The Student Room Group

I'm stuck between 6th form and apprenticeship

I want to earn and learn at the same time to support myself as well as my family. Is this possible? Studying for A-Levels and working as an apprentice at the same time? Is it true that an apprentice can earn up to 300 pounds a week (btw, my friend said that she knows someone who does). Thanks x
Original post by ShiawaseNekox3
I want to earn and learn at the same time to support myself as well as my family. Is this possible? Studying for A-Levels and working as an apprentice at the same time? Is it true that an apprentice can earn up to 300 pounds a week (btw, my friend said that she knows someone who does). Thanks x

Do A-Levels and go for a higher apprenticeships.

The apprenticeships after GCSEs are generally shite and often just badly paid jobs that don't give you any good training or qualifications.
Original post by popcornjpg
Do A-Levels and go for a higher apprenticeships.

The apprenticeships after GCSEs are generally shite and often just badly paid jobs that don't give you any good training or qualifications.

So, I can do apprenticeship (I know there are 3 levels: intermediate, advanced and higher) after A-Levels then?
So, I can do apprenticeship (I know there are 3 levels: intermediate, advanced and higher) after A-Levels then?

Yes. The higher ones are only open to those who've taken A-Levels so I would advise going to sixth-form. Like I said, most intermediate and advanced apprenticeships are bad and don't lead to anything. Some of them are just badly paid low-skilled jobs. The best higher apprenticeships, in my opinion, are the accounting ones. You don't need a degree and you can become a fully qualified accountant by training for the ACA. Others are not as good because they generally require extensive knowledge. I think there are some for engineering as well, but I don't know much about them. Plus, A-Levels give you more time to think. You might changed your mind and want to go to university. At first I was all about apprenticeships but now that I'm in Year 13 I think I want to go to university to study what I enjoy. I'm not bothered about the debt, so I think another 3 years before starting work would be nice. Because really, higher apprenticeships for accounting are good but don't expect to love or enjoy what you do. It's really just about the money. If you're in London, you can start at £26k per year at some accounting firms.
how can you be stuck between those two. Sixth form is clearly the best option. go to sixth form. go to a uni. get a job. earn 10x more money than in an apprenticeship. btw money should not be a major part of getting a job.
Reply 5
+ be in debt and struggle to get a job
Original post by WurfWurf
+ be in debt and struggle to get a job

its not that hard to get a graduate position after uni tho. you'd have to be really bad at the process, lacking in confidence or in general; just lacking social skills not to get one
Reply 7
Original post by popcornjpg
its not that hard to get a graduate position after uni tho. you'd have to be really bad at the process, lacking in confidence or in general; just lacking social skills not to get one

Lol. Not like its been all over the news that graduates are struggling to get jobs.
Original post by WurfWurf
Lol. Not like its been all over the news that graduates are struggling to get jobs.

no man. it's really not that hard. a lot of the students I met at open days and taster courses just said they didn't think about careers until like the end of the second year, and some of them were doing masters because they didnt know what to do.

if you do some internships and apply to lots of graduate schemes early i dont see how one wouldn't be able to get a job.

i'm in year 13 and i already have experience at two accounting firms, applying to more programmes for this summer. most people just dont really apply themself to the process properly
Reply 9

You cant do an apprenticeship and go to sixthform at the same time sorry. It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to do something like IT/Engineering etc then theres no point in doing alevels. Dont be afraid to do something different just cause everyone says do alevels then universtity x

Quick Reply

Latest