The Student Room Group

Year 10 thinking about what a levels to pick for medicine

Hi there guys I am a boy in year 10 and I have been thinking about what a-levels i want to do. I want to study medicine in ucl and I have come up with 4 a-levels so far

- Biology
- Chemistry
- History
- French

I am pretty good at history and I have heard a language in a level is good. Are these choices good?

Original post by ramaaub
Hi there guys I am a boy in year 10 and I have been thinking about what a-levels i want to do. I want to study medicine in ucl and I have come up with 4 a-levels so far

- Biology
- Chemistry
- History
- French

I am pretty good at history and I have heard a language in a level is good. Are these choices good?

It's good to choose maths/physics too. I'm planning to do medicine too and year 11 :smile: I'm taking Biology, Chemistry,Maths and Economics. If you want type up on google what gcse's are needed to do Medicine.
Biology, Chemistry and two other subjects will set you up well edit: forgot there's no AS levels now. Three would also be fine.

No university except Cambridge expresses any desire for maths or physics.

No university at all expresses a desire for a language, so only do that if that's what you want to do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nisha.sri
It's good to choose maths/physics too.

Why's that then?
Original post by Democracy
Why's that then?

So more doors are open for medicine school. That's why :smile:
If you don't do Maths/Physics then less doors are open, you can search it up if you don't believe me :smile:
So more doors are open for medicine school. That's why :smile:
If you don't do Maths/Physics then less doors are open, you can search it up if you don't believe me :smile:

Apart from Cambridge, which doors are opened?

That wasn't the answer to the question I asked you :wink:
That wasn't the answer to the question I asked you :wink:

So, you want me to list every single one of them.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement

Tbh, I don't have time for that but look at the link above . It's very well listed :smile:
So, you want me to list every single one of them.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15863-medical-school-a-level-requirement

Tbh, I don't have time for that but look at the link above . It's very well listed :smile:

That would be a very short list indeed considering the only medical school on it would be Cambridge.
Why's that then?

People may decide medicine isn't for them during sixth form, taking maths means they are not restricted by any degrees involving numbers.

So degrees like chemistry and economics are still possible.
Original post by ramaaub

- Biology
- Chemistry
- History
- French

Yeah they're fine.

(I wouldn't say a language is any better than any other A Level, by the way.)
That would be a very short list indeed considering the only medical school on it would be Cambridge.

Fine to be honest it's better to do Maths/Physics - well that's what i think
yeah they're perfectly fine.
Are you sure you want to do 4 even with the reformed A Levels?
Reply 14
Original post by surina16
yeah they're perfectly fine.
Are you sure you want to do 4 even with the reformed A Levels?

Honestly I have no idea :/
Original post by ramaaub
Honestly I have no idea :/

Ah okay - you have a year to think about it so don't worry :biggrin:
I'm in year 11 so by the time you make that decision, I'll be mostly done with year 12 and will tell you if 4 is too much :tongue:
Most people are taking 3 A Levels this year (I'm doing 4, but the 4th is further maths which is why it is considered to be 'less work than 4 other a levels') and I presume it will be the same for your year too :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by surina16
Ah okay - you have a year to think about it so don't worry :biggrin:
I'm in year 11 so by the time you make that decision, I'll be mostly done with year 12 and will tell you if 4 is too much :tongue:
Most people are taking 3 A Levels this year (I'm doing 4, but the 4th is further maths which is why it is considered to be 'less work than 4 other a levels':wink: and I presume it will be the same for your year too :smile:

Hey! :biggrin: I completely forgot about this thread, how is it going? What do you think about the 4 a levels?
Original post by ramaaub
Hey! :biggrin: I completely forgot about this thread, how is it going? What do you think about the 4 a levels?

Focus on your GCSEs and also get some work experience, you need to find out if its for you, my friend who got 11 A*s did WE and after that didn't want to do it anymore.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending