The Student Room Group

Is it worth me applying to LSE?

GCSE: A*AAABBBCCG
AS: AABD
A2 Predicted: A*A*A*
I'm applying to politics at Warwick, Leeds and Bath.
Is it worth me applying to LSE for Government/P&IR, and which course is easier to get on to?
Thanks
Original post by kyledean99
GCSE: A*AAABBBCCG
AS: AABD
A2 Predicted: A*A*A*
I'm applying to politics at Warwick, Leeds and Bath.
Is it worth me applying to LSE for Government/P&IR, and which course is easier to get on to?
Thanks

If you're likely to meet the required entry grades then yes it is worth applying.

You should apply for whichever of the 2 courses you have the most interest and enthusiasm for - LSE place a lot more emphasis on the PS than other universities and so targeting your PS to meet the requirements of the course you're applying for at LSE would be sensible and wouldn't risk your chances of a place elsewhere
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/DepartmentalAdmissionsCriteria2017/government.aspx

86% of applicants to the Warwick politics degree get offers, 95% to Leeds and 71% to Bath...compared to around 20% for LSE.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
If you're likely to meet the required entry grades then yes it is worth applying.

You should apply for whichever of the 2 courses you have the most interest and enthusiasm for - LSE place a lot more emphasis on the PS than other universities and so targeting your PS to meet the requirements of the course you're applying for at LSE would be sensible and wouldn't risk your chances of a place elsewhere
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/DepartmentalAdmissionsCriteria2017/government.aspx

86% of applicants to the Warwick politics degree get offers, 95% to Leeds and 71% to Bath...compared to around 20% for LSE.

Where are you getting those percentages from? Not doubting you, just wouldn't mind having a look. Thanks.
Why are you predicted A*A*A* with those AS grades? When I did AS, I got AAA and was predicted A*AA. LsE won't believe the A* prediction with a B in AS unless there ar extenuating circumstances.
Reply 4
Original post by BigTraderBoi
Why are you predicted A*A*A* with those AS grades? When I did AS, I got AAA and was predicted A*AA. LsE won't believe the A* prediction with a B in AS unless there ar extenuating circumstances.

It was a single paper that I'm resitting. Oddly, the B is the subject I'm most likely to get an A* in to be honest.
Where are you getting those percentages from? Not doubting you, just wouldn't mind having a look. Thanks.

From Which? University course website
Reply 6
I had the exact same AS grades as you and couldn't even get one A* prediction, let alone three :frown:
If I were in your position I'd go for it, just make sure your personal statement is brilliant since LSE place a lot of emphasis on it.
It was a single paper that I'm resitting. Oddly, the B is the subject I'm most likely to get an A* in to be honest.

What were your ums scores? :smile:

Yeah but still, if you get a B in your AS most schools would never predict more than an A unless there were extenuating circumstances.
Even people who get A grades in AS often don't get predicted A*
Yeah but still, if you get a B in your AS most schools would never predict more than an A unless there were extenuating circumstances.

Is it worth applying to LSE with a C in English lang iGCSE? They require a B grade for English lang GCSE or equivalent if you're from UK and feel like this is stopping me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

depends on the school, if OP goes to a really poor school, hes sort of like a diamond in the rough and they'd be willing to go to the extreme for him to go to a top uni
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Is it worth applying to LSE with a C in English lang iGCSE? They require a B grade for English lang GCSE or equivalent if you're from UK and feel like this is stopping me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's probably not worth it since it's a minimum requirement and LSE is already so hard to get into. But maybe make LSE your risky choice.
It's probably not worth it since it's a minimum requirement and LSE is already so hard to get into. But maybe make LSE your risky choice.

Hmm that's true but I saw Imperial also wanted a B but apparently someone said that they'd make you do the IELTS exam so it shouldn't be a problem!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Hmm that's true but I saw Imperial also wanted a B but apparently someone said that they'd make you do the IELTS exam so it shouldn't be a problem!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Call LSE up and ask them directly - only they can comment on cases where you might not meet the admissions requirements.
Original post by PQ
Call LSE up and ask them directly - only they can comment on cases where you might not meet the admissions requirements.

Ok thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Ze Witcher
What were your ums scores? :smile:

90+ in law and economics, then 88 on one politics paper and 63 on the other :| no comment as regards history
Reply 16
I wouldn't say it's worth it tbh. Despite what your school says, they're not going to believe your predicted grades (no offence intended) and those GCSE grades are not good enough - LSE are really anal about straight A*/A grades. But if you really want to apply, there's not harm in just doing so - just don't expect an offer.

Quick Reply