The Student Room Group

Recording Uni Lectures

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Chochiana
So when do exams and projects and coursework start, let's just say when do lecturers start grading students? Will it be calm and relaxing until after the Christmas Holidays or would I have had few assignments by then?

Completely depends on the course, but it's more likely that assignments will kick off in some way during the first term/semester.

I had my first two assignments set in the second week of my course, for hand-in before Christmas. I also had three assignment briefs handed out before Christmas for hand-in after Christmas, so I did quite a bit of work over the Christmas break. At that point, my course only had exams once a year, in May. However they now have two shorter exam periods in January and May, which means additional revision over the Christmas break.
Original post by RVNmax
People overestimate what they can actually do at the same time (multitask).

It would only take longer because you are doing it properly this time, imo. It used too take me around 2-3 times as long as the original recording if I didn't go to the original lecture. If you get value out of the original lecture then you can knock 1 off.

Even with a transcription foot pedal, full transcription takes min. 3 times as long. And then there's the whole issue of time coding, so that you locate specific text. Total waste of time.
Reply 62
Original post by DrSocSciences
Even with a transcription foot pedal, full transcription takes min. 3 times as long. And then there's the whole issue of time coding, so that you locate specific text. Total waste of time.

I got A grades that way. Yep, a waste of time, for sure. I spent 14 hours per 2 hours. That's what's called dedication.
Original post by 571122
I got A grades that way. Yep, a waste of time, for sure. I spent 14 hours per 2 hours. That's what's called dedication.

Plenty of other people, who were equally dedicated, achieved A grades without recourse to this hugely inefficient methodology.

Imagine if you had spent those additional 12-14 hours considering and researching how to respond to the issues raised in the original lecture, - which you could have done, with a decent set of lecture notes. In prioritising the 100% capture of the lecture, you forfeit so much more. And if you had misunderstood any element, you could have sought clarification from your lecturer, which would have taken less time than 12-14 hours. Perhaps that's the difference between undergrad insecurity, and more engaged learning at postgrad level.
(edited 7 years ago)
I used to, I asked the professor and he seemed really excited someone was actually interested in his lectures...
All of it would be relevant, otherwise why would it be told :smile:
When I was at school, our lessons were not lectures, and even then on the odd occasion where we were made to copy off the board, I used to try and avoid it as I knew that I was never going to read that again. Rather I used to take time to understand it at that point. If it was too rushed for me to understand then it would have been to rushed for me to copy which was a fault of the teacher for not using the time better, i.e. running through it with us and making the source of the material available to us so we could learn from it in our own time or spend more time on that in class.
By the time we got to 6th form, we were allowed to take pictures of the board :smile:, although I wasn't one of those people because by that time I realised the school powerpoints were dire and the material found online or in the school textbook was far more useful.

At my first uni, things were different. The material was a lot tougher to understand (impossible within the lecture) and find good educational sources online. I did really well in the modules with recorded online lectures and good online notes and not so good in the modules with the backward lecturers, still relying on students to take notes however they could within the lecture.
At my second uni, lectures were ONLY online recordings and classroom based lessons only consisted of seminars. To be honest it doesn't take a genius to work out that this is the more efficient way. Going to a lecture is just pointless, but watching recordings you can pause it and at any point and do whatever you need to do to understand the material, whether rewind it a bit or quickly research that section of the material in between, or if need be, make quality notes at the same time as understanding it. Any questions you need to ask are for the seminar; it's not as if any questions get asked at usual lectures anyway. I wouldn't even call this extremely progressive really, there are just way too many universities stuck in the past.

If you are handed good quality lecture notes then that's good. However if that is all that is required then there is no use of a lecture is there? Although obviously watching/listening to a lecture might suit visual/auditory type learners. Although sometimes the case, a lot of lecturers don't provide quality notes, in which case, a recording would of course help students to re-run either the things they didn't understand at the time or to add to the notes that were missed.

You missed my point, I take my lecture slides and take my notes alongside that. I do a pretty much theory based course which you're supposed to learn by yourself. I don't have a lot of reading or essays to do either. I do some maths modules and it's impossible to record a maths lecture.

My university doesn't record lectures, we are recommended to take notes or whatever's fits our learning style. If worst comes to worse and my notes aren't that great, I can always just print of the online notes but I don't want to rely on that. I want to make lecture notes myself so I can understand the content.
(edited 7 years ago)
Are we allowed to record lecturers? (I don't openly want ask them just to avoid accidental wrong impressions but most importantly judgmental people, keeping it to myself will be much easier)

Are we allowed mobile phones and laptops out on the tables in the lecture room during lectures?Thank you!

Make sure you put the recording device in the right place i.e. on the table vs next to your bum in case you break wind.
Reply 67
For assignments how many times am I allowed to resubmit my assignment? Are assignments graded pass, merit distinction or in a different way? How many times am I allowed to retake an exam within that year? How are exams graded?
Reply 68
Plenty of other people, who were equally dedicated, achieved A grades without recourse to this hugely inefficient methodology.

Imagine if you had spent those additional 12-14 hours considering and researching how to respond to the issues raised in the original lecture, - which you could have done, with a decent set of lecture notes. In prioritising the 100% capture of the lecture, you forfeit so much more. And if you had misunderstood any element, you could have sought clarification from your lecturer, which would have taken less time than 12-14 hours. Perhaps that's the difference between undergrad insecurity, and more engaged learning at postgrad level.

Nope, whatever I asked my lecturers and whatever response they give me, I never understand, not even if they explain it to me in their simplest terms and it doesn't matter how many times to explain it.

Usually they just explain it once and I still don't get it. I'm not the only one like that, my classmates were like this as well. Oh yeah, sure, we're all geniuses who get everything. No, not really. You have to understand you are a minority and most of us are just human beings, not machines. My best proof is that I went to the dean's office and I asked the board of education as well, and they agreed with me on this! They agreed most students struggle through university and that those who claim they have it easy or have the best study methods are simply liars, and if they are not, they are one in ten thousand students because not everyone is a gifted genius. Their words.

I will re-iterate (as others agree with my previous post, which means they feel the same way): notes are not sufficient, not even if they are the best notes in the world. You must understand how the human brain works.

Lastly, no one, and I repeat, no one, has had the dedication I had at university. I was the hero of my classes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 69
For assignments how many times am I allowed to resubmit my assignment? Are assignments graded pass, merit distinction or in a different way? How many times am I allowed to retake an exam within that year? How are exams graded?

I know this is your thread but you would be better starting a new thread to ask other questions, so this one is kept for info about recording lectures :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 571122
No one, has had the dedication I had at university. I was the hero of my classes.

I'm glad it worked for you. I really am.

For the majority, it's not the most efficient use of their time, as indicated by your own admission that it took 14hrs to transcribe 2hrs worth of content. Capturing the lecture verbatim comes at the heavy cost of using that time to develop your response to that new knowledge.
Reply 71
I'm glad it worked for you. I really am.

For the majority, it's not the most efficient use of their time, as indicated by your own admission that it took 14hrs to transcribe 2hrs worth of content. Capturing the lecture verbatim comes at the heavy cost of using that time to develop your response to that new knowledge.

The cost was giving up any social life outside of university for 6 years. Anyway, I'm going to end my discussion here because I'm going off topic.
Reply 72
Original post by jneill
I know this is your thread but you would be better starting a new thread to ask other questions, so this one is kept for info about recording lectures :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, the reason being is because this thread is active and every question I have is answered pretty fast whereas the other threads I have created are not active and I don't have faith in the other threads and I am literally asking last questions before starting Uni. :smile:
Reply 73
Yes, the reason being is because this thread is active and every question I have is answered pretty fast whereas the other threads I have created are not active and I don't have faith in the other threads and I am literally asking last questions before starting Uni. :smile:

You got plenty of answers to http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4315240
Reply 74

This discussion definitely beats the other one though! :smile: I was hoping for more people to answer my list of questions.
Reply 75
Each uni can set its own rules, marking schemes/grade thresholds. At my current uni:

For assignments how many times am I allowed to resubmit my assignment?

You are usually permitted two attempts at an assessed assignment. If you fail one during the academic year, you are set a different one with a hand-in date during August.

Are assignments graded pass, merit distinction or in a different way?

You are given a percentage. 70+% is a First, 60-69% is a 2:1, 50-59% is a 2:2, 40-49% is a Third, below 40% is a fail. Pass/Merit/Distinction is more usually a Masters-style marking scheme.

How many times am I allowed to retake an exam within that year?

If you fail the first attempt, you can resit it once, during August.

How are exams graded?

The same as assignments, above.
Reply 76
Original post by Klix88
Each uni can set its own rules, marking schemes/grade thresholds. At my current uni:

You are usually permitted two attempts at an assessed assignment. If you fail one during the academic year, you are set a different one with a hand-in date during August.

You are given a percentage. 70+% is a First, 60-69% is a 2:1, 50-59% is a 2:2, 40-49% is a Third, below 40% is a fail. Pass/Merit/Distinction is more usually a Masters-style marking scheme.

Woow this is pretty good actually! I think I can manage 70+%
Reply 77
Woow this is pretty good actually! I think I can manage 70+%

Your uni should have a marking scheme which explains how to get a high mark. Firsts are more likely in STEM subjects where there are right/wrong answers (as long as you can figure out the answers!). Humanities subjects operate around grey areas making high marks a bit more elusive. I'm sure that's a whole 'nother discussion :smile:
Original post by Klix88

Thats the same for us but we have a cap on our resits. If you are resitting the max you can achieve is 40% which if quite cruel of them tbh :frown:
Using mic is fine, the only time you need permission is when you actually want to record using camera, but to be safe I'd ask, it's not that hard and it varies from uni to uni, plus if you do this, you might be able to put your device-whatever that is, on lecturer's desk which I think will give you much better quality

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending