The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by r4dd3r5
How much time should you allocate to each question in the exam? As in how long on the multiple choice (q1) in total, then how much on q2, q3, etc?

There's up to 100 marks available, and you've got 2 and a half hours available, so that's approx 1.5 minutes per mark. This suggest that, as a general guide, you should spend around an hour on the multiple choice (6 minutes a question), and 22 minutes and 30 seconds on each 15-marker.

In reality, this isn't the case - not all marks are created equally. For example, you most likely won't need 6 minutes for the early multiple choice questions, but you might need a lot more than that for the later questions. And earlier parts of 15-markers are usually more accessible than later parts.

In terms of timekeeping, my advice would be:

* Go through the multiple choice, and complete as much of it as you can. In particular, the early questions are great for a warm-up, and can give you some much-needed confidence for later questions. If you're not sure about something after a few minutes, leave it - you'll come back to multiple choice later on.
* Of the 4 remaining questions, complete them from most to least comfortable. By the end, you should complete all of them, but that confidence boost in tackling easier questions is important - and you won't have to worry about running out of times on questions you know the answer too. If you can, try and complete whole questions. The way questions "lead you on" from beginning to end - for example defining a function, asking you to compute a few early iterations of the function, then asking you to deduce certain properties of the function in general - is designed to make you more comfortable. It's easier to follow that line of thought if you do so in one shot.
* Go back to the multiple choice, check your previous answers thoroughly - substituting in values can be very helpful with this - and try some questions you skipped earlier. Remember that any working you write will be seen, even if you don't get the right answer - having something down, even if it's only vaguely relevant, is better than a blank page. If all else fails, take an educated guess after you've eliminated one or two answers.
* Check the fuller questions (this often isn't quite as necessary for some questions - there's a lot of "show that" - but it's still useful), and fill in any gaps you have.
This should give you enough time to get all the questions done that you're good at, and take a really good crack at those you're not so sure about.

Now this works for me, but ultimately when it comes to timekeeping individual preferences are very important. Maybe this works for you, or perhaps you prefer to "complete" each question (answer it fully, and check it thoroughly) before moving on. The best thing you can do is to practice, and find what works for you.
Original post by KloppOClock
is cot,sec and csc c1/c2??

Na thats just some of the early papers. I wouldnt worry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Na thats just some of the early papers. I wouldnt worry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

too late now, ive learnt them all
anyone know how i should start this, without telling me the answer?
anyone know how i should start this, without telling me the answer?

Think about the possible values that sinx and cosx can take.
Original post by lewman99
Think about the possible values that sinx and cosx can take.

think i got it now. thanks
For MAT 2009 question 4(v) i'm having trouble starting. Not really sure whether i understand the question so can someone give me a few hints? So far i guess this point cannot lie on the y-axis if not a will not be unique and i tried to form an equation for |RQ| with R(x,y) something like that?
Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 2.44.56 pm.png
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by danielhx
For MAT 2009 question 4(v) i'm having trouble starting. Not really sure whether i understand the question so can someone give me a few hints? So far i guess this point cannot lie on the y-axis if not a will not be unique and i tried to form an equation for |RQ| with R(x,y) something like that?

a hint would be to think about magnitude

The point can lie on the y-axis. Thing outside the box (i.e. the graph) :tongue:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
The point can lie on the y-axis. Thing outside the box (i.e. the graph) :tongue:

i'm not quite sure i understand you. can you explain?
i'm not quite sure i understand you. can you explain?

It is not shown on the graph, but remember you can be on the negative y-axis as well.
so i just found out that UCl are doing some MAT preparation sessions, are any other unis doing this?
so i just found out that UCl are doing some MAT preparation sessions, are any other unis doing this?

Really? Are you sure it is not just endorsed by UCL and done by Luciano Rila? Since they do STEP ones on integral and some live chat thing but they weren't that good tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
does anyone have the answer to the first part of 4i 2011, the mark scheme doesnt say
does anyone have the answer to the first part of 4i 2011, the mark scheme doesnt say

Doesn't it? I mean, I presume you can draw the graphs, and it gives the largest value of x + y.
Doesn't it? I mean, I presume you can draw the graphs, and it gives the largest value of x + y.

it doesnt show a pic of the correct graphs
it doesnt show a pic of the correct graphs

Do you not trust yourself to sketch straight lines correctly? :s-smilie:
Do you not trust yourself to sketch straight lines correctly? :s-smilie:

....and curved lines
....and curved lines

Curved lines. Lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile