The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

I'm 24 and studying Zoology at Hull. :smile:
I'm 21 (will be 22 when I start uni) and have just applied to Cambridge, Durham, UCL and Exeter to study English.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Seamus123
Beat you all at 68. Lol

Can I ask did you apply for student finance and have any issues at all?
Yes, I did apply and had no problems.. X
QUOTE=katielouisa1992;67744244]Can I ask did you apply for student finance and have any issues at all?[/QUOTE
What sort of ieeues?
Sorry half asleep. Youngest grandchild is awake for a feed.
Original post by katielouisa1992
Can I ask did you apply for student finance and have any issues at all?

Hi, I just saw your post on another thread just now. I don't get a maintenance loan of any kind. I get my fees paid and that's it, although I do get a Special Support Grant which I started to get last year in my first year based on the fact that I am over 60 and I also have a dependent grandchild. The grant this year has changed to a loan now I believe, but as I was already on the grant, that will continue.
I live on my pension and the Child Benefit for my grandson.
Original post by Seamus123
Hi, I just saw your post on another thread just now. I don't get a maintenance loan of any kind. I get my fees paid and that's it, although I do get a Special Support Grant which I started to get last year in my first year based on the fact that I am over 60 and I also have a dependent grandchild. The grant this year has changed to a loan now I believe, but as I was already on the grant, that will continue.
I live on my pension and the Child Benefit for my grandson.

Thank you for your reply we are trying all the avenues we can both think of but I have started a campaign now which I hope will pick up speed of anyone would be kind enough to sign as there isn't enough help and support towards over 60's education as my mum only has the minimum of £3000 per year to live off.

https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliament-to-stop-age-discrimination-for-over-60-s-learning-and-education?recruiter=346553764&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink
howdy,

i'm 42 and in my second year of a BSc (hons) in building surveying. Ive come to the conclusion that I'm either finally trying to achieve something i've always wanted or i'm having the most boring mid-life crisis ever. :rip:
First of all: I absolute love MUSE!!! You have amazing taste!!

I'm 30+ and I graduated with a Bachelors in Computer Science and previously I graduated with an Associate's degree in Computer Programming from community college.

I'm not sure if I will be returning to education. Perhaps some day for a Masters and later a Doctorate, if I have the time.
Is anyone else on here applying for English?
I am 72.. learning acc. guitar
Just out of curiosity, have you heard of the Japanese man who graduated from university at 96?
Hullo, I'm 25 and I'm a first year Japanese Studies student at Sheffield.

I was a pretty good student in school. Then I went to college and had far more important priorities of a 17 year old than my studies. I kept trying and failing to get some sort of a-level qualification over the years until I eventually saw sense and put it on hold for a few years, where I worked full time, got a partner, a house and a bunch of pets.

I did an access course in humanities at York College (which was bloody excellent) and it was personally very difficult. I needed top marks in everything and I wasn't used to sticking things out and working hard for long periods of time. But the teachers were super supportive, as were my fellow students. And I made it onto the course I'd been trying to get on for years ~ huzzah.

So I currently commute daily from my home to uni, it's an hours train ride and I really regret not learning to drive when I was younger. (see above, 17 year old with wrong priorities)
It's also weird to be with people who aren't really TOO much younger than me but feel light years away in terms of maturity. Some of them have never been shopping for themselves before or even had a job. It's strange thinking of myself as the oldest, as I'm the youngest of my family and all my friends!

Anyway I've struggled a hella lot so feel free to hit me up if you wanna vent or need to hear stories about someone who has ****ed up worse than you but still made it :smile:
Original post by Livvyxo
Hullo, I'm 25 and I'm a first year Japanese Studies student at Sheffield.

Yay someone else my age! Hajimemashite :tongue: Congrats on actually making it to uni! I've still got another 10 months til I even start a-levels...
I'll be 22 doing Law! :biggrin:
17 and applying to ECA, GSA, Edinburgh Napier and Dundee!
Original post by AmeliaLost
Yay someone else my age! Hajimemashite :tongue: Congrats on actually making it to uni! I've still got another 10 months til I even start a-levels...

I'm freaking out about graduating when I'm more or less 30 lol
Also nice avatar, I don't watch anime much but I love azumanga diaoh!
Original post by Livvyxo
I'm freaking out about graduating when I'm more or less 30 lol
Also nice avatar, I don't watch anime much but I love azumanga diaoh!

Ahaha don't. I'm hoping to do the masters/PhD route afterwards too, presuming I take to studying again, so will be 35ish when I get to be a normal person again :|

You are the first person to comment on my avatar <3 I set my dad's google image to the dad-cat too. May have been a little obsessed with that show for a while..
I am 23 and applying for 2017 entry so will be 24 when I (hopefully!) start. Hoping to do Psychology, Psychology and Criminology or Forensic Psychology at either MMU or Salford, still undecided! I will be living at home and commuting (as I live kind of local to the universities) How does everyone find uni life as a 'mature student'? Do you find you miss out on a lot if you're not of similar ages and don't live on campus?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending