The Student Room Group
Original post by samuel303
Okay so luckily i got onto my BTEC course with a B, was taking a look at all the league tables and some require a B in maths, was just wondering,does anybody know the cost of retaking for a B? also, is there any support in paying for the costs through government or otherwise as i do not know

many thanks!

If you have already achieved a C or above there is no financial support to try and get higher.
The exam fee from edexcel is £32, other examiners are similar.
A centre will usually charge you more than the exam fee to cover the costs of admin, Invigilation etc. If you pay to take it at your school or college they won't usually charge much on top, if anything. If you take it as a private candidate elsewhere you can expect to pay £50 or more, I've seen people be quoted £100 at some private centres.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for replying! Sadly at the college they can only put me on the 1 year course to get that higher whuch is over £300!
Reply 3
MY BAD! I dont need to rrsit but retake the whole thing! No idea hoe much this costs or even go about retaking it,19 and dont know who to talk to o.O was edexcel
MY BAD! I dont need to rrsit but retake the whole thing! No idea hoe much this costs or even go about retaking it,19 and dont know who to talk to o.O was edexcel

If you are no longer in education then you will find most local colleges and possibly a council adult learning service who offer part time GCSE maths courses. The cost varies enormously but there may be some fee reductions if you are in receipt of benefits. £300 is not a high price for a 1 year course. You have left it late in the academic year to try for these courses though and you may find they are no longer accepting new students.

Your other option is to study in your own time either just using textbooks and online resources or possibly by purchasing a distance learning package from somewhere like the national extension college (NEC). You would then have to find somewhere to let you take the exams as a private candidate.

If you want to take exams that match what you have already studied then you should act quickly to arrange the resit in November. In summer 2017, maths exams for new students will use a brand new specification with extra topics and new 3-paper exam format that would take a fair amount of work to prepare for. New grades, 9-1, will be awarded instead of the current A*-G. The examiners will set a last resit paper for your old specification in summer 2017 but it may be hard to find somewhere to take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks for replying :smile:

So is next summer my last chance?
Thanks for replying :smile:

So is next summer my last chance?

Yes it is the last chance to resit the current specification. You can of course sit the new gcse specification that has its first exams in summer 2017 at any time in the future but you would need to do some practice with the new style of papers and the slightly tougher style of questions they are using.
(edited 7 years ago)
Had to pay £175 admin fee for maths gcse retake. A lot when on Universal Credit.
Original post by Sunflower71
Had to pay £175 admin fee for maths gcse retake. A lot when on Universal Credit.

This thread is over five years old - please don't revive old threads by posting in them. Start a new thread if you'd like to start the conversation again, as you will get more, and better responses that way.

@Wilykit - would you mind closing this for me? Thanks :smile:

Latest