The Student Room Group

Friend at same university ignoring me?

Background: I have started university this week. I have a good acquaintance who used to go to school with me who is now at the same university as me.

I messaged this girl a few weeks ago offering her help and suggesting maybe to meet up but she did not follow up. So essentially no reply but she KNOWS I am here and is avoiding contacting me.

Anyway, she arrived yesterday and has not contacted me at all, complete silence today on her end.

*Maybe it's me but I would expect if a friend/acquaintance was going to the same university as you that you would maybe contact each other and meet up.. Obviously you don't have to be friends but would it not be manners to at least meet up once? How am I going to pass her now when I bump into her considering she is pretty much ignoring me? Won't it be awkward if she ignores me in passing?

Does anyone have any past experience with friends going to the same university? How did you deal with it? Did they ignore you/pretend you weren't there or did they meet with you?

Thanks*

Scroll to see replies

To be honest she probably didn't like you in school and is using this opportunity to start fresh. You know, you weren't exactly close, she's just not interested
Many people see university as a new life, sometimes it's the first time they are completely free to do what they want. It's not because she dislikes you but more likely it's because she doesn't want to be constrained by pre-existing expectations, reputations and people.
Reply 3
Honestly I did think that she would want to make new friends so only contacted her once but would it not be manners for her to at least say hi and meet up once?*

Am I expecting too much? *
You've been the bigger person and you've tried t reach out to her and that's all you can do. If shes aware of your message and has ignored- that's pretty rude, but that's some people. There's nothing else you can do, just try make your own new friends.
Forget about her. Chances are that you'll meet better people at uni anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by DoodleDee
You've been the bigger person and you've tried t reach out to her and that's all you can do. If shes aware of your message and has ignored- that's pretty rude, but that's some people. There's nothing else you can do, just try make your own new friends.

I know. Just kinda hurt that she is going out of her way and making a conscious decision of avoiding me.

I don't know how this is going to work if I keep seeing her and she ignores me. How rude/awkward is that going to be?*
Original post by Anonymous
I know. Just kinda hurt that she is going out of her way and making a conscious decision of avoiding me.

I don't know how this is going to work if I keep seeing her and she ignores me. How rude/awkward is that going to be?*

It'll be as rude and as awkward as you make it. If and when you see her, maybe smile say hey, have a chat if you can but then carry on with your life.

One thing you'll learn from uni is that not everyone you think is a friend, is actually a friend. You will make 'best' friends in the first term, that by the end of 3/4 years you never ever speak to again. Everyone is trying to find themselves, and people chop and change their personality in 1st and 2nd year so much. This girl probably wants to recreate herself and you, being from her 'past life' is something she wants to leave behind- which is a **** feeling but from how you're feeling about this, you seem like a good friend and she doesn't deserve you as one with the way shes been acting.
lol how about you move on?
Original post by 0to100
lol how about you move on?

Wise words from a wise owl.
Don't dwell too much, I moved to a new school and literally have no friends xD Havin' the time of my lifeeeeee.

Original post by Anonymous
X
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Wise words from a wise owl.
Don't dwell too much, I moved to a new school and literally have no friends xD Havin' the time of my lifeeeeee.

show em pics of hawt actors=)))
it worked with me remember?
Original post by Rhaenys10
show em pics of hawt actors=)))
it worked with me remember?

Hahaha, no way am I doing that. xD Too early for such things, besides I enjoy spending time alone rather than spending it with people I really don't click with. Serenity.
Hahaha, no way am I doing that. xD Too early for such things, besides I enjoy spending time alone rather than spending it with people I really don't click with. Serenity.

was just kidding=))
i get it, but if you do want to make friends, give them food
it works like a charm, i always have some haribos or **** like this with me
was just kidding=))
i get it, but if you do want to make friends, give them food
it works like a charm, i always have some haribos or **** like this with me

xD Thanks for that advice!!! I'll offer some of my food... When I'm not hungry (probably that 1 sec between bites) gonna be a tough thing that is xD
xD Thanks for that advice!!! I'll offer some of my food... When I'm not hungry (probably that 1 sec between bites) gonna be a tough thing that is xD

=)))best of luck anyway.. i'm sure you'll be fine
=)))best of luck anyway.. i'm sure you'll be fine

DANKE!
DANKE!

ooohh german
ooohh german

I studied it at GCSE, makes me a fluent Jerman speaker ROIGHT!?!?!?! :P
I studied it at GCSE, makes me a fluent Jerman speaker ROIGHT!?!?!?! :P

i'm living in ****ing austria right now and i'm studying some **** in german and what i can tell you is...

Spoiler

i'm living in ****ing austria right now and i'm studying some **** in german and what i can tell you is...

Spoiler

Oh ****.
That makes me superior then doesn't it, earning fluency and all when it isn't even that possible FIGHT ME

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending