The Student Room Group

What are my chances for Law at UCL?

Hi there, apologies for putting this here but the UCL forum is pretty dead.

What do you think my chances would be to get an offer from UCL for Law? If you could give my chances as a percentage (e.g. 30% chance of an offer) that would be great. Obviously I know that it would just be a guess, but it would still be interesting to gauge opinion. I'm not looking for the % of the overall applicant/offer ratio here either (which is 22%), because I know that your chances rise or fall based on the merits of your application.

GCSEs:

A*AAAABBBBCCC

These are the poorest part of my application, but they did put me in the top 10 in my year.

AS's:

Distinction* - BTEC Applied Law
A - English Literature
A - Government & Politics
B - History

A2 Predicted Grades:

A* - English Literature
A* - Government & Politics
A - History

Personal statement:

I'm not going to go crazy and assume I can do an amazing, top-notch personal statement, but let's just assume it's good and solid. I've done relevant legal work experience, visits to courts, a lot of wider reading, and law essay competitions.

LNAT:

Let's assume that I do slightly better than average for the LNAT.

Contextual Flags:

Flags will be raised for secondary school and sixth form performance as well as for socioeconomic status based on postcode.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Hi there, apologies for putting this here but the UCL forum is pretty dead.

What do you think my chances would be to get an offer from UCL for Law? If you could give my chances as a percentage (e.g. 30% chance of an offer) that would be great. Obviously I know that it would just be a guess, but it would still be interesting to gauge opinion. I'm not looking for the % of the overall applicant/offer ratio here either (which is 22%), because I know that your chances rise or fall based on the merits of your application.

GCSEs:

These are the poorest part of my application, but they did put me in the top 10 in my year.

1 A*
4 A
4 B
3 C

AS's:

A - English Literature (91/100 raw marks)
A - Government & Politics (98 UMS in one paper)
B - History

A2 Predicted Grades:

A* - English Literature
A* - Government & Politics
A - History

Personal statement:

I'm not going to go crazy and assume I can do an amazing, top-notch personal statement, but let's just assume it's good and solid. I've done relevant legal work experience, visits to courts, a lot of wider reading, and law essay competitions.

LNAT:

Let's assume that I do slightly better than the average for the LNAT.

Contextual Flags:

Flags will be raised for secondary school and sixth form performance as well as for socioeconomic status based on postcode.

Probability of UCL offer increases in inverse proportion to number of posts made about one's chances on TSR. :smile:
98 ums in one paper? means jack if you got 12 on the other
Original post by citibankrec
98 ums in one paper? means jack if you got 12 on the other

Got 66 in the other unfortunately (but being sent for a remark). But my teacher is only going to mention the 98 UMS paper in my reference. No universities will be able to see my module breakdown unless it's put in the reference or provided in some other way.

But since I got an A overall they'll probably just assume I did well in the other paper as well.

@jneill Just checking, is it ok to for my teacher to say in a reference 'This student did well, particularly in one of his papers where he got 98 UMS' without mentioning the other paper? Since it's not an official UCAS declaration, but just an off-the-cuff comment.
Going to need a killer PS/reference, but the only thing in you favour is the contextual situation which I don't think will make a huge difference to be honest
Reply 5
I think you should have a decent chance, but a percentage is hard to give. You don't have the most competitive GCSEs but the contextual information will probably mean you will be on an equal playing field in terms of those results. Your AS grades seem fine, and your predicted grades are good.

With regards to the LNAT, though, there's a much greater emphasis on the essay section for UCL. I actually did apply to do law at UCL last year and got 28 (average was 23.3) but was rejected on the basis of the essay section - which I know I did terribly! I got an offer from KCL though (but I'm still taking a gap year to reapply after getting my A level results!)

My advice is to go for it. You have the grades, but you'll need to do well in the LNAT, particularly the essay. Good luck!
Got 66 in the other unfortunately (but being sent for a remark). But my teacher is only going to mention the 98 UMS paper in my reference. No universities will be able to see my module breakdown unless it's put in the reference or provided in some other way.

But since I got an A overall they'll probably just assume I did well in the other paper as well.

@jneill Just checking, is it ok to for my teacher to say in a reference 'This student did well, particularly in one of his papers where he got 98 UMS' without mentioning the other paper? Since it's not an official UCAS declaration, but just an off-the-cuff comment.

That's a pretty standard reference comment. It's up to the admissions officers what they make of it. There are two ways to look at it. It's either drawing attention to a good mark, or it's flagging up that none of the other papers are as good. It depends on whether the person reading it is a glass half full or a glass half empty kind of person.
I know Linguistics isn't quite as competitive, but I got A*A*AABCCCD and a Distinction* at GCSE, AABC at AS and BBC at A2 (albeit with mitigating circumstances), and still got offers from UCL and KCL (both asking for AAB)

Get some excellent references, write a great Personal Statement, and smash the LNAT :-)
Bump
Bump

did you get the remark?
did you get the remark?

We sent off for it on the 20th but it hasn't come back yet.
We sent off for it on the 20th but it hasn't come back yet.

gl
did you get the remark?

It came back but didn't change :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest