The Student Room Group

Android OS Discussion v2.0

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Dreamville_
Stuck between the S7 Edge and the Nexus 6P. Which is better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's difficult to say since we only have very early impressions of the Edge so far, I would wait for full reviews to surface before making a decision. Just going off the spec sheet we know the Edge is more powerful and obviously a bit smaller (which will be a pro or con to different people), has a larger battery, is waterproof and has expandable storage. The camera is a fairly significant departure from Samsung's usually upgrade cycle and you can't judge camera quality from specs anyway, but both cameras are going for the same approach of using a lower megapixel count in order to gain larger pixels for better low light performance. Instinct says Samsung's will be the better because their flagship phone cameras are always awesome. However I personally dislike the curved edges on phones this size (I loved the S6 Edge, but didn't find the larger Edge Plus model nearly as comfortable to hold and the S7 is the same size as that), s=Samsung claimed to have made it more comfortable but I would personally wait to try it first. The 6P will also most likely get new versions of Android for a few years longer than the S7 Edge, and will probably be a good chunk cheaper.

The LG G5 is also worth considering if you like the 6P, it's practically a miniaturised version in terms of design and materials.
Yeah. The G5 is a contender too. Having read up on the phones a bit more, I think I'd enjoy the Vanilla Android experience a lot more. I've never been a fan of TouchWiz and, while the specs are great (as expected), the curves leave a lot to be desired for me. As for the G5, another great phone but the 5.7 inch screen on the 6P is hard to turn down, with USB C and it being quite a bit cheaper than the Samsung at least. 64GB for £500. Can't go wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone in and around the Coventry University campus any good at rooting? Bricked my phone and need help!
Reply 3463
Original post by KronicKev
Anyone in and around the Coventry University campus any good at rooting? Bricked my phone and need help!

Try searching up how to flash the stock firmware again for your phone. That should fix the brick issue. If it was rooting, it shouldn't have bricked your phone, try using simple one-click root programs.
Like a idiot I've cracked the bottom part of my screen on s7 Edge.

I can't seem to find any concrete prices on repair.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

I was going to upgrade to the Note 7, but Samsung balls that up.
Resurrected my dad's old tablet but the battery is behaving a bit strangely.

It shut itself down at 16% battery :s-smilie: and under Miscellaneous it says the battery has a capacity of about 3200 MAh (can't access it now but it was about that) from a new capacity of 4325 MAh.

Does that mean I need a new battery? :colondollar:
Reply 3466
Original post by + polarity -
Resurrected my dad's old tablet but the battery is behaving a bit strangely.

It shut itself down at 16% battery :s-smilie: and under Miscellaneous it says the battery has a capacity of about 3200 MAh (can't access it now but it was about that) from a new capacity of 4325 MAh.

Does that mean I need a new battery? :colondollar:

Whenever my iPhone is on like 30% and I switch it off before I go to sleep it's always completely dead.
Original post by S2M
Whenever my iPhone is on like 30% and I switch it off before I go to sleep it's always completely dead.

Maybe you should get a new battery :tongue:
Reply 3468
Original post by + polarity -
Maybe you should get a new battery :tongue:

Can't be bothered in all honesty. :h:
You should probably do the same. :wink:
Original post by G8D
My Nexus 5 has kicked the bucket. Power button is stuck so the phone just has hardware boot-loops whenever it's plugged in.

I had the same issue (or, similar) with my first Nexus 5 and Google replaced it with a refurb. No such luck this time. I'm waiting to hear back from LG but I'm not hopeful.

I've opened her up but nothing amiss. Suspect I'd need a new switch.

What's decent now? I'd be looking to buy a phone outright so nothing flagship.

What price range you thinking? If you can I'd go for the OnePlus 3T

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Original post by G8D
I am tempted by the Moto G4 Plus (fully specced for £224 atm...). Reckon that would offer a noticeable lesser expeirence than the Nexus 5?

Also, some sites selling Xiaomi Mi 5 for £183... not sure if trust or worth a risk.

Oneplus two for £250?

Posted from TSR Mobile
:rip: MyAndroidTools, still one of my most valued apps :moon:
Original post by mikeyd85
New thread, new Nexus devices and moar Jelly Bean!

The second instalment of TSRs hub for Android discussion. The last 10,000 posts have gone from the HTC Hero to the Nexus 4 / 7 / 10 range. Can't wait to see what's knocking about when this one hits 10,000 posts! :eek3:

Im running Jelly Bean now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending