The Student Room Group

Is it work spending over £80 for a calculator?!?

I'm not sure whether to buy the Casio fx9680GII (over £80) or the Casio fx 9750GII which is around £60.. Is the Casio fx 9680GII significantly better than the other one?? I'm taking maths and further maths for alevel btw

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lol i still have the one i nicked from my GCSE maths exam :lol:
I have the first and nah you won't need it. You can play Pokemon on it though... and Pacman. Just saying. Also check if your college even allows it to be used,
I just got on from tesco for £5. Everyone had the same one as me, including the teacher, so it made the stats module much easier since we all knew how to navigate the menus.
It was that huge Texas TI 84 Silver edition, I emphasised how thick and chunky it is and how it can do so many amazing things :sexface:
Reply 5
IMG_6222.JPG
£10
You really don't need a graphing calculator in college. Just get the least expensive Casio with the ability to solve quadratic equations. I still use mine in uni now, but I do have a HP 50G for the heavy stuff. Even if you did have one, they probably wouldn't let you in an exam hall with one, I can't bring mine into an exam so I stick with my casio.

I second @Ishax
Reply 7
There's no need for anything more than a cheap scientific calculator. The Casio FX991ES+ is great.
Reply 10
No, it is more worth getting the cheaper ones.
You really don't need to spend £80+ on a calculator, especially in GCSE/A Levels.

Get a Casio FX-85 GT Plus. I've used one for over 3 years and it has done everything I needed it for, including university studies.

Also, for GCSE/A Level, the more basic calculators are recommended, because graphing calculators, or calculators that do integration/differentiation, are often banned as having an unfair advantage.
i think you can easily use the same one you used for GCSE Maths
That calculator better have built in wifi and the answers to your exam in code language
Original post by MagnetoWasRight
It was that huge Texas TI 84 Silver edition, I emphasised how thick and chunky it is and how it can do so many amazing things :sexface:

Big man ting with the silver edition, I just had the loser black one :cry:
buy one for $10
Original post by alexschmalex
Big man ting with the silver edition, I just had the loser black one :cry:

I bought the black one, then I realised the silver one was real and I thought to myself, I don't want people to think I'm a pleb, better switch things up.
Absolutely not! Get one for about £10 with dual power and you'll never need anything else. I'm doing a PhD (not in maths) and mine cost £15 on Amazon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JohnGreek
Funnily enough, OCR allowed graphic calculators in Maths and FM this year when I sat my A-levels. I think that, having been told to get a £100 calculator for GCSE, it served me quite nicely, but it all comes down to whether OP feels that the small benefits a graphics calculator can give you (like allowing you to check points of intersection/roots of trig functions in C2/C3) is worth the extra moneyz.

I did Edexcel for Maths in GCSE and A Level so the rules for calculator use may have been different. I'm sure that graphing calculators were banned in Edexcel.
yeah as everyone else is saying, just buy any old scientfic one, shouldnt be more than £15. The fancy graphing calculators and ones that do some calculus for you arent used until degree or higher (i think)

Quick Reply

Latest