The Student Room Group

Named drivers - Can it affect other insurance policies

Hiya,

I've asked a few people this and they seem to think that it makes no difference but a few more insights would be helpful to convince my dad.

Basically I want to buy a car, only a small one, 1.2 max and insure myself, my boyfriend and my dad on it. My dad has 40 years worth of driving experience, an advanced driving license and would bring my insurance down to like... £300?

However he's a named driver on his girlfriend's car and she said that he's "not allowed" to be on mine as it would bump her insurance up yet and told me I should "pay the extra"

I planned on letting my dad use the card as a runaround until I pass my test etc.

But surely as he's only a named driver on her's and he'd be one on mine it wouldn't make any difference right?
Reply 1
It's unlikely to make a difference. I've never heard of such a thing, but that doesn't mean it's an impossibility.

Your dad's girlfriend, which insurance company is she with? They may have a policy of people only being allowed to be named drivers on one car, but I seriously doubt they could have a system whereby if a named-driver becomes a named-driver on another car, the premium increases. :s-smilie:

It doesn't quite make sense. Are you sure you've understood her properly? Or is she one to lie and extort money?!
Never heard of that either, my mum's insured on my car, her own and on her boyfriends. All the policies are separate from each other so I'm not sure what difference it makes.
nahhh it wont make any odds to her insurance policy, it just means that when you put it in his name for your car you need to remember he actually has 0 years No Claims Bonus, its all Named Driving experience, although you will find companie that can allow him discounts for it
Reply 4
DJkG.1
Or is she one to lie and extort money?!

Yes.

I think she just like the fact she can control his movements. If he has the freedom of another car he wont rely on her.
Little Lamb
Hiya,

I've asked a few people this and they seem to think that it makes no difference but a few more insights would be helpful to convince my dad.

Basically I want to buy a car, only a small one, 1.2 max and insure myself, my boyfriend and my dad on it. My dad has 40 years worth of driving experience, an advanced driving license and would bring my insurance down to like... £300?

However he's a named driver on his girlfriend's car and she said that he's "not allowed" to be on mine as it would bump her insurance up yet and told me I should "pay the extra"

I planned on letting my dad use the card as a runaround until I pass my test etc.

But surely as he's only a named driver on her's and he'd be one on mine it wouldn't make any difference right?

it would not make a (significant) difference to the insurance premium as your dad
a) has access to another motor vehicle
b) the insurers will see through the ruse of having several named drivers

and BTW
c) you are a fraudster if you were going to 'front' it that your dad was supposedly the main driver ...
zippyRN
it would not make a (significant) difference to the insurance premium as your dad

and BTW
c) you are a fraudster if you were going to 'front' it that your dad was supposedly the main driver ...

THIS!
Reply 7
zippyRN

and BTW

I was not going to FRONT it. He is a named driver not a policy holder I would be and both him and my boyfriend will be takng me out for private practice. In addition my dad hasn't got a car so I was going to let him use it for shopping.

I would not commit fraud! Plus the clue is in the fact I put NAMED driver.
Reply 8
zippyRN

and BTW

Well you've got this wrong all over.

Read the post, they were never suggesting fronting. And named drivers can have massive effects on premiums, even when you tell the insurance your dad has access to another vechicle etc. Putting my mum on my insurance brought it down almost £300 and that's with her driving and owning another car.
Fronting is over rated.

It hardly makes a difference nowadays, as soon as you add a driver to the policy that is 17 - 21, newly passed etc. the premium shoots up. It used to work a long time ago, but that system has been rinsed now.

Also, paranoia about being caught 'fronting' is also a bit pointless, its very unlikely they'll ever find out unless you inadvertently tell them yourself. You just have to stick to the story that you only drive it now and again and the policy holder is the main driver.
Reply 10
Why would it increase a different insurance policy? Surely if he's a named driver on your car he'll be driving the other one LESS so if anything it should go down! Obviously this is insurance so it never works out how it should without being overpriced...
Little Lamb
I was not going to FRONT it. He is a named driver not a policy holder I would be and both him and my boyfriend will be takng me out for private practice. In addition my dad hasn't got a car so I was going to let him use it for shopping.

I would not commit fraud! Plus the clue is in the fact I put NAMED driver.

fronting is nothing to do with the policy holder's age /experience or even possession of a driving licence ... it's about declaring who of a number of drivers is the main driver...
It won't make a difference. When insuring a car they only ask the main driver if they have access to any other cars (in other words, are they insured on any?), as you'd be the main driver, not your dad, it's irrelevent. It won't bump up any premiums for anyone. If anything having access to more than one car makes you experienced and brings the premiums down.
Reply 13
Little Lamb
My dad has 40 years worth of driving experience, an advanced driving license and would bring my insurance down to like... £300?

I've never heard anything so ridiculous.

Tell her to mind her own business let your dad decide what's best. Just tell the truth to any insurance company who asks, but if his girlfriend's insurance company doesn't ask which other cars he drives, there's no need to tell.

Any risk attached to a named driver is purely down to the person, not the other people on another policy he may be on.
Reply 14
I'm starting to wonder if SHE'S fronting ...
Named drivers having access to other cars can in certain circumstances bring down premiums, but having access to multiple cars will not raise a premium, unless in this case your dad was driving your car, had an accident, then that could raise her premium.

Remember that you can only use NCD on one car, so even if your dad has a no claims discount as a named driver, he can only use it on one car.
Reply 16
Great stuff
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Manf75
Grow up!! There could be a time in that year her dad might need to drive her car....
It's nothing to do with fraud!! It would be fraud if she vowed NOT to let anyone drive it and then DID!
My named driver is on my policy for emergency purposes only!!

Not sure what you're talking about really. My girlfriend and I are named drivers on each other's cars and I drive hers fairly often and vice versa. The "main" driver simply needs to drive the car for 50% or more during the course of the year. We're nowhere near that so it's totally within the "rules".
Original post by Manf75
Grow up!!

I imagine that these people have grown up in the last 5 years.

Quick Reply

Latest