The Student Room Group

Lefty loosey, righty tighty! :)

For those of you who don't know - and this may be obvious - here's a little tip on using tools:

Lefty loosey, righty tighty!

That means that whenever you're (un)screwing a bolt/nail into place, you can use the above golden rule to make sure you're (un)screwing it right every time! Turn your tool (wrench/screwdriver/..) to the left (counter-clockwise) and you will loosen the bolt, turn it to the right (clockwise) and you will tighten the bolt. I believe this applies everywhere! Feel free to correct me if not.

Happy tooling!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm very good at using my tool but thanks for the tip :smile:
I was expecting a thread about promiscuity and political views. Disappointed.
Reply 3
Hm.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah... tools... screwing... hehehe... :sexface:
Another important note: the left-loose and right-tight idea only works when your tool is at the 12 o'clock position... once your wrench or spanner is at the 6 o'clock position then turning it left will actually tighten it and turning right will loosen it.

That's why it's better to remember it as a matter of clockwise or anti-clockwise rather than left or right
Reply 6
Original post by Quantex
I was expecting a thread about promiscuity and political views. Disappointed.

Discussions geared towards politics would take place in the politics sub-forum.
Reply 7
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Another important note: the left-loose and right-tight idea only works when your tool is at the 12 o'clock position... once your wrench or spanner is at the 6 o'clock position then turning it left will actually tighten it and turning right will loosen it.

That's why it's better to remember it as a matter of clockwise or anti-clockwise rather than left or right

Odd.. I don't see the logic in that.
I though this was a violin bow tightening thing but no!Its applicable to everything!:gah: What a joyous moment this is!
Reply 9
Original post by 571122

I was confused for a second too but I understand now; if the wrench is pointing down and you turn it left you are actually turning it clockwise.
Reply 10
Original post by IWMTom
I was confused for a second too but I understand now; if the wrench is pointing down and you turn it left you are actually turning it clockwise.

Ohhh.. thank you, it's clear to me now. It was unclear because most people, including myself, always reset their wrist position and never pass the 6 o'clock mark (not to mention that's an unnatural position that would hurt your wrist unless you reset your position, or you could use your right arm but that would still be illogical. The only way that makes sense is using your right hand to do it so that the left-loose, right-tight rule becomes true again).
Yeah, I remember this from my mums friend, sounds cringy and weird but it really helps.
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
I though this was a violin bow tightening thing but no!Its applicable to everything!:gah: What a joyous moment this is!

i thought it was a violin thing too
Reply 13
Original post by tay_lee
i thought it was a violin thing too

Hmm.. I know no one who plays violin, but congratulations on choosing such a fine art.
Applies to vaginas too.

The liberal lefties think being slutty is something to be proud of. To them *** and cock is like cheese and wine. Righties are more classy and only have sex in relationships. Are exceptions of course.
Did you just learn this?*

Everytime my mum uses a screwdriver we have to remind her of this. She still forgets. *
Original post by 571122
For those of you who don't know - and this may be obvious - here's a little tip on using tools:

That means that whenever you're (un)screwing a bolt/nail into place, you can use the above golden rule to make sure you're (un)screwing it right every time! Turn your tool (wrench/screwdriver/..) to the left (counter-clockwise) and you will loosen the bolt, turn it to the right (clockwise) and you will tighten the bolt. I believe this applies everywhere! Feel free to correct me if not.

Happy tooling!

I'm being slightly pedantic here but it's not the case if you're fitting new peddles to a bike, one side goes the opposite way.
Reply 17
Original post by sinfonietta
Did you just learn this?*

Everytime my mum uses a screwdriver we have to remind her of this. She still forgets. *

No, I learned this in my late 20's. I posted this because I know many millennials/kids nowadays don't learn or know what hard work is because their parents always spoil them..
Original post by 571122

If it's a circle, it's always applicable. Wait what, ffs
Original post by 571122

That means that whenever you're (un)screwing a bolt/nail into place, you can use the above golden rule to make sure you're (un)screwing it right every time! Turn your tool wrench/screwdriver/..) to the left (counter-clockwise) and you will loosen the bolt, turn it to the right (clockwise) and you will tighten the bolt. I believe this applies everywhere! Feel free to correct me if not.

Happy tooling!

Hey! That's what I use as a reminder as well! 😛

Quick Reply