The Student Room Group

Recording Uni Lectures

Scroll to see replies

I'm going to be recording it on my phone but not actually filming them
I suggest trying to rather concentrate on the lecture and so you don't have to waste time listening to it all over again.
I'm recording because it I miss what they say, and I didn't have time to write it down, I'll go back to that specific point in the recording.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by jneill
You do if you record them too. If OP is trying to record from his desk/seat using his phone or laptop to do so it will be terrible quality and will potentially pick up side conversations, questions, discussions from neighbouring students. That is an invasion of their privacy.

Now in practice it's probably fine, but OP needs to be respectful and aware of others rights.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you ever recorded with an iPhone 6? The quality is crisp. Dictaphones are even better, with profiles for different settings, filtering background noises.
Reply 22
Original post by Novascope
You're allowed to have your mobile and laptop out in lectures, just obviously be respectful and don't use your mobile all the time. As for recording, you can most certainly audio record your lectures even without a learning disability, if you're talking video record it's best to ask your lecturer(s) they won't have a bad impression of you from asking so don't worry.

Oh no most certainly I will not use my phone not even once during lectures. I am sure I will be able to wait for the break. Yes I only want to audio record.
Original post by 571122
Like an excellent medical student once told me: the brain doesn't have enough with partial information (e.g. powerpoint slides), it needs the full picture (i.e. all information, not just notes, or even relevant notes). You need all words, one by one, not just summaries.

However, if you are a very bright person (this is rare), you can probably do fine like you did, only taking notes and then be able to pass a module. For others, like myself, I can't listen at the same time as I can write down, I can't breathe at the same time as I think, I can't eat at the same time as.. well, you get the point.
Most of us can't process material at the lightning high speed of how professors introduce them, it just can't happen. We need to first absorb each and every word, every nuance, in every context, before we can start to think about it and process it. I tried in university to process what professors said, but sadly they spoke way too fast, like this:

oksowehavetheaverageandtheweightedaverageandthenweusetheminthisformulayouseethequadraticequationisalinearequivalentwhen

I just can't handle that and neither can the rest. If you record lectures, you are able to finally understand what Mr. Speedy Gonzales was saying.

Education should be more fair, people should be allowed to record freely and live free from restraint. The UK has too much of an old government philosophy. They need to be more liberal. Free education for everyone, literally and figuratively!

I did say I use my lecture slides and make my own notes in lectures. I do further reading outside lectures but most of its theory. I study Computing maybe it's different for course.

When I'm in lecture I like to focus on the lecturer and absorb the information I'm being given. If I'm still stuck or confused, there's always tutorials to ask the question directly. You're not supposed to write down everything the lecturer says word to word. I only write donthe relevant information.

One question, if you can't write stuff down as the lecturer is speaking how did you cope at school etc? For example, there you had to write everything down unless you did recordings there also and at sixth form/college then fair enough.

I don't understand how the government came into this discussion but okay.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Gman786
Recording lectures is literally the gayest thing you can do at uni. Theres one guy at my uni who records lectures and literally everyone hates him. It looks too desperate.

Oh for goodness sake, this is what I am talking about judgmental people like you! I am going to University to study not to listen pointless opinions like yours. I am guessing you are probably one of those that go to Uni just to gossip and spread bull**** about others. That is shallow and weak! I am doing this to help myself and to be the best as I possibly can be on my exams and get the best possible results. Here comes the best part EVER - I don't owe an explanation to rude individuals like you! I don't wake up for anyone's opinion I wake up for myself to live the life I want. I am just making my life easier so no your pointless unnecessary opinion is not needed, and no you weren't helpful either!
Reply 25
Original post by Ishax
I did say I use my lecture slides and make my own notes in lectures. I do further reading outside lectures but most of its theory. I study Computing maybe it's different for course.

When I'm in lecture I like to focus on the lecturer and absorb the information I'm being given. If I'm still stuck or confused, there's always tutorials to ask the question directly. You're not supposed to write down everything the lecturer says word to word. I only write donthe relevant information.

One question, if you can't write stuff down as the lecturer is speaking how did you cope at school etc? For example, there you had to write everything down unless you did recordings there also and at sixth form/college then fair enough.

I don't understand how the government came into this discussion but okay.

I failed high school from the first year already, screwed up all years, gave up and quit high school, did community college, got into uni that way and from there, recording started. I wasn't the only one doing it - everyone was doing it.

You don't understand how the government came into this discussion? I'm not sure if you've taken Philosophy senior year yet, but there we discuss the underlying philosophies of governments. As you probably know, a government controls its sub-institutions like police, court, universities, etc. What does this have to do with governments, you ask? Well, the copyright right is a right belonging to bureaucracy. Ever since countries started forming nations, some constructed them more liberally than others. And you see, putting rights and prohibitions on things that should be rightfully ours (content) is a typical move from a posh, bureaucratic government like the UK has one; it's true. Every decision the government has made since the forming of the UK, has had an (adverse) effect on how the country functions.

That was rather obvious, but ok.
Reply 26
Original post by Seamus123
I record all lectures, but not seminars as there are other students involved. I have a programme on my laptop which transfers audio lectures to text.

That is some hot rocking stuff there! Can you please tell me what the program is?!
Reply 27
Original post by Chochiana
Oh for goodness sake, this is what I am talking about judgmental people like you! I am going to University to study not to listen pointless opinions like yours. I am guessing you are probably one of those that go to Uni just to gossip and spread bull**** about others. That is shallow and weak! I am doing this to help myself and to be the best as I possibly can be on my exams and get the best possible results. Here comes the best part EVER - I don't owe an explanation to rude individuals like you! I don't wake up for anyone's opinion I wake up for myself to live the life I want. I am just making my life easier so no your pointless unnecessary opinion is not needed, and no you weren't helpful either!

Well said!! Standing ovation! I salute your integrity!
Original post by 571122
I failed high school from the first year already, screwed up all years, gave up and quit high school, did community college, got into uni that way and from there, recording started. I wasn't the only one doing it - everyone was doing it.

You don't understand how the government came into this discussion? I'm not sure if you've taken Philosophy senior year yet, but there we discuss the underlying philosophies of governments. As you probably know, a government controls its sub-institutions like police, court, universities, etc. What does this have to do with governments, you ask? Well, the copyright right is a right belonging to bureaucracy. Ever since countries started forming nations, some constructed them more liberally than others. And you see, putting rights and prohibitions on things that should be rightfully ours (content) is a typical move from a posh, bureaucratic government like the UK has one; it's true. Every decision the government has made since the forming of the UK, has had an (adverse) effect on how the country functions.

That was rather obvious, but ok.

No one does recording on my course.

Oh right okay, I haven't studied Philosophy that's probably why.
Reply 29
Original post by 571122
Have you ever recorded with an iPhone 6? The quality is crisp. Dictaphones are even better, with profiles for different settings, filtering background noises.

Yes, a Dictaphone left at the lecturn is ideal. Anything else is sub-optimal.

And the earlier poster who has software to transcrib to text is exactly right.

BUT I do wonder if it's really going to be that useful in practice...

Lecture notes etc should really have all that's needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
If anyone is looking for good transcription software, Dragon Naturallyspeaking is an excellent one, with an astounding reported accuracy of 9/10. It's paying though.
Reply 31
Original post by 571122
Like an excellent medical student once told me: the brain doesn't have enough with partial information (e.g. powerpoint slides), it needs the full picture (i.e. all information, not just notes, or even relevant notes). You need all words, one by one, not just summaries.

However, if you are a very bright person (this is rare), you can probably do fine like you did, only taking notes and then be able to pass a module. For others, like myself, I can't listen at the same time as I can write down, I can't breathe at the same time as I think, I can't eat at the same time as.. well, you get the point.
Most of us can't process material at the lightning high speed of how professors introduce them, it just can't happen. We need to first absorb each and every word, every nuance, in every context, before we can start to think about it and process it. I tried in university to process what professors said, but sadly they spoke way too fast, like this:

oksowehavetheaverageandtheweightedaverageandthenweusetheminthisformulayouseethequadraticequationisalinearequivalentwhen

I just can't handle that and neither can the rest. If you record lectures, you are able to finally understand what Mr. Speedy Gonzales was saying.

Education should be more fair, people should be allowed to record freely and live free from restraint. The UK has too much of an old government philosophy. They need to be more liberal. Free education for everyone, literally and figuratively!

Hands down I couldn't agree more! What's the most lectures that there can be in a day? It's kind of worrying they speak fast!
Reply 32
Original post by jneill
Yes, a Dictaphone left at the lecturn is ideal. Anything else is sub-optimal.

And the earlier poster who has software to transcrib to text is exactly right.

BUT I do wonder if it's really going to be that useful in practice...

Lecture notes etc should really have all that's needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right here is my point, if you miss something important trying to write it down whilst the lecturer is speaking fast you are screwed but if you have it recorded you can always note it down listening to the recording. Another thing is that having it recorded you can listen to it over and over again and make it stick in your head. This is one of the types of methods I revise.
Original post by thegodofgod
You should be fine - about a quarter of my cohort (about 25 students or so) put their iPhone / iPad / dictaphone / other recording device at the front of the lecture room right by the lecturer to avoid as much interruption as possible. As long as you ask permission from each lecturer, there shouldn't be any problems.
Very keen. Doubt many actually use them.

Original post by Ishax
I don't think it's worth recording lectures honestly because you would have to make time to watch it back.

I usually print out lecture slides 6 per page, pukka pad A4 and pencil case to make notes. I usually write in my notepad so I don't run out space on my lecture slides and I can always do it later neatly. There's no point, the important part is to understand the content.

If I didn't take lecture slides then I'd be rushing to write everything down, this way I only write down the relevant information. I usually write lecture slide number next to my notes so I don't get confused. For example Lecture 1: Slide 1 then Slide 8 etc. I have like 60 slides on some modules per lecture so it helps me to keep track of my notes also.
Sounds right to me.
Original post by 571122
If anyone is looking for good transcription software, Dragon Naturallyspeaking is an excellent one, with an astounding reported accuracy of 9/10. It's paying though.

This is the one I have, supplied by DSA.

Great post. Loving the indignation.

Its better to make good notes during the lecture imo, its what all the smart students did. People tend not to have time to go through it all again and recording cna make you lazy. You will soon know anyway based on your results.

Btw its a public forum. You posted a thread and people can post their opinion, however much you want to protest they cant.
Right here is my point, if you miss something important trying to write it down whilst the lecturer is speaking fast you are screwed but if you have it recorded you can always note it down listening to the recording. Another thing is that having it recorded you can listen to it over and over again and make it stick in your head. This is one of the types of methods I revise.

Doesnt tend to happen and whats wrong with just copying or checking with your friends on the bit that was missed?
That is some hot rocking stuff there! Can you please tell me what the program is?!

I have a dictaphone with the Dragon Naturally Speaking Programme on it.
Your laptop/iPad they wouldn't mind you using in it during the lecture however I would ask permission before you use the dictaphone.

Jot them an email to save the awkward conversation before lecture

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending
Reply 39
Original post by 571122
Well said!! Standing ovation! I salute your integrity!

Thank you! He needs to learn that not without a reason people are different on this planet, and those differences come the different views from people.

Quick Reply

Latest