The Student Room Group

Remark failed

I had my GCSE English exam remarked and my grade was **still** one from a C. Now I have to resit it and the worst thing is they are entering or have already entered me for foundation so it's not like I can try to get better than a C.
Original post by Datalwo
I had my GCSE English exam remarked and my grade was **still** one from a C. Now I have to resit it and the worst thing is they are entering or have already entered me for foundation so it's not like I can try to get better than a C.

That sucks. Similar thing happened to me except I wasn't entered for foundation. You should finish the foundation and get the B if that's what you can get, or plead them to let you do the other one, one more time. But as it looks, it doesn't look as if you'll be getting the A, like I didn't on my resit, anytime soon. But there is an alternative solution, what I did, is an IGCSE in English Language.

Specifically, I did an IGCSE in english language B which is 100% exam only, and I got an A*. My exam board was Pearsons Edexcel. I had to look up schools in my area that accepted external candidates and offered this particular one. You're going to have to make your moves fast so you have time to revise for the content at least a bit, upgrade your writing skills and attempt past papers, improve them, and examine the mark schemes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kiritsugu
That sucks. Similar thing happened to me except I wasn't entered for foundation. You should finish the foundation and get the B if that's what you can get, or plead them to let you do the other one, one more time. But as it looks, it doesn't look as if you'll be getting the A, like I didn't on my resit, anytime soon. But there is an alternative solution, what I did, is an IGCSE in English Language.

Specifically, I did an IGCSE in english language B which is 100% exam only, and I got an A*. My exam board was Pearsons Edexcel. I had to look up schools in my area that accepted external candidates and offered this particular one. You're going to have to make your moves fast so you have time to revise for the content at least a bit, upgrade your writing skills and attempt past papers, improve them, and examine the mark schemes.

Edexcel IGCSE English Language B as a private candidate thanks. I'll look into it. Can i still sit this exam if my school has entered me for English with AQA
Original post by Datalwo
Edexcel IGCSE English Language B as a private candidate thanks. I'll look into it. Can i still sit this exam if my school has entered me for English with AQA

Yes. Even though your school has entered you for AQA in one qualification, you can get a qualification for the same or different subject/exam board at a different centre. That's all there is to it, I believe. You don't even need to tell your school you're doing it, I didn't tell mine.

Just keep in mind, you'll need your passport, your UML Identification number would be helpful (I think it's called that) - basically on your statement of entry there is a UML number or something which is quite long. That would be helpful to have. Make sure you keep in contact with the examinations manager at the centre and ask any questions you have. Also be prepared for the day, have everything with you: phone, money, keys, stationary, and understanding and preparation of the material.

I don't know if this answers your question, but if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Reply 4
Yes. Even though your school has entered you for AQA in one qualification, you can get a qualification for the same or different subject/exam board at a different centre. That's all there is to it, I believe. You don't even need to tell your school you're doing it, I didn't tell mine.

Just keep in mind, you'll need your passport, your UML Identification number would be helpful (I think it's called that) - basically on your statement of entry there is a UML number or something which is quite long. That would be helpful to have. Make sure you keep in contact with the examinations manager at the centre and ask any questions you have. Also be prepared for the day, have everything with you: phone, money, keys, stationary, and understanding and preparation of the material.

I don't know if this answers your question, but if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

So will the higher grade from the 2 exam boards be the one that will count? Thanks so much
Original post by Datalwo
So will the higher grade from the 2 exam boards be the one that will count? Thanks so much

Okay so this is how it works. There is a thing called the UCAS process.
You're going to start working on this and your personal statement at the end of the first year of A-levels.

In one section of the process, candidates have to input their grades, their centres/schools and their subjects.

So this is a simplified version

School Number 1
GCSE - English Language - C
GCSE - Maths - A*
GCSE - Dual Award Science - A*A*
GCSE - Video games - A****
GCSE - Anime - A****

School Number 2 (this may be the school where you took the IGCSE exam)
IGCSE - English Language B - A*

The UCAS guys will see your qualifications. You might think this looks stupid, but it's not. RGS - the grammar school - do IGCSEs too. I don't know if medical schools or whatever think of IGCSEs the same as GCSEs but I was advised to do an IGCSE by someone and if RGS are doing it, surely people think of it as similar to GCSEs.
Nothing wrong with doing a foundation paper. I was put on a foundation paper once for English and I was like "who do you think you're putting on foundation" so I went to the English office and had my paper changed to a higher, and then I done the exam and got a D.

Lesson learned.
Reply 7
Original post by CherryPoppins
Nothing wrong with doing a foundation paper. I was put on a foundation paper once for English and I was like "who do you think you're putting on foundation" so I went to the English office and had my paper changed to a higher, and then I done the exam and got a D.

Lesson learned.

The only reason I want to do higher is I feel that I'm capable of getting a higher grade. My coursework is what has let me down so I'll be carrying my poor coursework forward to sit the exam and so I'd prefer the higher tier to allow me to get a higher grade. I know I can do the higher paper as in school I did a mock and they said they'd enter me for higher if I did well but they lied and apparently the deadline had passed. What a waste of time.
Reply 8
Okay so this is how it works. There is a thing called the UCAS process.
You're going to start working on this and your personal statement at the end of the first year of A-levels.

In one section of the process, candidates have to input their grades, their centres/schools and their subjects.

So this is a simplified version

School Number 1
GCSE - English Language - C
GCSE - Maths - A*
GCSE - Dual Award Science - A*A*
GCSE - Video games - A****
GCSE - Anime - A****

School Number 2 (this may be the school where you took the IGCSE exam)
IGCSE - English Language B - A*

The UCAS guys will see your qualifications. You might think this looks stupid, but it's not. RGS - the grammar school - do IGCSEs too. I don't know if medical schools or whatever think of IGCSEs the same as GCSEs but I was advised to do an IGCSE by someone and if RGS are doing it, surely people think of it as similar to GCSEs.

Thanks a lot, that makes sense. :smile:
Original post by Datalwo
Thanks a lot, that makes sense. :smile:

You're welcome.

The coursework is what let me down too. It let so many people down in so many subjects in so many schools it's not even funny. The examiners want to see the "Flair" in your short-essays and whatnot. They want to see the style, the structure, the vocab, the way you orientate what you've learned to the situation at hand. It's hard and it requires a LOT of practicing. I've went through the textbook like 3/4 times and I still think I haven't learnt that much of it.

Nevertheless, a different approach may be necessary. The textbook gives you some very good examples of the style of writing the examiners are seeking. But something more is required... I don't know. If I was going to learn it again, I would rigorously bash that textbook, and not only that, but past papers, mark schemes, examiner reports. And then I would also use online internet resources. I would keep improving one aspect of my writing - one at a time - eventually they can all blend together.

Maybe even get a tutor just for the exams. I know my tutor was very useful.
(edited 7 years ago)
In my opinion, I would actually do the foundation paper - just for practice - who cares it's good practice. From experience, it's unlikely you're going to somehow get the 80%-90% in the higher paper so I wouldn't bother doing it. But don't be demotivated if you don't get what you want. Just keep moving forward - think of the foundation paper as a nice breeze and warm up.
Reply 11
In my opinion, I would actually do the foundation paper - just for practice - who cares it's good practice. From experience, it's unlikely you're going to somehow get the 80%-90% in the higher paper so I wouldn't bother doing it. But don't be demotivated if you don't get what you want. Just keep moving forward - think of the foundation paper as a nice breeze and warm up.

I've done virtually every foundation exam at school and achieved around 80%+ each time. I only missed the C by one UMS due to coursework being very poor. I much prefer 100% exam only so I'm interested in the 100% IGCSE exam you mentioned.
Original post by Datalwo
I've done virtually every foundation exam at school and achieved around 80%+ each time. I only missed the C by one UMS due to coursework being very poor. I much prefer 100% exam only so I'm interested in the 100% IGCSE exam you mentioned.

Well, I don't have much else to say apart from good luck and do your best. Literally, do your best. :smile:
:angelwings:
Reply 13
Well, I don't have much else to say apart from good luck and do your best. Literally, do your best. :smile:
:angelwings:

Any revision resources and when the exam can be sat and do you think I can do it with hard work?
Original post by Datalwo
Any revision resources and when the exam can be sat and do you think I can do it with hard work?

I sat my exam in late January 2016 and emailed the exams officer in early September 2015 So that's a decent gap. Enough time for revision and stuff - the english language courses are quite similar so you've learnt most the stuff but you just need to get used to the new exam board's format.

You should find a centre which does your thing asap and contact asap and get stuff organised asap.

Yes there are revision resources I believe. And I do think you can do it - but not only with hard work. I thought I could do it like that. Uh-uh - it simply didn't work.

You need to work SMART and HARD. And yes I do believe you can do it.

http://www.creativitypost.com/create/work_smarter_not_harder_21_time_management_tips_to_hack_productivity

Read that for Time management.

Read the below for studying:
1. www.wikihow.com/Study-More-Effectively
2. http://psychcentral.com/lib/top-10-most-effective-study-habits/
3. http://www.discoverbusiness.us/learning/

Get your sleep sorted out (most important). Spread out your revision/studying and take breaks (second most important). I might do something like 30 mins work, 5-10 min break and then work again then have a much longer break. Then later work again and repeat.

Here's some resources:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3313071
https://edexcelnotes.wordpress.com/igcse-revision-notes/english-language-b/
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-gcses-and-edexcel-certificates/international-gcse-english-language-b-2009.html
http://englishtutorhome2.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/how-to-revise-for-igcse-english.html
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=IGCSE+English+Language+B

Most importantly the past papers and stuff.

You must get rid of distractions and be able to work for at least 1 hour in total EVERY DAY. Remember the exam is 3 hours long, but they'll usually let you go when you're done. Have water, healthy breakfast, shower/bath, good sleep, prepared the day before.

That's what I could quickly come up with.
Reply 15
I sat my exam in late January 2016 and emailed the exams officer in early September 2015 So that's a decent gap. Enough time for revision and stuff - the english language courses are quite similar so you've learnt most the stuff but you just need to get used to the new exam board's format.

You should find a centre which does your thing asap and contact asap and get stuff organised asap.

Yes there are revision resources I believe. And I do think you can do it - but not only with hard work. I thought I could do it like that. Uh-uh - it simply didn't work.

You need to work SMART and HARD. And yes I do believe you can do it.

http://www.creativitypost.com/create/work_smarter_not_harder_21_time_management_tips_to_hack_productivity

Read that for Time management.

Read the below for studying:
1. www.wikihow.com/Study-More-Effectively
2. http://psychcentral.com/lib/top-10-most-effective-study-habits/
3. http://www.discoverbusiness.us/learning/

Get your sleep sorted out (most important). Spread out your revision/studying and take breaks (second most important). I might do something like 30 mins work, 5-10 min break and then work again then have a much longer break. Then later work again and repeat.

Here's some resources:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3313071
https://edexcelnotes.wordpress.com/igcse-revision-notes/english-language-b/
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-gcses-and-edexcel-certificates/international-gcse-english-language-b-2009.html
http://englishtutorhome2.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/how-to-revise-for-igcse-english.html
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=IGCSE+English+Language+B

Most importantly the past papers and stuff.

You must get rid of distractions and be able to work for at least 1 hour in total EVERY DAY. Remember the exam is 3 hours long, but they'll usually let you go when you're done. Have water, healthy breakfast, shower/bath, good sleep, prepared the day before.

That's what I could quickly come up with.

Thank you so much so it's one 3 hour exam, right? Will I need to find a school that sits this exact exam or do I just need to find someone that would let me sit the exam with them?
Original post by Datalwo
Thank you so much so it's one 3 hour exam, right? Will I need to find a school that sits this exact exam or do I just need to find someone that would let me sit the exam with them?

Yep just one exam for the English language B edexcel IGCSE course.

You need to find a school that can accept external candidates to sit the exam. You need to confirm that they allow you to sit that exact exam. As for your latter question, you may find you're doing the exam with a couple of other external candidates.
Original post by Datalwo
The only reason I want to do higher is I feel that I'm capable of getting a higher grade. My coursework is what has let me down so I'll be carrying my poor coursework forward to sit the exam and so I'd prefer the higher tier to allow me to get a higher grade. I know I can do the higher paper as in school I did a mock and they said they'd enter me for higher if I did well but they lied and apparently the deadline had passed. What a waste of time.

Bad luck with the remark, but they only add anything if theres been an error.

No excuse for poor coursework and you are made to carry it forward.

Enter yourself for higher if you are that bothered. They are only interested in a pass tbh.

If you do a different exam board as well, then chceck you cna cope with the different syllabus. Maybe get a tutor to help you with your major weaknesses.

Quick Reply

Latest