The Student Room Group

A level Source Help Weimar Germany

From a speech written by Hugo Preuss, the liberal lawyer who headed the cmmission that drew up the constitution to the Weimar Assembly, 1919 April

"I have often listened to the debates with real concern, glancing often rather timidly to the gentlemen of the Right, fearful lest they say to me: 'Do you hope to give a Parliamentary system to a nation ike this, one that resists it with every sinew in it's body? Our people do not comprehend at all what such a system implies' One finds suspicion everywhere; Germans cannot shake off their old political timidity and their deference to the authoritarian state."

How valuable would you say this source is in explaining the impact of the new Weimar constitution in Germany?
Reply 1
Original post by tabbyglitter
From a speech written by Hugo Preuss, the liberal lawyer who headed the cmmission that drew up the constitution to the Weimar Assembly, 1919 April

"I have often listened to the debates with real concern, glancing often rather timidly to the gentlemen of the Right, fearful lest they say to me: 'Do you hope to give a Parliamentary system to a nation ike this, one that resists it with every sinew in it's body? Our people do not comprehend at all what such a system implies' One finds suspicion everywhere; Germans cannot shake off their old political timidity and their deference to the authoritarian state."

How valuable would you say this source is in explaining the impact of the new Weimar constitution in Germany?

Not really valuable because it's only talking about what those on the right of the political spectrum would think of the WC. Many would accept it, especially those in the industrial and urban areas (such as the Ruhr and Berlin). It's also only talking about the impact on opinion and not something (arguably more important) such as political stability.

Quick Reply