The Student Room Group

Pls help with Kc

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by alow
The water was initially colourless. You said it goes purple, which is more purple than colourless. We don't care about the colour of the solid/liquid (of potassium permanganate or C) we're adding, we care about the colour of the solution which we are adding it to.

Right, okay it does ring some bells in my head. Water does goes more purple as you have put it . But in my question, water is not involved though so I am struggling to see why ....
Reply 21
Original post by coconut64
Right, okay it does ring some bells in my head. Water does goes more purple as you have put it . But in my question, water is not involved though so I am struggling to see why ....

A, B and C are in aqueous solution. AKA dissolved in water.
Reply 22
Original post by alow
A, B and C are in aqueous solution. AKA dissolved in water.

Okay, pls bear with me I am so near to understanding it now. rgeg.png
So 1 is due to the increase of conc of C. 2 is due to the increase in conc of A and B. But still don't get how 3 occurs.
Reply 23
Okay, pls bear with me I am so near to understanding it now. rgeg.png
So 1 is due to the increase of conc of C. 2 is due to the increase in conc of A and B. But still don't get how 3 occurs.

1. Yes, the addition of C immediately makes the blue colour darker.

2. Some of that added C is converted to A and B, lightening the blue colour. [A] and increase.

3. However, for Kc to remain constant, [C] is still higher than before the addition of extra C.
Reply 24
Original post by alow
1. Yes, the addition of C immediately makes the blue colour darker.

2. Some of that added C is converted to A and B, lightening the blue colour. [A] and increase.

3. However, for Kc to remain constant, [C] is still higher than before the addition of extra C.

I think I get it now. So for all reactions, when you increase the conc of a certain chemical, only some of it (not all) will be converted into other chemical? For example c in this question??
Reply 25
I think I get it now. So for all reactions, when you increase the conc of a certain chemical, only some of it (not all) will be converted into other chemical? For example c in this question??

If it's an equilibrium and temperature is constant, yes. Only enough converts to restore the equilibrium.
Reply 26
Original post by alow
If it's an equilibrium and temperature is constant, yes. Only enough converts to restore the equilibrium.

Thanks for helping as always. :smile:
Reply 27
Thanks for helping as always. :smile:

No problem :smile:
@K.C < Thought he was back ^^

Quick Reply

Latest