The Student Room Group

Access course assignment

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Craig Beardsley
Really, wow

How did you do on your first assignment.

I am dreading my first assignment, as i never ever done one before

It was okay, it was an ungraded one so that made it easier! I had to research an and do present a piece on T.S. Eliot. Do you know what your first assignment will be yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KMLeeson
That sounds nicer than mine, I have to compare three cultural theories, so absolutism, relativism and soft relativism! Seeming that I didn't even know what sociology was a week ago, this is going to be fun! Fancy swapping? 😝

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this your first assignment from the course and is it graded?
It was okay, it was an ungraded one so that made it easier! I had to research an and do present a piece on T.S. Eliot. Do you know what your first assignment will be yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not 100% sure!

At the moment in sociology we are studying karl marx theorys and we, as a group have to present a presentation about karl marx Religon, which is pretty boring tbh.

What are you studying?
Is this your first assignment from the course and is it graded?

No, but it's my first for sociology and yes it's graded! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not 100% sure!

At the moment in sociology we are studying karl marx theorys and we, as a group have to present a presentation about karl marx Religon, which is pretty boring tbh.

What are you studying?

Is that graded?

I'm doing English Lit and Lang, History, Sociology and Creative Writing! I currently have 5 essays and presentations assigned so they've really thrown us in! I've listed all the pieces off coursework, drama pieces and presentations we have to complete by the end of May and it's just over 40 I think! 😦

Posted from TSR Mobile
That sounds nicer than mine, I have to compare three cultural theories, so absolutism, relativism and soft relativism! Seeming that I didn't even know what sociology was a week ago, this is going to be fun! Fancy swapping? 😝

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha strange because that was our first criminology assignment!
Original post by rebeccabyrne91
Haha strange because that was our first criminology assignment!

Ahh, we're not doing criminology so I suppose it all has to fit under the sociology umbrella! I have no idea where I'm going to find sources for it though, fingers crossed it'll be okay! How did you find it? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I know what you re saying and thank you for ypur support!

I have attended every lesson so far but having trouble of understanding every lesson. I am studying access to social work so i am studying; sociology, psychology, law, criminolgy, health and sociol care. Plus maths 5 hours of maths.

So i am starting to feel the pressure. I have dyselxia and i struggle reading it takes me so long to read a paragraph to another student. At the minute we are studying karl marx theory on religion and we have to present a presentation to the class next week. Now i have been researching the topic and dont quite get it context from the books and now i am really starting to self doubt my self and labelling myself on what others have labelled me in the past and present as THICK" and now, i guess i am self full filling prohescy.

Do they know you are dyslexic and are you getting any support ?
Talk to the disabiliyu support team. If you intend to go to uni then you are going to have to figure out a way to adapt and overcome the difficulties your disability poses for your studies. People do succeed and yo have to find out how.

You cna learn about mark by using youtube and look for documentaries. That might bypass the need to read.
Original post by 999tigger
Do they know you are dyslexic and are you getting any support ?
Talk to the disabiliyu support team. If you intend to go to uni then you are going to have to figure out a way to adapt and overcome the difficulties your disability poses for your studies. People do succeed and yo have to find out how.

You cna learn about mark by using youtube and look for documentaries. That might bypass the need to read.

Yes, they do know but they really havent gave me much to work with. I have been looking at youtube and its very useful. Tbh i am not sure education is for me. I am evaluating my situation over this weekend and i may leave.

Thank you for your reply
Is that graded?

I'm doing English Lit and Lang, History, Sociology and Creative Writing! I currently have 5 essays and presentations assigned so they've really thrown us in! I've listed all the pieces off coursework, drama pieces and presentations we have to complete by the end of May and it's just over 40 I think! 😦

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mines not graded, its just a practise piece.

Not too sure when i will be getting our first piece of coursework but tbh i dont think il be at the college to get it, as i may quit.
Reply 30
We have been given our first study skills assignment but it looks as though all our study skills assignments will be done in class. We have not started that assignment yet. Its Note taking, looks pretty basic.
We've had no assignments on any subjects yet.
Im doing access to Science. It looks as though they are teaching us the whole subject first before giving us assignments around week 5, and then we will have a lot of assignments to hand in around the same time in november.
Very worried Im not going to be able to reach those distinctions. Im already really struggling with Physics but Im giving this my best shot.
Ahh, we're not doing criminology so I suppose it all has to fit under the sociology umbrella! I have no idea where I'm going to find sources for it though, fingers crossed it'll be okay! How did you find it? :smile:

Well it's strange because I found the sociology books more help than the criminology ones that I got! I found it pretty easy tbh once I got the swing of things, and got a distiniction in my final piece :smile: Let me know if you're struggling with anything :smile:
Original post by rebeccabyrne91
Well it's strange because I found the sociology books more help than the criminology ones that I got! I found it pretty easy tbh once I got the swing of things, and got a distiniction in my final piece :smile: Let me know if you're struggling with anything :smile:

They're all very interlaced aren't they?!
Thank you lovely, I may have to take you up on that! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mines not graded, its just a practise piece.

Not too sure when i will be getting our first piece of coursework but tbh i dont think il be at the college to get it, as i may quit.

Why do you want to quit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do you want to quit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like i am the weakest link in our group. Struggling with psychology massively. When the going gets tuff, i tend to walk away.
I feel like i am the weakest link in our group. Struggling with psychology massively. When the going gets tuff, i tend to walk away.

Maybe you just lack a bit of self esteem and confidence. Was the access course too big a jump?
Talk to an advisor and if you do quit, then maybe just suspend your studies and do some less demanding subjects so you cna get used to studying again, then come back to it at a later date?

You shouldnt give in but I understand if you find it a litle disheartneing. Dyslexic students do go on to finsish the course and then University, but obviously they are not all the same. Ot must have been a big step and you had a lot of hope attached to the access course. Imo dont give up in it or yourself. It just takes a bit of time to acquire the skills that you havent used or never learned, but others have never stopped using.
They're all very interlaced aren't they?!
Thank you lovely, I may have to take you up on that! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

no problem x
Maybe you just lack a bit of self esteem and confidence. Was the access course too big a jump?
Talk to an advisor and if you do quit, then maybe just suspend your studies and do some less demanding subjects so you cna get used to studying again, then come back to it at a later date?

You shouldnt give in but I understand if you find it a litle disheartneing. Dyslexic students do go on to finsish the course and then University, but obviously they are not all the same. Ot must have been a big step and you had a lot of hope attached to the access course. Imo dont give up in it or yourself. It just takes a bit of time to acquire the skills that you havent used or never learned, but others have never stopped using.

I am a mature student of 33 years old. I was 17 years out of education and when i was at school I never paid any attention at all. Last year I wanted to do something worth while in my life, so I took the plunged and went to a learning centre and from there I learned the basics from level entry 3, to functional skills level 1 and 2 in maths and english. Last september I studied an pre- access GCSE maths, english and sociolgy. I manged to get a C in english ( A in my 9/11 coursework) D in maths (10 marks off a C) sociology E. So next up for is an access course but also I am studying gcse maths 5 hours extra a week, along side the Access course.Quite demanding really.

I did an assignment at the start of the course and i manged to get feedback from my lecturer and by my surprise it was posative.

I am dreading my first assignment though. Maybe I should just wait and see over the next couple of weeks or so, before making a rash decision.

Thank you!
I am a mature student of 33 years old. I was 17 years out of education and when i was at school I never paid any attention at all. Last year I wanted to do something worth while in my life, so I took the plunged and went to a learning centre and from there I learned the basics from level entry 3, to functional skills level 1 and 2 in maths and english. Last september I studied an pre- access GCSE maths, english and sociolgy. I manged to get a C in english ( A in my 9/11 coursework) D in maths (10 marks off a C) sociology E. So next up for is an access course but also I am studying gcse maths 5 hours extra a week, along side the Access course.Quite demanding really.

I did an assignment at the start of the course and i manged to get feedback from my lecturer and by my surprise it was posative.

I am dreading my first assignment though. Maybe I should just wait and see over the next couple of weeks or so, before making a rash decision.

Thank you!

It sounds as though you are overly pessimistic and should have more confidence in your own abilities. Just an assignment.
Understand the question.
Do the research.
Plan your answer.
Write a draft.
Rewrite it and proof.

You just beed to know based on your sydlexia what support or gow others manage to deal with it.
It sounds as though you are overly pessimistic and should have more confidence in your own abilities. Just an assignment.
Understand the question.
Do the research.
Plan your answer.
Write a draft.
Rewrite it and proof.

You just beed to know based on your sydlexia what support or gow others manage to deal with it.

Maybe your are right. I have no confidence in my ability whats so ever. Maybe that is down to the negative labelling that i have recieved over the last year or so.

Thank you for all your responce, very kind!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending