The Student Room Group

Corbyn wins again!

Scroll to see replies

lmao. Great news for the Conservatives.
Original post by Rakas21
I imagine that many of our fellow Tories felt a moment of intense pleasure knowing that the market economy is safe for another decade or so.

What makes the 'market economy' (which we have a fairly twisted version of) 'safe' is not the elected leaders, but the lack of major crises in that economy. Dark clouds are still present over the current neoliberal project and it increasingly looks like its heading for another major fail, sooner rather than later. If that's catastrophic, all political bets are off and Corbyn could well win the day, or at the very least, be a strong contender. People won't keep voting for the neoliberal party if it's totally obvious that they represent massive failure. That's what did for New Labour and there's no reason why it can't do for the current iteration of Toryism.
Original post by seaholme
Unfortunately have to agree with you. Depressing stuff, but then I didn't think Owen Smith was much better, the only thing he had going for him was not being Jeremy Corbyn. Labour lacks strong political figures and the way Corbyn runs the party to alienate fellow MPs, it won't do again for some time.

I feel a split is coming, and is inevitable. Like the SDP spit. It will slaughter the leftist's of any chance of political power to change.
Reply 43
Original post by 303Pharma
Well welcome to at least ten to fifteen years of tory government. Labour, with Corbyn as leader, is totally unelectable.

Are you writing headlines for the Daily Mail?
For the first time since Thatcher, Britain has an actual right-wing leader and it's precisely because of the lack of credible opposition. Corbyn = Tories running riot.
Original post by Chakede
Polarisation of poltiics in the 2000s. far right getting bigger, far left getting bigger, extremisim ie islamic fundamentalism and gang culture in youth getting bigger. Tradtional middle ground shrinking.

China will invade soon and run the show

See I thought we wanted foreign take overs and investment and to embrace the whole wide world. Also we want to run our own affairs without any foreign interference, but double think is awesome and experts are ****. Go FREEDOM.

Of course then we remember they are foreign, specifically not the kind of foreign we prefer.

So actually we don't want them. Not at all.

But then we remember we have no choice because we Brexit.

I mean we haven't actually Brexit, but Brexit means Brexit and so Brexit. It is known.

/British politics
:rolleyes:
Reply 46
Original post by Fullofsurprises
What makes the 'market economy' (which we have a fairly twisted version of) 'safe' is not the elected leaders, but the lack of major crises in that economy. Dark clouds are still present over the current neoliberal project and it increasingly looks like its heading for another major fail, sooner rather than later. If that's catastrophic, all political bets are off and Corbyn could well win the day, or at the very least, be a strong contender. People won't keep voting for the neoliberal party if it's totally obvious that they represent massive failure. That's what did for New Labour and there's no reason why it can't do for the current iteration of Toryism.

May appears to be talking about investment and a move away from Cameron style cuts. She moved very quickly to rule out the "punishment budget" too. We won't know for sure till the Autumn statement but I don't think economic policy is going to simply be more of the same. Given how far left Corbyn is May can easily afford a small move to the left and still come across as the party of business and economic stability. I don't think the current government would be as easily flawed by an economic shock as Cameron or Brown's PMship was.
Original post by AlexanderHam
But he's not really devoid of charisma, is he? Most of the people who say this are the people who adopt this kind of snotty affectation of being politically unbiased, "Oh I'm so very very superior and above grubby partisanship. I'm almost on another plane of existence, so elevated is my intellect".

Polls consistently show that ordinary voters prefer Smith to Corbyn something like 65 to 35. In interviews Owen Smith always masters the policy brief and is great on the details, and he's always upbeat and in reality is a really nice guy.

Jeremy Corbyn, by contrast, is a crabby old throwback to the 1970s who shouts at journalists who ask him unwanted questions, takes thousands of pounds as payment to be a television shill for a regime that lynches gay men from cranes, and has happily allowed a cult of personality to grow around him both for reasons of vanity and to have a political attack force to menace his enemies.

Anyone who thinks the two are in any way comparable has obviously had a moral sensibility bypass

I don't know where you've heard or what makes you think that Corbyns labour is at all homophobic? The labour left under Corbyn is the most anti-homophobic party in Britain, far more so than new labour, the lib dems or the greens or even the Tories who are also very anti-homophobic.
Exit Poll is interesting, though slightly underestimated Corbyn's margin of victory.

Corbyn's strongest support came from, it seems:
- Those who joined after the 2015 General election
- Brexit voters
- Those who didn't vote Labour in 2015.
- Women
- 25-59 year olds (surprisingly enough, Smith actually won 18-24s, and Corbyn won by a smaller margin among Over 60s)
- Those from worse-off class backgrounds (though this was marginal - 62% of C2DE voters backed Corbyn compared to 57% ABC1s)
- The North and Midlands (Smith won in Scotland, and London was quite close, though Corbyn safely won in the non-London South as well)
- Those who voted online (Smith won among postal voters)
Good result!
Well welcome to at least ten to fifteen years of tory government. Labour, with Corbyn as leader, is totally unelectable.

They're only unelectable if people are persuaded by the right-wing media that they're unelectable and so don't vote for them.

I hope you can see the gaping hole in your "look how smart I am by repeating the mass media rhetoric" statement.
Reply 51
Excellent news. Tories till 2025. :u:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
He reigns supreme.

Now all he needs is more than half a dozen MPs to support him, which is going to be difficult.

Not that hard, come 2020 all his MPs will support him, although can't say there will be many of them
Original post by Ambitious1999
I don't know where you've heard or what makes you think that Corbyns labour is at all homophobic?

Corbyn accepted £20,000 as payment to shill on television for a regime that lynches gay men from cranes. He is close friends with a man who said homosexuals should be put to death. He invited an organisation that horribly persecutes LGBT people to parliament for a solidarity meeting, referred to them as being "dedicated to peace and social justice" and called them "honoured guests" and "friends".

If someone befriends and supports the Ku Klux Klan, if they accepted payments from a white supremacist organisation, if they called the Aryan Church "dedicated to peace and social justice", then it would be fair to say that he is no friend of Africa Americans, and that he is completely indifferent to their welfare and to racism against them.

The same principle works with homophobia. Corbyn has placed his extreme foreign policy views over and above speaking out against the murder and oppression of gay people. He took thousands of pounds for a regime that murders gay men, for ****'s sake. So don't tell me that he's some hero for gay rights; the fact that he supports the same gay rights measures that pretty much every party now does, it does not override his friendships and business deals with groups that kill LGBT or call for them to be executed

@JamesN88 @KingBradly
(edited 7 years ago)
Disaster.

My last hope is that Theresa May calls an early election next year. She will win, of course, but better that she wins next year than in 2020. The sooner Corbyn faces the whole electorate, the better. After he loses a general election, no matter how many Labour party members want to take a selfie with him, his position will be untenable.
Original post by DMcGovern
They're only unelectable if people are persuaded by the right-wing media that they're unelectable and so don't vote for them.

That's completely circular logic, and unsupported by any evidence.

They're unelectable because of Corbyn's policies and his terrorist-supporting baggage. People dislike Corbyn because of things he's said and done, not because some newspapers call him unelectable.

Of course it's absolutely impossible to get through to Corbynites on that score; they prefer excuses and victimhood to actually taking responsibility for their own incompetence and unelectability and doing something about it
Original post by AlexanderHam

They're unelectable because of Corbyn's policies and his terrorist-supporting baggage. People dislike Corbyn because of things he's said and done, not because some newspapers call him unelectable.

Examples? Which "terrorists"? and which things he's "said and done"?

Of course it's absolutely impossible to get through to Corbynites on that score; they prefer excuses and victimhood to actually taking responsibility for their own incompetence and unelectability and doing something about it

Your ad hominem argument here contributes nothing to the argument.
Original post by DMcGovern
Your ad hominem argument here contributes nothing to the argument.

That wasn't ad hominem, just saying. :rolleyes:
Original post by Snufkin
That wasn't ad hominem. just saying. :rolleyes:

That was the definition of an ad hominem argument, directed at people who hold an opinion rather than actually dissecting their argument.
Reply 59

You say that but clearly the majority of the labour party and its members think your idea is complete horse **** son.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending