a mannequin or the Heimlich manoeuvre.

I was rubbish at the first aid too - sometimes it just takes a bit longer.

I had a refresher first aid at my hospital - as we have to do every year and yet again I was terrible - yet a couple of weeks later I saved someones life *- out on a ski slope - using what I had been taught - and it all came back to me - in the right manner . *Take heart.
Reply 6
Original post by ByEeek
Harsh words I'm afraid, but you are going to have to toughen up. A medical degree and the ongoing study and work afterwards is one of the most intense and challenging you can do. If you don't have inner strength and a resilient personality, perhaps medicine is not the thing for you?

I was feeling disheartened more by the fact that I wasn't offered more support as a student straight out of sixth form during freshers week. I thought that rather than a comment like that, I would've been offered more tips on how to improve. But I'm going to practice, and hopefully I'll get better.
Reply 7
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Listen - you will never ever have to perform CPR on a mannequin or the Heimlich manoeuvre.

I was rubbish at the first aid too - sometimes it just takes a bit longer.

I had a refresher first aid at my hospital - as we have to do every year and yet again I was terrible - yet a couple of weeks later I saved someones life *- out on a ski slope - using what I had been taught - and it all came back to me - in the right manner . *Take heart.

Thank you very much! I'm going to practice more and hopefully improve! This has made me feel much better and motivated :smile:
I was feeling disheartened more by the fact that I wasn't offered more support as a student straight out of sixth form during freshers week. I thought that rather than a comment like that, I would've been offered more tips on how to improve. But I'm going to practice, and hopefully I'll get better.

maybe they just weren't very concerned? people will pick things up at different rates and have different strengths... maybe everyone else has tried that before? maybe you were nervous and psyched yourself out? don't worry about it, it's your first week just leave some stress behind and try and move forwards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending