The Student Room Group

UEA A100 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amedic
Hey, last year their website says there is no cut off value used in the UKCAT.

Yeah I saw that as well but I presumed there would still be a value below which they wouldn't invite candidates for an interview like 1800 total or something... I'll give it a try because I have the grades and I'm really keen to study there! :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by kayasparkles
Yeah I saw that as well but I presumed there would still be a value below which they wouldn't invite candidates for an interview like 1800 total or something... I'll give it a try because I have the grades and I'm really keen to study there! :smile:

Good luck, if you decide to apply to UEA :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by kayasparkles
I got 690 in my ukcat with VR 580 but QR and AR I got 700 and 790 respectively. Apparently they look at individual sections where you need roughly 600+ so not sure whether it's a risk for me seeing as I got 580 in VR. Any thoughts? Thanks 😊

I don't think they look at individual subsection scores.
If I'm correct, it's only Plymouth and Nottingham that do.
I e-mailed them to ask about their scoring system. They replied saying they font release it until all applications have been in. Not much use to us
Reply 24
My gcses are 2A*s 4A's and 4B's. A level predictions AAA and my UKCAT average was 630. Is this good enough?
Original post by Amedic
Good luck, if you decide to apply to UEA :smile:

Thanks! 😊
Original post by Gogregg
I don't think they look at individual subsection scores.
If I'm correct, it's only Plymouth and Nottingham that do.

Ok cool thanks! 😊
Hi, will stats of 8A* and 2A at GCSE, AAAA at As, AAA (achieved) at GCSE, 670 UKCAT and band 1 SJT be ok? Just that some of my other choices are risky so I want to be safer with this option.
Thank you. Also, does UEA look at individual UKCAT sections? My VR is pretty shoddy (570).
Reply 28
Original post by parawitch
Hi, will stats of 8A* and 2A at GCSE, AAAA at As, AAA (achieved) at GCSE, 670 UKCAT and band 1 SJT be ok? Just that some of my other choices are risky so I want to be safer with this option.
Thank you. Also, does UEA look at individual UKCAT sections? My VR is pretty shoddy (570).

Of course, it's difficult to say for certain, but you sound like you have a pretty good chance of interview to me :h:

Also, we don't think UEA looks at individual section scores, just the overall :smile:
Reply 29

Apply to sheffield and cardiff. Uea would be pretty safe. My stats are slightly lower in each, 7a* 3a and 660 ukcat :/

UEA would be good, but Birmingham and Cardiff would be 'safer.'
GCSE: 6A* 4A
UKCAT: 713

Am I likely to get an interview here?
Original post by HopelessMedic
GCSE: 6A* 4A
UKCAT: 713

Am I likely to get an interview here?

Yeah I think so. Also try Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield, st George's, maybe Southampton considering your ukcat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Only 1A* and 7As Gcse and 676 UKCAT, worth applying here?
Reply 34
Original post by Kraytz
Only 1A* and 7As Gcse and 676 UKCAT, worth applying here?

Probs, we dont know their exact scoring system but youre definitely in contention
Original post by respiringmedic
I'm a fresher + happy to answer questions. Although ofc I don't know much about the course, I know about the selection procedures etc.

Am quite busy so I'm sorry for any delay in answering your questions.

Congrats on getting in, obviously UEA is super competitive so you must have amazing stats! How did you find the whole interview process? Was it quite fair in questioning or were there many curveballs?

Also how are you finding Norwich as a city? I've never been and can't make an open day so any thoughts you have on nightlife/accommodation/safety would be fantastic!

Also if you don't mind me asking, where else did you apply?
I'm looking at UEA as my fourth option, the course and facilities seem lovely but I haven't been able to make an open day so I'm not 100% sure on applying especially when I don't know the city at all.

My stats are
GCSEs 9A* 1A (German)
AS AAAA
A-Level Predictions A*A*A (Bio, Chem, Maths)
UKCAT 717 average

Hopefully I will be a strong enough candidate to make it to interview stage. Anyone know if the personal statement is making up any of the admissions process this year?
Original post by elish2chambers
I'm looking at UEA as my fourth option, the course and facilities seem lovely but I haven't been able to make an open day so I'm not 100% sure on applying especially when I don't know the city at all.

My stats are
GCSEs 9A* 1A (German)
AS AAAA
UKCAT 717 average

Hopefully I will be a strong enough candidate to make it to interview stage. Anyone know if the personal statement is making up any of the admissions process this year?

Roughly 33% each for the PS, Predictions and GCSE. No UKCAT cutoff. They don't value A*A*A* over AAA, so its basically GCSEs and your Personal Statement as long as your UKCAT is roughly 1800+.
(edited 7 years ago)
Considering applying to UEA because of its high student satisfaction.
My stats are:
GCSE - 2A*s, 6As, 3Bs
Predicted A2: A*AA (Bio, chem, physics)
Early Achieved A2: A (for maths)
UKCAT: VR - 520, QR - 890, AR - 700 (Total = 2110, Average = 703)
I feel like my GCSE's seem to be on the weak side, but my UKCAT seems to be somewhat strong.
Do I have a chance and is it worth applying?
Reply 39
Original post by aRandomGuy
Roughly 33% each for the PS, Predictions and GCSE. No UKCAT cutoff. They don't value A*A*A* over AAA, so its basically GCSEs and your Personal Statement as long as your UKCAT is roughly 1800+.

I emailed admissions and they said 'We review the personal statements informally during the first two rounds of screening, it is then reviewed again during the interview process.'

From this, we can say that they don't score it. It will be used, though, in the interview to base questions, and the preliminary check will likely just to be sure you have talked only about medicine, and you are serious about applying.
If you aren't completely confident about your PS, I'd say it's still worth applying, since they seem to use it minimally and just to base questions on :smile:

They also do rank you on UKCAT. I'm not sure where you're getting this information from?

Original post by elish2chambers

My stats are
GCSEs 9A* 1A (German)
AS AAAA
UKCAT 717 average

You'll make an amazingly strong applicant, don't worry :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest