The Student Room Group

Universal credit help

Im trying to apply for universal credit but theres a question that says "Do you already get a reduction in your Council Tax from your Local Authority?". As I was a student, and have just come out of education, I was getting a reduction but since I have left I have not notified the council that I am no longer a student. Do I need to tell them this before I complete the application for Universal credit? So far I have asked some people but they says its down to my dad to tell the council, so do I wait for him to come home, tell the council then apply, or do I apply and just tick the no option, and then tell them when I receive universal credit and am officially unemployed?
Moved to money and finance
Reply 2
Original post by pkrange
Im trying to apply for universal credit but theres a question that says "Do you already get a reduction in your Council Tax from your Local Authority?". As I was a student, and have just come out of education, I was getting a reduction but since I have left I have not notified the council that I am no longer a student. Do I need to tell them this before I complete the application for Universal credit? So far I have asked some people but they says its down to my dad to tell the council, so do I wait for him to come home, tell the council then apply, or do I apply and just tick the no option, and then tell them when I receive universal credit and am officially unemployed?

I'd click yes on the form and put student if there's an option.

Regarding your father you are supposed to update them if there's a change in circumstances during the year however council tax is annual so i would choose not to inform them. If they do query this in the future you will simply be aware that you/your father may be billed for the difference.
First of all, you not eligible for UC as a student unless you are disabled (on PIP/DLA) or are a lone parent. Therefore if you say you are a student on the form, you will just be refused and have to apply again as a non student. I would just say no discount on the form and then update the UC team if your household does get a reduction such as Council Tax Support which is for low income households.

You should call the Council and tell them about this change of circumstances and that you are applying for UC. If it is just you and your Dad at home then he will most likely have been receiving a 25% single person discount since you were a student. He is not entitled to that discount since the day you withdrew/graduated. The council may instead give your household a Council Tax Support reduction if your household is on benefits like UC or working but with low income.

If he continues to claim this discount and then the council find out that you are no longer a student, they will send him a bill asking him to repay all the council tax that he should have been paying since you stopped being a student. Can you or your Dad afford to be landed with a large bill? IThe council will take you/your Dad to court and the debt will be referred to baillifs if you don't pay any bill on time. They take a hard line on failure to pay council tax on time and can even force you to pay your annual bill in one go every April rather than monthly.

It would be better to just tell them the truth about your student status now to avoid any underpayment of council tax and see if your household can get Council Tax Support instead.
Original post by pkrange

The answer is no, because at the time of writing you arent receiving a reduction.

When you are a full time student you are disregarded totally whereas a redyction is when you are included as liable and have the amount reduced i.e single persons discount.

The DWP may notify or will at least have their database open to the council. As someone unemployed you are still liable for council tax, although the liability will be significantly reduced. Just put NO. If you are worried just write on the form- just finished uni or was a full time student.

They will calculate everything and the CT bill for your dads house may get recalculated and he may lose his singl;e persons deduction if he is getting one. If he is already paying the full rate, then it wont make any difference.
Reply 5
Maybe I worded it wrong thats why you think my dad is hiding it from the council? I was just urgent to apply for UC but didnt know which one to click

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending