The Student Room Group

CS VS MED in terms of respect?

I have always been very interested and passionate about computer science and knew i was going to a degree(s) in it and become a software/hardware engineer/computer scientist(forgive me for incorrect syntax if applicable)...

Recently i have been reflecting upon my choice and confirming that is what i want to do for the rest of my life...

I already know that is what i want to do but as i said i am just confirming so...

i am currently at the start of Y11...

I am one of the top in my class,predicted most A*'s and A's and do computing at GCSE and do many Extra curricular and also many related to computer science....
I am truly passionate about the subject and would like to study it at Cambridge...

HOWEVER,my dad is a surgeon and he says that the career is OK and is not encouraging nor discouraging me to go into...But my mum and other relatives are insisting/persuading me to go into medicine and become a doctor/surgeon?

I much prefer and i absolutely love/am obsessed with computer science and very talented at it and also at maths and sciences...

WHO IS BETTER RESPECT:A COMPUTER SCIENTIST/SOFTWARE ENGINEER/HARDWARE ENGINEER OR A DOCTOR/SURGEON AND WHY...THANKS.
However,my parents say that i am smart enough for medicine and thus i should go for it(I know) and that it is a more noble professions and finally that it pays better(IS THIS TRUE,I THOUGH COMPUTER SCIENCE WAS VERY WELL PAYING???)

What should i do,They are happy with computer science but i'm very confused as even though computing is almost part of me i fear there words may be better than mine due to experience???

Any other advice will also be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
Stupid question. Obviously it will be anyone in the medical sector as they deal with a person's health and well-being, and that is much more important and respected everywhere than someone who works with computer's.
Original post by RDKGames
Stupid question. Obviously it will be anyone in the medical sector as they deal with a person's health and well-being, and that is much more important and respected everywhere than someone who works with computer's.

You say the question's stupid whereas your response could not be anymore so....
it depends on a persons opinion and is not a fact...
Original post by VNN
I have always been very interested and passionate about computer science and knew i was going to a degree(s) in it and become a software/hardware engineer/computer scientist(forgive me for incorrect syntax if applicable)...

Recently i have been reflecting upon my choice and confirming that is what i want to do for the rest of my life...

I already know that is what i want to do but as i said i am just confirming so...

i am currently at the start of Y11...

I am one of the top in my class,predicted most A*'s and A's and do computing at GCSE and do many Extra curricular and also many related to computer science....
I am truly passionate about the subject and would like to study it at Cambridge...

HOWEVER,my dad is a surgeon and he says that the career is OK and is not encouraging nor discouraging me to go into...But my mum and other relatives are insisting/persuading me to go into medicine and become a doctor/surgeon?

I much prefer and i absolutely love/am obsessed with computer science and very talented at it and also at maths and sciences...

WHO IS BETTER RESPECT:A COMPUTER SCIENTIST/SOFTWARE ENGINEER/HARDWARE ENGINEER OR A DOCTOR/SURGEON AND WHY...THANKS.
However,my parents say that i am smart enough for medicine and thus i should go for it(I know) and that it is a more noble professions and finally that it pays better(IS THIS TRUE,I THOUGH COMPUTER SCIENCE WAS VERY WELL PAYING???)

What should i do,They are happy with computer science but i'm very confused as even though computing is almost part of me i fear there words may be better than mine due to experience???

Any other advice will also be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

If computer science is what you love, do that, in my knowledge it is a good paying field and it is ever expanding especially with the amount of technology we use today.

Just to be clear, if you do decide to apply for medicine, then make sure you know what you are putting yourself up for, it's definately not an easy feat and you need a lot of passion to get through with it. I applied for med last year and the amount of preparation you need to do for it is completely insane. I spent most of my free time volunteering or prepping for either my UKCAT or BMAT. And not to mention the interviews.

I'm not discouraging you to go into med, just telling you, if you do go into it, make sure it is what you really want. Have a chat with your dad and ask him about how he's finding it/found it. Also, research into it and figure out which one you think you would enjoy.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Do what makes you happy, not what earns you more 'respect'.
Original post by RDKGames

It's not really a stupid question though is it? Let's be real, the use of computers are expanding and the technology is already being used in the medical field (ie in surgeries.) It is a personal opinion as there are people who would respect Computer Science more than Medicine.
Original post by cookiemonster15
If computer science is what you love, do that, in my knowledge it is a good paying field and it is ever expanding especially with the amount of technology we use today.

Just to be clear, if you do decide to apply for medicine, then make sure you know what you are putting yourself up for, it's definately not an easy feat and you need a lot of passion to get through with it. I applied for med last year and the amount of preparation you need to do for it is completely insane. I spent most of my free time volunteering or prepping for either my UKCAT or BMAT. And not to mention the interviews.

I'm not discouraging you to go into med, just telling you, if you do go into it, make sure it is what you really want. Have a chat with your dad and ask him about how he's finding it/found it. Also, research into it and figure out which one you think you would enjoy.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation(seems like that's hard to receive from some people on this particular thread)...

I defintely prefer computing and i talked to my dad and he said it is a OK career but not great in terms of money and for the work surgeons do they are under-paid and fields like computer science,engineering and other pay more...
IS this true?

Thanks.
It's not really a stupid question though is it? Let's be real, the use of computers are expanding and the technology is already being used in the medical field (ie in surgeries.) It is a personal opinion as there are people who would respect Computer Science more than Medicine.

Agreed...
Original post by VNN
You say the question's stupid whereas your response could not be anymore so....
it depends on a persons opinion and is not a fact...

You asked, I answered. Ask anyone, anywhere, most people will answer Medicine straight away. Key word there is "most". Not ONLY due to what is involved, but also the amount of hoops you must go through just to get into a medical school, let alone become a doctor. You simply do not have as much pressure in CS.

If you want to do CS, do CS. My response is solely based on terms of respect as you have asked. Do not try to argue if you do not know anything about both subjects. If you think my answer is subjective, then perhaps you shouldn't be looking for definitive facts in a subjective question. It's all down to you.

It's not really a stupid question though is it?

It is if you are going by statistics of a large population's opinions between the two. In the grand scheme, both are well respected.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by VNN
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation(seems like that's hard to receive from some people on this particular thread)...

I defintely prefer computing and i talked to my dad and he said it is a OK career but not great in terms of money and for the work surgeons do they are under-paid and fields like computer science,engineering and other pay more...
IS this true?

Thanks.

Serious;y, if you prefer computing, go for that. At the end of the day, you're going to be doing something you love :smile:

See, the thing with Medicine is that a lot of people believe that it is highly paying, and it is once you have reached a certain level of the profession, but for Junior doctors the pay is nowhere near the amount that people think it is, or the amount that they deserve (I know many junior doctors who work overtime nearly everyday and don't get paid for that.) Going into Medicine takes dedication.

I've done a quick google search on average pay for fields like CS and it doesn't sound bad at all. I'm not very well versed in CS though, but I have a friend doing a computer science degree at the moment so if you want, I could ask her and find out more :smile:

Do what you enjoy. That's my advice on this anyway :smile:
Serious;y, if you prefer computing, go for that. At the end of the day, you're going to be doing something you love :smile:

See, the thing with Medicine is that a lot of people believe that it is highly paying, and it is once you have reached a certain level of the profession, but for Junior doctors the pay is nowhere near the amount that people think it is, or the amount that they deserve (I know many junior doctors who work overtime nearly everyday and don't get paid for that.) Going into Medicine takes dedication.

I've done a quick google search on average pay for fields like CS and it doesn't sound bad at all. I'm not very well versed in CS though, but I have a friend doing a computer science degree at the moment so if you want, I could ask her and find out more :smile:

Do what you enjoy. That's my advice on this anyway :smile:

Thanks a lot!

If you do not mind...Could you please ask you friend for more details?

Apart from that you have been very helpful!

Thanks!
Original post by VNN
Thanks a lot!

If you do not mind...Could you please ask you friend for more details?

Apart from that you have been very helpful!

Thanks!

Yeah sure, I'll get back to you once she replies :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest