The Student Room Group

I passed my 1st year but i cant go 2nd year. HELP

Alright basically, while I was living in London I went to a university that was in London. just after I finished my 1st year (I passed), me and my family moved to the north of England. during the holidays I've created an online business which I made huge progress already but I haven't made any profit or income yet but it can really happen at any given time.
well I've obviously applied to continue my 2nd year in unis around where I live but unfortunately, the unis I've applied for denied entry for 2nd year because the modules and whatever isn't similar to what their 1st year student learnt so I'd find it difficult to keep up with them but they did offer me to do 1st year again since I qualify for that.
obviously, I was a bit mad but I saw it as an opportunity to do full time with my business but because my parents especially my dad is still stuck in the old system of education thinking you 'MUST' go uni, they're basically pressuring me to go uni but as silly it may seem I want to put my eggs in one basket
What should I do guys, go for my dream and build my business up or start again 1st year and possibly putting my business on hold?
I'm 20 btw
Original post by donadoni
Alright basically, while I was living in London I went to a university that was in London. just after I finished my 1st year (I passed), me and my family moved to the north of England. during the holidays I've created an online business which I made huge progress already but I haven't made any profit or income yet but it can really happen at any given time.
well I've obviously applied to continue my 2nd year in unis around where I live but unfortunately, the unis I've applied for denied entry for 2nd year because the modules and whatever isn't similar to what their 1st year student learnt so I'd find it difficult to keep up with them but they did offer me to do 1st year again since I qualify for that.
obviously, I was a bit mad but I saw it as an opportunity to do full time with my business but because my parents especially my dad is still stuck in the old system of education thinking you 'MUST' go uni, they're basically pressuring me to go uni but as silly it may seem I want to put my eggs in one basket
What should I do guys, go for my dream and build my business up or start again 1st year and possibly putting my business on hold?
I'm 20 btw

What do YOU want?
Do you want to go university and continue?
Can you move out?

If you're keen on going into year 2 then move out and make your business a part time thing.
Do you intend going back to London? I would suspend my course.
Try the business for a year and see if you cna turn a profit.
Tell your dad its open for you to resume your studies so Uni isnt finished, but you just want this short time to see if you cna make a success of the business.

If you dont wnat to go back, then its up to you whether you wnat to start forst year locally or start it in a year or twos time. If you have the uranteed place, that should placate your dad. It will show him you havent given up uni, just delayed it. Tell him if you make a success it will be easier to finance uni or get another job as you cna get valuable experience from running your own business. Tell him its what you want to do.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Do you intend going back to London? I would suspend my course.
Try the business for a year and see if you cna turn a profit.
Tell your dad its open for you to resume your studies so Uni isnt finished, but you just want this short time to see if you cna make a success of the business.

If you dont wnat to go back, then its up to you whether you wnat to start forst year locally or start it in a year or twos time. If you have the uranteed place, that should placate your dad. It will show him you havent given up uni, just delayed it. Tell him if you make a success it will be easier to finance uni or get another job as you cna get valuable experience from running your own business. Tell him its what you want to do.

I've got accepted to the unis I've chosen and already in one. Trust me, I have but my dad is stubborn as hell literally he suggest me doing both but I just know it will be too overwhelming especially when I go 2nd and 3rd year where I suspect it will get harder and more time-consuming
Reply 4
Original post by undercxver
What do YOU want?
Do you want to go university and continue?
Can you move out?

If you're keen on going into year 2 then move out and make your business a part time thing.

I've thought of moving back to London and living with my aunty but the travel distance eventually is going to kill me lol so if I was to go uni, I would rather go to a uni that's close to where I'm living which is walking distance. tbh I really want to focus on my business but with my dad i guess it wont be the case
I've thought of moving back to London and living with my aunty but the travel distance eventually is going to kill me lol so if I was to go uni, I would rather go to a uni that's close to where I'm living which is walking distance. tbh I really want to focus on my business but with my dad i guess it wont be the case

Hey pal. Have you thought about deferring the second year? I think some universities allow for this. Basically take a gap year in the middle of your studies to focus on the business. If the business flourishes and is profitable enough for it to be sustainable than you have your answer, and if not, you can go back to university at the end of the year.
I've got accepted to the unis I've chosen and already in one. Trust me, I have but my dad is stubborn as hell literally he suggest me doing both but I just know it will be too overwhelming especially when I go 2nd and 3rd year where I suspect it will get harder and more time-consuming

Well I told you my solution and thats what I would do. I cnat gauge your business, but doing both has the risk of failing at both. If your dad wont agree and you intedn to move forward then you need to leave the family home to become independent.
Reply 7
Original post by High Stakes
Hey pal. Have you thought about deferring the second year? I think some universities allow for this. Basically take a gap year in the middle of your studies to focus on the business. If the business flourishes and is profitable enough for it to be sustainable than you have your answer, and if not, you can go back to university at the end of the year.

Agree with this guy. If your business does go t*ts up you have something to fall back on.
Reply 8
Original post by High Stakes

I have actually heard of people doing that. I guess it flew out my mind. I'm going to check more on that with the uni.
Thanks bro
I have actually heard of people doing that. I guess it flew out my mind. I'm going to check more on that with the uni.
Thanks bro

I told you that an hour ago.
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
I told you that an hour ago.

you probably did bro but I guess the other guy wrote it in a way for me to understand it more.
but thanks though

I say do what you want to do, so just continue with the business if you're confident. I would advise you to complete your degree, no matter what field it is in you'll learn a lot from it and then you could possibly apply your skills learnt from that to your business, if you're comitted you'll move to London with your aunt. Now its up to you.

Quick Reply

Latest