The Student Room Group

Further Maths GCSE?

I'm wanting to do the AQA GCSE Further Maths equivalent, but none of the teachers at my school have taught it before and I have asked the head of Maths at school, but she's hesitant to let me do it (I've offered to learn all of the information myself) because no one in the department has experience with this particular qualification. She's said that she will look into it if I have done well on the Maths mock we had on Wednesday, but I don't know how I've done yet. Does anyone have any idea of how I can persuade her that I'm capable of doing it?

Scroll to see replies

Do you any of the content currently in the further maths? Also, what exam board is it?
Reply 2
Original post by Welshstig
Do you any of the content currently in the further maths? Also, what exam board is it?

What do you mean by your first question? The exam board is AQA.
It may be because your school will have to hold a separate exam just for you. It would be difficult to get in contact with the exam board and enter just one student, it's all probably just too much hassle for them. That's probably why they are reluctant to let you do it, nothing to do with your ability.
Original post by Ally-mai
What do you mean by your first question? The exam board is AQA.

I mean have you studied any further maths yet?
Reply 5
Original post by Welshstig
I mean have you studied any further maths yet?

Not really, no. I've done matrices (I think that's what they're called), but that was over a year ago and I can't quite remember how to do them though so I'd have to relearn them.
I'm wanting to do the AQA GCSE Further Maths equivalent, but none of the teachers at my school have taught it before and I have asked the head of Maths at school, but she's hesitant to let me do it (I've offered to learn all of the information myself) because no one in the department has experience with this particular qualification. She's said that she will look into it if I have done well on the Maths mock we had on Wednesday, but I don't know how I've done yet. Does anyone have any idea of how I can persuade her that I'm capable of doing it?

GCSE Further Maths is apparently usually offered to students who can reach A or A* in normal GCSE Maths. If your at an A-A* level then yes. If your below you might as well not do it since it will be harder and you'd rather perfect normal GCSE Maths.
Reply 7
Original post by Shazen
GCSE Further Maths is apparently usually offered to students who can reach A or A* in normal GCSE Maths. If your at an A-A* level then yes. If your below you might as well not do it since it will be harder and you'd rather perfect normal GCSE Maths.

My target is a 9 (I'm the first year of the new numbers system in Maths and English), which is supposedly equivalent to an A**. The last mock I did in the old system was in Year 9 (they made me sit in with the Year 11s) and I got a B, so I'm confident I'll get at least the equivalent of at least an A when I take my exam for real.
My target is a 9 (I'm the first year of the new numbers system in Maths and English), which is supposedly equivalent to an A**. The last mock I did in the old system was in Year 9 (they made me sit in with the Year 11s) and I got a B, so I'm confident I'll get at least the equivalent of at least an A when I take my exam for real.

Ok that's good then, another thing is if you feel GCSE Maths is too easy tell that to your head of maths.
Reply 9
Original post by Shazen
Ok that's good then, another thing is if you feel GCSE Maths is too easy tell that to your head of maths.

Thanks, I did a mock last week that she said she'd look through to see if she thinks I'm capable. I think I did pretty well (without revision), so I hope she sees that I can do it.
Not really, no. I've done matrices (I think that's what they're called), but that was over a year ago and I can't quite remember how to do them though so I'd have to relearn them.

I would focus on getting a GCSE grade 9.

I have taught this quaification but I don't rate it very much - you will have enough exams without doing these as well.
Thanks, I did a mock last week that she said she'd look through to see if she thinks I'm capable. I think I did pretty well (without revision), so I hope she sees that I can do it.

If you did well, than you'll be fine so don't worry! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Muttley79
I would focus on getting a GCSE grade 9.

I have taught this quaification but I don't rate it very much - you will have enough exams without doing these as well.

Is there a particular reason you don't rate it?
Reply 13
Original post by OwlOfFire
It may be because your school will have to hold a separate exam just for you. It would be difficult to get in contact with the exam board and enter just one student, it's all probably just too much hassle for them. That's probably why they are reluctant to let you do it, nothing to do with your ability.

I don't think that's why. When I asked if I could do it, the head of maths said she was reluctant because none of the teachers have taught it before. They've entered individuals for home language exams before, so I don't see why this would be any different.
[QUOTE=Ally-mai;67742332]I don't think that's why. When I asked if I could do it, the head of maths said she was reluctant because none of the teachers have taught it before. They've entered individuals for home language exams before, so I don't see why this would be any different.

It wouldn't be difficult to enter you. Just a click of a button 😃
As well as your ability, it also depends on whether or not you want to do maths at sixth form or uni. If you do, I'd definitely consider it, it's totally viable to do in one year alongside GCSE maths. A friend of mine did exactly the same, and she came out with nearly an A^ (and 10 A*s overall, so she was really clever), and she's now studying maths and further maths at sixth form. If not, I wouldn't bother tbh, it won't mark you out enormously for any other career (although it will prove you're bloody clever), so it might be more worth while making sure you get A* in normal maths, and any others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Myself and five others self-taught GCSE Further Maths between the end of January and June of this year. It is certainly challenging and I suggest you only do it if you are actually very good at maths. There are many complicated concepts and unless you are sure you can do it then do not do it. What are your reasons behind wanting to study this qualification? If you're thinking that universities will look particularly favourably upon it then I am afraid you are slightly mistaken. Apart from a maths degree, your admissions tutors will hardly take any notice of it.

Although, if you're capable of achieving the 'super A* (A** / A^) then do it. Trigonometric identities, matrices, the factor theorem and differentiation may prove to be easy for you. Focus on GCSE maths, then this. It should not be a priority.
Reply 17
Original post by RedSquirrels
As well as your ability, it also depends on whether or not you want to do maths at sixth form or uni. If you do, I'd definitely consider it, it's totally viable to do in one year alongside GCSE maths. A friend of mine did exactly the same, and she came out with nearly an A^ (and 10 A*s overall, so she was really clever), and she's now studying maths and further maths at sixth form. If not, I wouldn't bother tbh, it won't mark you out enormously for any other career (although it will prove you're bloody clever), so it might be more worth while making sure you get A* in normal maths, and any others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely want to do maths and further maths at A level.
Reply 18
Original post by AdHominem
Myself and five others self-taught GCSE Further Maths between the end of January and June of this year. It is certainly challenging and I suggest you only do it if you are actually very good at maths. There are many complicated concepts and unless you are sure you can do it then do not do it. What are your reasons behind wanting to study this qualification? If you're thinking that universities will look particularly favourably upon it then I am afraid you are slightly mistaken. Apart from a maths degree, your admissions tutors will hardly take any notice of it.

Although, if you're capable of achieving the 'super A* (A** / A^) then do it. Trigonometric identities, matrices, the factor theorem and differentiation may prove to be easy for you. Focus on GCSE maths, then this. It should not be a priority.

I am wanting to do maths and further maths at A level and a maths related degree at uni.
I really enjoy maths and I always have. I read maths books about things that aren't relevant to GCSE maths regularly anyways (e.g. Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh), so it makes sense to me to focus my energy into further maths.
I definitely want to do maths and further maths at A level.

Ok then I'd do it, cos it'll make f.maths A level a lot more accessible and less hassle! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest