The Student Room Group

Article: Oxford ranked best university in the world; European nations slip down league table

You can view the page at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=27100-oxford-ranked-best-university-in-the-world-european-nations-slip-down-league-table

Oxford knocks five-time champion California Institute of Technology into second place

Cambridge and Imperial College London join Oxford in top 10

UK has 91 universities in top 980 THE’s biggest world rankings to date (up from 78 last year)

13 UK new entrants this year two of which went straight into the 301-350 cohort

But Oxford vice-chancellor hits out at lack of funding, tighter government regulations and Brexit as potential threats to its future

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Slay a bit, Oxford.
Links lead to a 404 on TSR:frown:
What happened to Harvard and MIT?
Original post by Shazen

They will become branches of Oxford offering things like 'modern furniture making' and 'contemporary media'.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
They will become branches of Oxford offering things like 'modern furniture making' and 'contemporary media'.

Oh I see!
Original post by Shazen

Harvard is still No 1 on US News and ARWU but knocked off elsewhere for quite some time. MIT has only been No 1 on QS.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Harvard is still No 1 on US News and ARWU but knocked off elsewhere for quite some time. MIT has only been No 1 on QS.

Ohh ok, thanks for clarifying this.

All the sorts of things these ghastly new money types do.

I see Harvard is still trying to pretend there is such a thing as "American History". To put it in their terms - "B*cth, please. The London Underground started running during whilst you were having your little Civil War".

I propose Harvard and Yale are incorporated as satellite colleges of Durham. Columbia will from now on be referred to as "UCL:NY" They even look the same.
Original post by Shazen
Ohh ok, thanks for clarifying this.

Harvard is still the best performing one overall though, of course that does depend on which tables you're counting. But they're also by far the richest so they're just performing as they should be.

If there was a "table of tables" of international rankings, Oxford would be above Cambridge.
Harvard is still the best performing one overall though, of course that does depend on which tables you're counting. But they're also by far the richest so they're just performing as they should be.

If there was a "table of tables" of international rankings, Oxford would be above Cambridge.

Yeah that's true, and you looking at one table I thought how did Oxford become the best university in the world?
Original post by Shazen
Yeah that's true, and you looking at one table I thought how did Oxford become the best university in the world?

TSR likes using QS probably because they rank UK universities very very well. You hardly see anyone talking about US News or ARWU, ie rankings that have only two UK universities in the Top 10.

And on QS, Cambridge, Harvard, and now MIT have been No 1, which is the entire reason why the three are so reverend on TSR.
TSR likes using QS probably because they rank UK universities very very well. You hardly see anyone talking about US News or ARWU, ie rankings that have only two UK universities in the Top 10.

And on QS, Cambridge, Harvard, and now MIT have been No 1, which is the entire reason why the three are so reverend on TSR.

Ohh, what do you study at Oxford?
Let's be frank - how does one even differentiate between the top, top universities? You can't really conclusively state that Oxford is better than Camb/Harvard/MIT and vice versa. It all seems like entertainment value. It's not like an employer is going to pick an Oxford graduate over a Cambridge one just on the basis of rankings.

Well, evident by the name, I can see why some TSR students would be skeptical of US News, given that it ranks US universities highly. I've never even heard of ARWU.

Do you think Harvard's furniture design courses

http://eliot.harvard.edu/facilities-special-rooms

Would benefit from Oxford input

http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/our-work/estates-projects/weston/chair

🙀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shazen
Ohh, what do you study at Oxford?

You wouldn't recognize.

Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Well, evident by the name, I can see why some TSR students would be skeptical of US News, given that it ranks US universities highly. I've never even heard of ARWU.

There's also a Dutch or Belgian one on research and a French one on employment. Your ignorance doesn't really say anything about the tables.

If people are sceptical of US News because of that, then people should be even more sceptical of QS and Times since not only are they British, they are the only publications that rank UK universities particularly high (US universities are high everywhere).
You wouldn't recognize.

There's also a Dutch or Belgian one on research and a French one on employment. Your ignorance doesn't really say anything about the tables.

If people are sceptical of US News because of that, then people should be even more sceptical of QS and Times since not only are they British, they are the only publications that rank UK universities particularly high (US universities are high everywhere).

What do you mean by that?
No surprise to see Little Toy Gun

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending