The Student Room Group

Dont pick mathematics as a degree!!

I've recently graduated from university from a good university and received a 2.1
degree in mathematics . My advice too anybody thinking about choosing maths as a degree; don't, look elsewhere. I've been unemployed for the last 4 months despite having 13 different interviews. The job market is horrible out there, do something
that has the skills for a workplace, like accountancy or engineering or a vocational degree. Mathematics is related to very few jobs, don't take it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sh323
I've recently graduated from university from a good university and received a 2.1
degree in mathematics . My advice too anybody thinking about choosing maths as a degree; don't, look elsewhere. I've been unemployed for the last 4 months despite having 13 different interviews. The job market is horrible out there, do something
that has the skills for a workplace, like accountancy or engineering or a vocational degree. Mathematics is related to very few jobs, don't take it.

Lol. Have you thought that maybe, you're the reason behind your unemployment. Maybe you just sucked during interviews in comparison to other candidates, therefore you not having a job.

Oh and having a degree doesn't automatically guarantees you a job. It merely is just a stepping stone, and the foundation of getting a job.
Reply 2
Your lack of a job shouldn't cause others not to study.

But there is a good point here. Many people assume a degree will get you a job. Not any more.
Reply 3
Original post by sh323

What would be your definition of a "good" university?
How much coding did you do?

What kind of things did you get involved in inside and outside of uni?

What work experience did you get?

Some areas of maths are pretty useful when it comes to.. becoming more employable, I guess, and having skills, but others certainly are not :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
You're not entitled to an awesome job for completing a maths degree. Maths has one of the highest amount of graduates with a 1st. How much work experience do you have? What did you do outside your degree? Why didn't you get a 1st?
Original post by sh323

If youve had 13 interviews you have done amazingly well. Your trouble is your interview technique and not your subject.

If you came back and you'd has 2 interviews in 4 years, then id be concerned.
You can't just rely on a piece of paper to get you a job. Networking, summer placements/internships, work experience also play a huge role in this.

But if you've had 13 interviews then I suppose its your interview skills which are letting you down, not the above?
(edited 7 years ago)
i love maths so i'll do a maths degree doesn't matter how bad it is :colone:
#fightformaths
:lol:
Hold on, no. Maths will give you a great chance in Investment Banking, accounting, stock trading etc etc. If your uni was really that good, and you got a 2:1, you would be inline for these jobs, and usually you would have a job lined up before you left? Also, maybe look outside london
maths is like slow poison for me.One day I think my brain is gonna explode
I have seen the statistics somewhere and wish could remember where to post, and maths is right near the top and certainly ahead of accountancy.

I think that you could get someone who could say the same for literally every subject. I have not even done A level maths yet, let alone degree and I can see a mathematical flaw in your reasoning.

Your assuming that the probability you get a job if you have a 2:1 from a decent university is 100% is simply flawed. You know about standard deviations right?

it may be down to you it may be simply bad luck, but taking a sample of 1 within a time period of 4 months is not reliable.
Reply 12
Original post by Dann.It
Lol. Have you thought that maybe, you're the reason behind your unemployment. Maybe you just sucked during interviews in comparison to other candidates, therefore you not having a job.

Oh and having a degree doesn't automatically guarantees you a job. It merely is just a stepping stone, and the foundation of getting a job.

Yes, that is a factor. however I have been told by the employer that they've picked somebody with a more relevant degree on a least three occasions.

Yes that is true however other subjects offer more relevant skills for employers
I've only just started my degree in maths and I already have a graduate job lined up and paid training while I do my degree. There are loads of good jobs out there.
What Uni did you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sh323
Yes, that is a factor. however I have been told by the employer that they've picked somebody with a more relevant degree on a least three occasions.

Yes that is true however other subjects offer more relevant skills for employers

You need to apply for jobs you are qualified for. As others have said, a degree is only going to be a stepping stone, the rest comes down to experience, attitude and how suitable you are for the workplace.
Original post by SeanFM
How much coding did you do?

What kind of things did you get involved in inside and outside of uni?

What work experience did you get?

Some areas of maths are pretty useful when it comes to.. becoming more employable, I guess, and having skills, but others certainly are not :tongue:

I am extremely good at drawing circles and lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I am extremely good at drawing circles and lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol:
Mathematicians are ****tards. Real idiots. That's the real reason why you shouldn't study maths. fml
Reply 19
Original post by EricPiphany
Mathematicians are ****tards. Real idiots. That's the real reason why you shouldn't study maths. fml

Nope. A lot of mathematicians are some of the cleverest people you'll meet.

Quick Reply

Latest