The Student Room Group

Cambridge: Do I stand a chance?

GCSEs did not go well for me. I only achieved 3 A*s, 7 As and a B. However, at A-level I achieved an A* in mathematics fast track (The A-level is done in one year instead two) and 2 As in Chemistry and Biology. This means I am predicted 3 A*s for Biology, Chemistry and Further Maths.

Do I still stand a chance bearing in mind my GCSE results?
Original post by A*ornothing
GCSEs did not go well for me. I only achieved 3 A*s, 7 As and a B. However, at A-level I achieved an A* in mathematics fast track (The A-level is done in one year instead two) and 2 As in Chemistry and Biology. This means I am predicted 3 A*s for Biology, Chemistry and Further Maths.

Do I still stand a chance bearing in mind my GCSE results?

What was your UMS in the AS/A2s you've done so far? That's one of the important factors for Cambridge, along with your results in the admissions exam/s and interview/s. Your GCSEs are of little importance!
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
What was your UMS in the AS/A2s you've done so far? That's one of the important factors for Cambridge, along with your results in the admissions exam/s and interview/s. Your GCSEs are of little importance!

A-level
C1 = 100 UMS
C2 = 100 UMS
C3 = 82 UMS
C4 = 94 UMS

AS
Biology = 90 UMS
Chemistry = 94 UMS

I should also mention I wish to study medicine.

UKCAT = 790
A-level
C1 = 100 UMS
C2 = 100 UMS
C3 = 82 UMS
C4 = 94 UMS

AS
Biology = 90 UMS
Chemistry = 94 UMS

UKCAT = 790

That's not all of your modules for Maths, what's the overall average UMS? From what I understand (and take this with a big pinch of salt because I've not really done anything with Cambridge admissions for a few years now) you want at least a 90% UMS average, ideally closer to 95%, to be competitive when applying for Cambridge. @jneill would know better though.
Reply 4
oh sorry

S1 = 100 UMS
M1 = 94 UMS

Well that gives me an average of 94.25%.
oh sorry

S1 = 100 UMS
M1 = 94 UMS

By my calculations it's 93.5%, I'd have thought that would still be competitive though. I'd wait for someone who actually knows about Medicine at Cambridge specifically though.
A-level
C1 = 100 UMS
C2 = 100 UMS
C3 = 82 UMS
C4 = 94 UMS

AS
Biology = 90 UMS
Chemistry = 94 UMS

UKCAT = 790

how can you get a a* for maths. 82+94 for c3c4 is 88%, you need 90% for the a*
oh sorry

S1 = 100 UMS
M1 = 94 UMS

ATs who host their thread in this forum has repeatedly said UMS average isn't that important as that's not how they assess candidates.

Your GCSE is ok as they're above their minimum require grades for medicine applicants.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/medicine

But your AS/A-levels are bit on a low side compared to typical successful candidates. So, it'd be up to other aspects of application if you'll be competitive enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending