The Student Room Group

Best A-levels for compsci?

I have always been very interested and passionate about computer science and knew i was going to a degree(s) in it and become a software/hardware engineer/computer scientist(forgive me for incorrect syntax if applicable)...

Recently i have been reflecting upon my choice and confirming that is what i want to do for the rest of my life...

I already know that is what i want to do but as i said i am just confirming so...

i am currently at the start of Y11...

I am one of the top in my class,predicted most A*'s and A's and do computing at GCSE and do many Extra curricular and also many related to computer science....
I am truly passionate about the subject and would like to study it at Cambridge...

WHAT A-LEVELS SHOULD I TAKE TO DO COMPUTER SCIENCE?

I WAS THINKING THE FOLLOWING( WE CAN DO 5 IF WE WANT ):
1)Computing
2)Maths
3)Further maths
4)Physics
5)Chemistry

Is this OK or great,any suggestion?

Thanks.
there's really no point doing 5. Drop chemistry.
Original post by fksociety
there's really no point doing 5. Drop chemistry.

Will it not show i can handle a larger work load?
Physics/Further Maths will do it.There is a Computer Science Alevel too.I'd recommend it instead of Chemistry.
Original post by VNN
Will it not show i can handle a larger work load?

Nope. It wont make your application any more competitive.
Original post by TomVercitti
Physics/Further Maths will do it.There is a Computer Science Alevel too.I'd recommend it instead of Chemistry.

That is the same a computing in our school,Is IT useful?
Reply 6
I highly highly recommend that you don't do 5 A Levels. Cambridge only care about 3 A Levels so it is completely pointless to do 5.

I recommend that you study:

1.) Computing
2.) Mathematics and Further Mathematics
3.) Physics

This will open ALL doors into Computer Science at any university, including all Cambridge colleges.
Original post by AshEntropy
I highly highly recommend that you don't do 5 A Levels. Cambridge only care about 3 A Levels so it is completely pointless to do 5.

I recommend that you study:

1.) Computing
3.) Physics

This will open ALL doors into Computer Science at any university, including all Cambridge colleges.

THANKS!

So you are saying that doing 5 has ABSOLUTELY NO benefits what so ever?
Original post by VNN
I have always been very interested and passionate about computer science and knew i was going to a degree(s) in it and become a software/hardware engineer/computer scientist(forgive me for incorrect syntax if applicable)...

Recently i have been reflecting upon my choice and confirming that is what i want to do for the rest of my life...

I already know that is what i want to do but as i said i am just confirming so...

I am one of the top in my class,predicted most A*'s and A's and do computing at GCSE and do many Extra curricular and also many related to computer science....
I am truly passionate about the subject and would like to study it at Cambridge...

1)Computing
2)Maths
3)Further maths
4)Physics
5)Chemistry

Thanks.

Leave chemistry and do 4 or 3. For Computer Science you should pick: Computer Science, Maths, Further Maths Physics.
Original post by VNN

1)Computing
2)Maths
3)Further maths
4)Physics
5)Chemistry

Thanks.

As a comp sci second year, in hindsight, I wish I had done maths, further maths, electronics, and computing, that would have been the perfect combination, physics is nice, but I wouldn't say it really helped me haha
Original post by VNN
THANKS!

No. Go with 4. You'll thank yourself later on.
Even the best and brightest would find 5 difficult.
Reply 11
Original post by VNN
THANKS!

Absolutely no benefit whatsoever. I don't know if you've noticed but all degree requirements at universities like Cambridge say "A*A*A" or similar. It's ALWAYS 3 A Levels that they specify, people that do 4 / 5 A Levels are at absolutely no advantage to those that do 3. The university only considers the best 3 A Levels. The only exception to this is doing 4 A Levels including maths and further maths (but most universities count maths/further maths as 1 A Level.)
Reply 12

I just got this for you on Cambridge's website.
If you study:

1.) Computing
3.) Physics

You'll fulfill all entry requirements for all colleges at Cambridge. So honestly, there is no reason at all to study 4/5 A Levels.
Original post by AshEntropy

I just got this for you on Cambridge's website.
If you study:

1.) Computing
3.) Physics

You'll fulfill all entry requirements for all colleges at Cambridge. So honestly, there is no reason at all to study 4/5 A Levels.

Wow...Thanks!

What does it mean at the end by ' or three science/mathematics subjects ' ?
Reply 14
Original post by VNN
Wow...Thanks!

What does it mean at the end by ' or three science/mathematics subjects ' ?

You will also fulfill that requirement too :smile:

"Three Science/Mathematics subjects"

1.) Computing
3.) Physics

Quick Reply

Latest