The Student Room Group

2017 Consulting summer internships/Graduate scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by roflcakes1
Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys know whether previous applications to a firm will harm my current chances? Basically - have just been rejected from Deloitte without even an invitation to online tests, despite a first class Oxford degree, internship at the department of business, a marketing internship, and various other involvements with university societies (and with the Oxford careers service being very complimentary of my cover letter/experience). My previous applications were tbh pretty rubbish and half-hearted - I mainly applied because I felt pressure from my university/social group, and was no where near as qualified in experience as I am now, and didn't really have the motivation that I now do so they were either rejected, or withdrawn by myself.

I know the scheme is super competitive but I would have thought I'd at least be given the chance to take the tests - and looking at the LinkedIn of current associates, they seem similarly (or even less) qualified than myself. I've also applied to a few others last week and haven't received a response/ test invite (not sure how long it takes and whether this is a bad sign?!)

I'm feeling really disheartened at this and worried that I won't have a chance now I've made all the applications - please advise! (and feel free to say if you think I'm over-reacting)

Just keep applying, and ask for feedback wherever possible. Applying to jobs unfortunately is not like applying to university, where with everything in place you could at least get an interview or an offer, there are simply too many people out there gunning for the same thing as you are and despite 'conventional' success (Oxford degree, marketing internship etc) if it's not conveyed appropriately to a recruiter or you don't quite communicate your strengths well, you may very much end up in the rejection pile.

Take it on the chin, and trudge on - you can't expect nor anticipate much with these processes.

As for not hearing, it's better than a straight out no.. It's a matter of patience really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 101
Hey guys, has anyone applied to Accenture yet? Was just filling out the form for there Strategy position and they ask what our minimum salary requirement would be, any idea for what to put there? I was thinking of just writing something like Negotiable :tongue:
Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys know whether previous applications to a firm will harm my current chances? Basically - have just been rejected from Deloitte without even an invitation to online tests, despite a first class Oxford degree, internship at the department of business, a marketing internship, and various other involvements with university societies (and with the Oxford careers service being very complimentary of my cover letter/experience). My previous applications were tbh pretty rubbish and half-hearted - I mainly applied because I felt pressure from my university/social group, and was no where near as qualified in experience as I am now, and didn't really have the motivation that I now do so they were either rejected, or withdrawn by myself.

I know the scheme is super competitive but I would have thought I'd at least be given the chance to take the tests - and looking at the LinkedIn of current associates, they seem similarly (or even less) qualified than myself. I've also applied to a few others last week and haven't received a response/ test invite (not sure how long it takes and whether this is a bad sign?!)

I'm feeling really disheartened at this and worried that I won't have a chance now I've made all the applications - please advise! (and feel free to say if you think I'm over-reacting)

Depends when you last applied really. Some firms require you to wait a number of months before applying again, others like EY just go on the cycle.

I wouldn't worry too much at the moment. I've got interviews and assessment centres with some firms, but not passed first screening at one.
Original post by Cerdic
Depends when you last applied really. Some firms require you to wait a number of months before applying again, others like EY just go on the cycle.

I wouldn't worry too much at the moment. I've got interviews and assessment centres with some firms, but not passed first screening at one.

Thanks - it was last year. Bit complicated but at the time I only applied to graduate schemes last year because I felt a lot of pressure from my university and social circle to do so. I didn't have half the experience I have today (which I developed over the past 6 months) and wasn't really motivated at all - hence why my applications were a bit rubbish. Hence why I'm quite disheartened that a silly decision on my part last year might influence my applications today.

And yes - as someone said above, I did wonder if in Deloitte's case it was because it was relatively late in the application process - but I applied to Deloitte the day they re-opened applications in September. As for the other firms, I haven't heard back re online tests, but know a few people who applied very near the October deadlines and still got through to the interview stage.

I will admit that I find it harder to answer application form questions based on very specific questions, and much prefer to submit a cover letter where I can fully demonstrate my experience (particularly since some of it is voluntary, so doesn't really get mentioned if they only ask for employment).
(edited 7 years ago)
With PWV for strategy& what are we suppose to put in our cover letter when they also ask us why PWC and why this division. I feel like that is 2/3 of my cover letter.
Have people been uploading their CV and/or cover letter in the EY application?
Original post by JessicaPearson
True but one can hope haha. Well I've done a few numerical tests for other applications so I'm finding timing okay but it often depends on the test. I finished one numerical with 5 minutes to spare and with a harder one I was working right up to the last 10 seconds! Just try to remain calm, work quickly (but be thorough) and most importantly have confidence in yourself.

Have you heard anything since doing the tests?
Original post by Naomi12
Have you heard anything since doing the tests?

I literally just completed them! Have you?
Reply 108
May be a good idea if we create a google doc with all links and deadlines for the consulting internships. Only really concerns summer for though but could be useful for the ones of you applying for grad schemes as well?
Reply 109
Guys I'm in college, and I have an interest in some graduate schemes I have seen online, I was going to apply for some but I'm in fear that maybe these schemes aren't maybe for college students so my application would be discarded. What do you guys think about this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could someone give some advice regarding the length of a CV? I know the standard recommendation is 1 page - which I have stuck to for the big consulting firms since I know they are more strict. However, I do not feel as though this length really demonstrates my experiences - especially since a lot of my past experiences have developed a lot of transferable skills but are not directly consulting per se (e.g. developed commercial awareness in a marketing internship, research skills in society research roles etc). So should I take a chance and submit a longer CV for consultancies that aren't the top 5-10, or are they still likely to look down on it?
Original post by B4sh
Guys I'm in college, and I have an interest in some graduate schemes I have seen online, I was going to apply for some but I'm in fear that maybe these schemes aren't maybe for college students so my application would be discarded. What do you guys think about this

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right, they aren't, so there's no point applying for them. You could look into school leaver/apprenticeship schemes. A fair few firms do them.
Original post by ehamilton96
Hi!

I applied for the Deloitte summer internship as a consultant. I did this over a week ago and since then received an email asking about why i had a gap year, was then told my application would be processed shortly but then heard nothing back and it's been 5 days since then. I'm worried as people are saying it takes 3 days that perhaps there is something wrong? Should I email the same person asking when I should hear back by as I haven't even got to the test stage yet it still says "under consideration" :/

Gap year between school and uni? Didn't think firms worried about that...
Anyone been invited to/have completed the deloitte blended assessment?
Original post by AenigmaFx
Anyone been invited to/have completed the deloitte blended assessment?

Yeah, I've done it. It's quite the marathon, but not all that hard. They give you great feedback as well.
Reply 115
Hi all,

The same happened to me - I'm an undergrad at Warwick, predicted 2:1, I interned in Finance over the summer, I run a society at my university, among other activities, and I was rejected without any progression. It's disheartening to not even have the chance to take the online tests! I'll admit that my answers/CV may not have been tailored enough to Deloitte, but I'd have thought that with so many steps in the application process I'd have at least done enough to warrant a test invitation!
I have a Deloitte assessment centre coming up for management consultancy summer scheme. Anyone know when actual dates are released/any ideas?

Thank you.
Original post by Foxab77
I have a Deloitte assessment centre coming up for management consultancy summer scheme. Anyone know when actual dates are released/any ideas?

Thank you.

Congrats! Did you receive the email today? Did you have any interviews? When did you do the tests? Sorry if Im asking to many questions. Deloitte is probably one of the main places im interested in so yeah heh

I would assume it would be around the middle of October.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AenigmaFx
Congrats! Did you receive the email today? Did you have any interviews? When did you do the tests? Sorry if Im asking to many questions. Deloitte is probably one of the main places im interested in so yeah heh

I would assume it would be around the middle of October.

I submitted it late august, did the tests and got invited first week Sept.

How many other places have you applied to thus far.
Original post by Foxab77
I submitted it late august, did the tests and got invited first week Sept.

How many other places have you applied to thus far.

Ah ok, so quite a bit earlier than me. I only just did my tests yesterday.

Ive applied to quite a fair bit of places, 15+ at least, though I dont have much hope for them.

Quick Reply

Latest