The Student Room Group

Taking an AS Level in Year 13?

One of the minimum requirements for the course I want to do at uni is "an A at GCSE in a language other than English" but I got a B, so I've taken up AS French on the premise that an AS outweighs a GCSE.

But, I don't know how to tell universities about this... I won't have a predicted grade until after mock exams in December but my application has to be sent around November. Similarly, I don't have a reference from my teacher because I've only just started...

Should I put it on my UCAS application as pending? or should I slip it into my personal statement? What should I do?
Reply 1
Original post by moonfxce
One of the minimum requirements for the course I want to do at uni is "an A at GCSE in a language other than English" but I got a B, so I've taken up AS French on the premise that an AS outweighs a GCSE.

But, I don't know how to tell universities about this... I won't have a predicted grade until after mock exams in December but my application has to be sent around November. Similarly, I don't have a reference from my teacher because I've only just started...

Should I put it on my UCAS application as pending? or should I slip it into my personal statement? What should I do?

You need to include it in the education section as pending. Your referee can then explain why you don't have a predicted grade yet.

But you need to check if the AS will be suitable. The content for GCSE and As is very different, so if they're asking for the GCSE for a specific reason then the As might not be suitable. It's not just as simple as the AS is a higher qualification.
Reply 2
Original post by moonfxce
I won't have a predicted grade until after mock exams in December but my application has to be sent around November. Similarly, I don't have a reference from my teacher because I've only just s

Your application doesn't need to be in until 15th Jan

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
You application doesn't need to be in until 15th Jan

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,
Sorry, slightly unrelated but basically im planning on taking AS additional further maths this year... however I might not do it.. it just depends on the pace at which I work ... I havent added it to my UCAS because I don't even know if I'll do it, should I mention it?
Reply 4
Original post by Someboady
Hi,
Sorry, slightly unrelated but basically im planning on taking AS additional further maths this year... however I might not do it.. it just depends on the pace at which I work ... I havent added it to my UCAS because I don't even know if I'll do it, should I mention it?

You can add it later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
You can add it later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you mean? I'm due to send off my application next week? Would I add it after I've received offers? I figured it might help my applications because it shows additional interest in maths?
Reply 6
How do you mean? I'm due to send off my application next week? Would I add it after I've received offers? I figured it might help my applications because it shows additional interest in maths?

Well if you want it to benefit your application then you need to add it before sending the form.

And then you are committing yourself to taking the exam, unless you later contact your offers and ask permission to cancel the exam. Which they might not agree to.
Original post by jneill
Well if you want it to benefit your application then you need to add it before sending the form.

And then you are committing yourself to taking the exam, unless you later contact your offers and ask permission to cancel the exam. Which they might not agree to.

But what if that AS level makes up no part of their offer?
Reply 8
But what if that AS level makes up no part of their offer?

Doesn't matter - it was still part of your application. You can't unilaterally change the terms of your application.
You can't just assume that your plan will work and they won't mind that you haven't met the essential requirements. You need to email them to check that what you're proposing is acceptable, else you'll get a straight rejection because you haven't met the GCSE requirements.
Hi There,

Speaking from the Universities point of view I can say that this is a fairly common occurrence. If you do not quite meet the essential requirements listed but you have 'alternatives' you will almost always be considered BUT you should never assume that this is the case. A quick phone call to the relevant admissions department is all you need. Explain your circumstances. We're people too!

Quick Reply