The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
it's proprietary (i.e. their own test)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it a similar style though or something completely whacky?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I heard when friends were applying last year, the test is one of the hardest you could take, rivalling Talent Q haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's similar in style to other numerical/verbals but I've heard it's a lot harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
It's similar in style to other numerical/verbals but I've heard it's a lot harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah it is fine, did their tests today - but for people that struggle with the tests they will find these ones harder though
Reply 3164
I have a nomura telephone interview for global markets on Wednesday.
If any one has done it and can help, could you please send me a PM?
Much appreciated
Original post by bored565
A day after they sent the 'you passed the tests' email

How did your phone interview go? What kinda questions they ask.?
Are people attaching grade transcripts for Goldman?
Original post by YoussefSilva
Are people attaching grade transcripts for Goldman?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do RBC have a numerical test after their verbal reasoning test?
Relax mate, I'm joking, I think these tests are the biggest pile of **** ever invented.

You know the guy who co-founded SHL, also co-founded TalentQ and also makes a mint out of creating material and creating practise material for certain websites. The guy has legit created a whole industry and minted himself out beyond imagination.

For whatever reason the providers sell to HR that these predict on the job performance with some *****y evidence and then HR believe them. They are used just to cut applicants so I was just being sarcastic in my previous post because it's ****ing obvious to a duck that these tests in no way predict actual performance.

I've never come across a candidate who thinks these tests are any good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol man thanks for clarifying. Since doing econometrics I freak out whenever people mention causation relationships, especially when they don't go in my sense haha

Original post by JessicaPearson
Hey, I know you're feeling pretty disheartened right now but please don't give up. As cliché as this is going to sound, there is a firm out there for you. These schemes/internship application processes are also a test of perseverance and you must remain hopeful and strong during times of adversity. Keep on practicing your numericals, it's long and boring but it will be worth it in the end. If you know you're confident with one area, focus on another. To improve your timing you need to put a little pressure on yourself during practice tests, try to work swiftly but thoroughly.

You said you're not sure about which divisions to apply for and I can only advise that you choose roles that match your interests and your strongest skills. READ the descriptions given on the company website of what they're looking for and if you feel like you can tick the majority of the boxes then go for it.

I feel as though higher education has conditioned a lot of us to feel like we don't match up to this "dream candidate" and we therefore restrict ourselves to where we apply and what we do because we are afraid. Fxck it, break free from the shackles and take a chance.

At the end of the day all they can do is reject you... or not reply.

Thanks for the heads-up and the camaraderie! Actually yesterday I did the CS numerical and ended up with 8 minutes spare at the last question, was so surprised haha. I hope you get what you want for next summer!
Original post by Eli5k
I have a nomura telephone interview for global markets on Wednesday.
If any one has done it and can help, could you please send me a PM?
Much appreciated

have mine then as well(ibd) im prob before you - 9am, so feel free to drop me a message after and ill give u some hints on the questions, not sure if it'll be similar for markets tho
Original post by Boppity Boo
Do RBC have a numerical test after their verbal reasoning test?

Yes - you should get a Numerical and a Verbal.
Original post by mightywizard123
Was told by HSBC that I "have not met the required criteria". Got a 2.1, 300 UCAS points etc. so anyone know what this could mean?

I know some people who got to the HSBC AC last year both target unis (380 UCAS) and they got cut but they said all the females on the AC day got thru to the next round. Seems to be a push at HSBC to lift the female percentage which is fine but they felt like they wasted a day. They enjoyed the AC as it was good experience.
Reply 3173
Hi Have you appeared for the business insight stage 1? How is the patterns? If you please let know
UBS assessment centre invite 5th of October wahooooooo
Original post by Robv96

What was the questions like at the telephone interview? And is this for IBD? Best of luck at the AC
Original post by Ox2018
What was the questions like at the telephone interview? And is this for IBD? Best of luck at the AC

Cheers! Questions were fairly standard competencies and 1 or two easy technical ones, nothing out of the ordinary and the interviewer was really friendly. And no, I applied for Securities.
Reply 3177
Invitation to Barclays phone interview, for off-cycle!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Robv96
Cheers! Questions were fairly standard competencies and 1 or two easy technical ones, nothing out of the ordinary and the interviewer was really friendly. And no, I applied for Securities.

Ah cheers! Yeah I doubt there will be any technical questions for IBD anyway :smile:
Original post by Robv96

when did you do your telephone and when did you hear back?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending