The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by luisgouveia98
I'm going to apply to do accounting and finance in 2017 but I'm kind of unsure, because:

At GCSE, I got 2 A*s and 7 As, however I got a C in English language which might ruin my chances, should I redo my English language to make it better, or do you think it doesn't really matter?

I've got 3 As at AS level and I think I can probably get AAA or A*AA at the end of A2. Again, however, two of my subjects are on their "non preferred" subject list (I do Maths, Accounting and ICT).

I might phone up admissions to ask if I meet the criteria but I know they don't really discuss suitability for applications.

What do you guys think I should do?

You can retake the English, but you might be better off just doing IELTS after you recieve an offer.
Your grades look fine, but the fact that 2 are on the "non-preferred" list makes it probably a weak application. Why doing ICT though? Should have done Economics or something along those lines maybe. You should contact LSE to ask. Good luck.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by TheNicholas
Hi everyone,
I'm a post a level applicant and I'm applying for maths with Econ :smile:

If you dont mind sharing, what results did you get? On gap year now or retaking?
Did you get an offer from them last year? :smile:
Original post by Fbiemad
If you dont mind sharing, what results did you get? On gap year now or retaking?
Did you get an offer from them last year? :smile:

Yeah sure that's fine,
I'm on a gap year
I didn't apply last year,
My results are:
5A*s 6As GCSE
4As AS
A*AA A2 with 97% maths and 2 marks off A* FM
Original post by Fbiemad
Hey,

Firstly, good effort trying to confuse the reader by putting the IGCSE grades in random order :biggrin:.

Secondly, in AS there are no A*s, thats only in A2. Also, by "3 points" do you mean 3 marks or 3 UMS. (Doesnt matter that much which it is to be honest)

Thirdly, it is true that in some cases having an amazing PS "might" make up for lower grades (to get the conditional offer), but thats not always the case and also if it is, you still have to meet the requirements they ask you for in A2 though! If you miss the grade by even 1 mark, you will most likely get rejected no matter what (not even joking). Make sure you apply with the prediction of at least what they need, if its less then you are unlikely to get an offer since they dont interview you. They do sometimes give the UGAA test though.

Lastly, your extra curriculum points are alright, but I dont have that much information about the course you are applying for. Make sure they are related to your course though, if possible.

Good luck. :smile:

Thanks for answering my questions hahaha really helped me :h:
Hi, I am considering applying for history at LSE. Although I got 10 A*s and an A at GCSE, my AS levels weren't as strong with ABBC. I am predicted AAA, do you think i stand a chance because i know the course is ridiculously competitive and don't want to waste a uni option? Thank you :smile:
GCSE's: 4A*, 6As,1B.
AS: Only did Geography AS and got an A.
(General Studies-B)
Predicted grades- A*AA (Geo, Chem, Phys)
Applying for IR at LSE. What are my chances?
I got a C in English lang iGCSE and they require a B for English language. So shall I give up my dreams of going to LSE?
Would the A in english lit be able to somehow substitute it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
I got a C in English lang iGCSE and they require a B for English language. So shall I give up my dreams of going to LSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont know if you can substitute it, you can ask them. :smile:
But getting a C in English doesnt mean they will 100% reject you. If you get accepted they will require an IELTS grade from you instead since your IGCSE English doesnt meet the requirement.
Original post by username7777
Hi, I am considering applying for history at LSE. Although I got 10 A*s and an A at GCSE, my AS levels weren't as strong with ABBC. I am predicted AAA, do you think i stand a chance because i know the course is ridiculously competitive and don't want to waste a uni option? Thank you :smile:

Dont have that much information on the course you are applying, but it really depends which subject you got those grades in, especially the C.
If you want an honest opinion, real the spoiler. Good luck.

Spoiler

Original post by gazebo99
GCSE's: 4A*, 6As,1B.
AS: Only did Geography AS and got an A.
(General Studies-B)
Predicted grades- A*AA (Geo, Chem, Phys)
Applying for IR at LSE. What are my chances?

In terms of grades its looks good, but I dont know which subjects are useful for IR course, so I cant really judge. :smile:
Im just guessing, but maybe if you had Politics or History it might have helped a bit more, but again I have no clue what people usually study before applying for IR at LSE.
Anyone applying for BSc Economics? If yes, what subjects are you studying? (with AS grades and Prediction if you are happy to share).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know a student who got a C in IGCSE english and now studies at the LSE but was never asked to sit IELTS. UK immigration waives this requirement for certain english speaking countries( see list below). The rules can change every year.

https://www.kent.ac.uk/ems/eng-lang-reqs/english-speaking-countries.html
Original post by Fbiemad
You can retake the English, but you might be better off just doing IELTS after you recieve an offer.
Your grades look fine, but the fact that 2 are on the "non-preferred" list makes it probably a weak application. Why doing ICT though? Should have done Economics or something along those lines maybe. You should contact LSE to ask. Good luck.

Thank you so much for replying and for the advice. I'm annoyed at myself because I should of looked at the entry requirements before now. My college doesn't offer economics otherwise I would of probably done it instead of accounting. I'm such an idiot! The level of competitiveness is so high for that course that I think it's pretty impossible for me to get in. I contacted them and they pretty much said exactly what you said, that it would be a weak application.
Original post by Fbiemad
Dont have that much information on the course you are applying, but it really depends which subject you got those grades in, especially the C.
If you want an honest opinion, real the spoiler. Good luck.

Spoiler

The C is in maths, so fairly important although I dropped that at A2. Thank you for your help, I suppose I may as well try as I have a couple of safer options.
Original post by Fbiemad
I dont know if you can substitute it, you can ask them. :smile:
But getting a C in English doesnt mean they will 100% reject you. If you get accepted they will require an IELTS grade from you instead since your IGCSE English doesnt meet the requirement.

But since I don't meet the requirement wouldn't it be more likely they reject me as they would probably want someone who meets the requirement for everything or exceeds them?

What is the IELTS exam like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 10A*s at GCSE, AAA at AS level in Maths Geography and French (No economics AS level because of new linear course) and I am predicted A*A*A*+A in Maths Economics Geography and AS Further Maths

My maths UMS were:
C1: 100
C2: 90
C3: 92
M1: 96

How likely am I to get an offer for economics? My personal statement I think is decent I hope

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
But since I don't meet the requirement wouldn't it be more likely they reject me as they would probably want someone who meets the requirement for everything or exceeds them?

What is the IELTS exam like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

IELTS is easy if you have done English as First Language. Just practise a bit since it needs its own technique.
Once again, do not worry about the english at all, worst case is that they will give you an IELTS condition instead of accepting your IGCSE English, nothing too serious.
Original post by Fbiemad
IELTS is easy if you have done English as First Language. Just practise a bit since it needs its own technique.
Once again, do not worry about the english at all, worst case is that they will give you an IELTS condition instead of accepting your IGCSE English, nothing too serious.

Ok thank you so much! That's a relief ahaha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
I got 10A*s at GCSE, AAA at AS level in Maths Geography and French (No economics AS level because of new linear course) and I am predicted A*A*A*+A in Maths Economics Geography and AS Further Maths

My maths UMS were:

How likely am I to get an offer for economics? My personal statement I think is decent I hope

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner

My maths UMS were:

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say in terms of grade you are fine. Depends on the UMS/Perecentages though... (On French and Geography the % and on Maths the UMS of each module)
I am not sure, but I think some Universities prefer you to do the AS even if it doesnt count towards A-Levels. LSE might be one of them, but I do not know. Because to be honest predictions are not always correct and its hard for them to know if for example your Economics is actually A* level or not. It would have been better if you did AS Economics exam.
Also, it would have been slightly better if you did Further maths instead of the French, but this is not that big of a deal since you will be doing the AS further maths at least.

Overall I think you have good grades so you just have to wait and see if you will get an offer or not, since sometimes very strong applicants get rejected too. The wait for LSE to respond will be very long for many applicants so it will be tough... (Few will hear back early, but many hear back near the end)
No one is guaranteed an offer for the top courses in top universities. Good luck. :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending