18. Sussex
19. Bristol
20. Nottingham
21. Southampton
22. Newcastle

Scroll to see replies

Have you got the top 30?
Reply 2
It's not officially out yet to the public. This was done using the publications of universities and local newspapers close to the universities - they are given the correct information from the source. Any official link would require a paid subscription to the Times/Sunday Times, so there's no point.
Reply 3
Original post by Saliency
Have you got the top 30?

This post is basically a time saving thing - If you want to find the ranking of a particular university, be tactical with the search tools on google news and you'll find it. I've used this method for a couple of years now and it's always been correct; this year, I thought I'd share it.
Original post by jamiejammy
Here is the top 22:
3. Durham

This says Durham is 4th: http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2016-09-23/durham-uni-ranked-top-in-the-north-east/

Yes, you are right and I wish I could correct my mistake. However, I believe the account that made the original post has been banned.

I've updated the majority of university's Wikipedia pages with their new Times ranking 2017 if you want to check that.
Original post by Jamiejamdon
Yes, you are right and I wish I could correct my mistake. However, I believe the account that made the original post has been banned.

I've updated the majority of university's Wikipedia pages with their new Times ranking 2017 if you want to check that.

Huh, why were you banned?
I suspect that it's violating a rule somewhere that this info is explicitly shown like this, given that it's the essence of the guide itself (which obvs makes money)
Hmmm, switch Durham with Imperial and Warwick with LSE and I'd say the top 8 are pretty much spot on.

Lancaster and Loughborough, however, have no business being in the top 22, let alone the top 11.

Bristol and Nottingham are the two given the raw end of the deal here, they're a lot better than quite a few of the ones above them (looking at you, Lancaster, Loughborough, York, UEA).

Do you know when the rankings will be released officially? Would love to know how badly London Met have done.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by #ChaosKass
Hmmm, switch Durham with Imperial and Warwick with LSE and I'd say the top 8 are pretty much spot on.

Lancaster and Loughborough, however, have no business being in the top 22, let alone the top 11.

Bristol and Nottingham are the two given the raw end of the deal here, they're a lot better than quite a few of the ones above them (looking at you, Lancaster, Loughborough, York, UEA).

Do you know when the rankings will be released officially? Would love to know how badly London Met have done.

Agreed. They're released officially on Sunday. :smile:
Is that the Forbes rich list where I'll find my future husband

And what scientific methodology have you used to determine the above that is superior to these league tables?
(edited 7 years ago)
Another reason why I will never take these rankings seriously, rofl at Surrey, Sussex, Lancaster and Loughborough being so high.

atleast they weren't dumb enough to put Kings in there too.
(edited 7 years ago)
What criterion is being used to determine the list? The University of Edinburgh is ranked #19 in the QS University World Rankings rating higher than St Andrews, Durham, Exeter and most all of the other universities on your list yet it's not listed in this list of the top 22 of the Sunday Times Good University Guide. All of these rankings don't make sense because they don't seem to be consistant. They seem to be rating a certain area but the subject heading makes it seem like it is a comprehensive rating which then becomes confusing.
Someone who works for Nottingham Uni posted the Top 25: http://wonkhe.com/blogs/times-sunday-times-2017-ranking-top-placings/

Original post by Hopefully1
What criterion is being used to determine the list? The University of Edinburgh is ranked #19 in the QS University World Rankings rating higher than St Andrews, Durham, Exeter and most all of the other universities on your list yet it's not listed in this list of the top 22 of the Sunday Times Good University Guide. All of these rankings don't make sense because they don't seem to be consistant. They seem to be rating a certain area but the subject heading makes it seem like it is a comprehensive rating which then becomes confusing.

9 student metrics (e.g. dropout rate, graduate employment, entry standards, teaching satisfaction, research quality etc). Edinburgh uni has fallen 15 places to be ranked joint 37th with Heriot Watt (??)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamiejammy
Here is the top 22:

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Durham
4. St Andrews
5. Imperial
6. UCL
7. Warwick
8. LSE
9. Lancaster
9. Exeter
11. Loughborough
12. Bath
13. Leeds
14. Surrey
15. York
15. East Anglia
17. Birmingham
18. Sussex
19. Bristol
20. Nottingham
21. Southampton
22. Newcastle

This link tells a different story: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2017/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/country/2784/sort_by/rank_label/sort_order/asc/cols/rank_only

Why would The Times say Cambridge is the best UK university in one list, and Oxford in another? :confused:
Original post by Snufkin
This link tells a different story: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2017/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/25/country/2784/sort_by/rank_label/sort_order/asc/cols/rank_only

Why would The Times say Cambridge is the best UK university in one list, and Oxford in another? :confused:

They take different things into account. The national rankings place a larger emphasis on student experience and graduate prospects. The global rankings place a larger emphasis on international outlook, research, and a diverse student background.
Original post by DarkEnergy
They take different things into account. The national rankings place a larger emphasis on student experience and graduate prospects. The global rankings place a larger emphasis on international outlook, research, and a diverse student background.

I trust the global rankings more tbh.
Original post by Snufkin
I trust the global rankings more tbh.

Same. I don't want to start a flame war so I'm not going to name names, but there are some there that are way overrated.

For the record, it's not bottom.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending