The Student Room Group

Can someone please talk me through this question?

I've been given this question as homework, but have never had a lesson on it and don't know what it means. Would anyone be willing to "walk me through" it? b.jpg
Attachment not found
Original post by Imma Simma
I've been given this question as homework, but have never had a lesson on it and don't know what it means. Would anyone be willing to "walk me through" it?

Don't do it if you've never had a lesson on it then.
Reply 2
You need to look at videos on vectors or something , you can't be told how to do it properly here.
For simplicity's sake let's just say every capital letter I use is a vector (e.g. AB = AB vector);

24a) First thing you need to know about vectors is that OA+AB= OB (random example). If you have a common middle point (A), then adding the two together will get you the value of one point to another (O to B)
OA refers to how far A is from point O = OP+PA = OA = a + a = 2a
Thus, OA = 2a.
If you're trying to find AB, you're not given any data on the right side of the triangle, so you'll have to use AO + OB.
Second thing you need to know about vectors is that when you flip OA to AO, all you need to do is add a negative sign to the value.
So OA = 2a. AO = -2a.
OB is given as 2b, hence,
AB = AO + OB = -2a + 2b = 2b - 2a

b) PQ = PA + AQ
PA is a (given)
AQ is given as 1/4 AB = 1/4(2b-2a)
PQ = a+ 1/4(2b-2a) = a + 1/b - 1/a = 1/2 a + 1/2 b
I don't really understand how much more you can explain it other than PQ = PA + AQ, sorry, so maybe someone else can help you with that.

c) Note that M is the middle point (given in question), hence AM = 1/2AB = (2b - 2a)/2 = b - a
OM = OA + AM = 2a + b - a = a + b

d) I'm not really sure about this, but from what I recall, the reason why b and c show that the shape is a trapezium is because PQ (given in (b)) and OM (given in (c)) are factors of each other (one is 1/2 of the other) which shows they are parallel, and that is a characteristic of a trapezium.

Hope this helps clarify some things. I'm not the best at math, so I can't go into full detail with explanations and someone will probably do it better, but I tried my best. Hope you get more replies. Best wishes.
Reply 4
Original post by hipsterrapunzel
For simplicity's sake let's just say every capital letter I use is a vector (e.g. AB = AB vector);

24a) First thing you need to know about vectors is that OA+AB= OB (random example). If you have a common middle point (A), then adding the two together will get you the value of one point to another (O to B)
OA refers to how far A is from point O = OP+PA = OA = a + a = 2a
Thus, OA = 2a.
If you're trying to find AB, you're not given any data on the right side of the triangle, so you'll have to use AO + OB.
Second thing you need to know about vectors is that when you flip OA to AO, all you need to do is add a negative sign to the value.
So OA = 2a. AO = -2a.
OB is given as 2b, hence,
AB = AO + OB = -2a + 2b = 2b - 2a

b) PQ = PA + AQ
PA is a (given)
AQ is given as 1/4 AB = 1/4(2b-2a)
PQ = a+ 1/4(2b-2a) = a + 1/b - 1/a = 1/2 a + 1/2 b
I don't really understand how much more you can explain it other than PQ = PA + AQ, sorry, so maybe someone else can help you with that.

c) Note that M is the middle point (given in question), hence AM = 1/2AB = (2b - 2a)/2 = b - a
OM = OA + AM = 2a + b - a = a + b

d) I'm not really sure about this, but from what I recall, the reason why b and c show that the shape is a trapezium is because PQ (given in (b)) and OM (given in (c)) are factors of each other (one is 1/2 of the other) which shows they are parallel, and that is a characteristic of a trapezium.

Hope this helps clarify some things. I'm not the best at math, so I can't go into full detail with explanations and someone will probably do it better, but I tried my best. Hope you get more replies. Best wishes.

Thanks so much - I think we'll be getting a lesson on vectors soon, so I'm sure that will clear things up, but this is really great for a starting point :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest