The Student Room Group

To people who believe in God, could you answer my questions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by champ_mc99
Thanks bro. :yy:

how come you only have a sarcastic, defensive quip as a response? why not something logical to back up your position of "censoring debate is good"?
Original post by iThrow
it's not though. how come there's never a case of something concrete like an amputee growing a leg back? how come it is always something extremely vague like this ?

Good question :tongue: one which I cannot answer. I'd stick with what what I said about thinking about it twice and going well... hmm... but yeah, agreed that it is vague and easy to conclude (rightly or wrongly.. who knows) that it's coincidental or there is some logical explanation (that might never be possible in the situation you described) that is obscure or unknown.
Original post by Kraixo
?

My bad I should have quoted the only bit relevant on answering your question, I think you confused your self by skim reading.

"that which was revealed to the two angels at Babylon, Harut and Marut. But the two angels do not teach anyone unless they say, "We are a trial, so do not disbelieve [by practicing magic]." And [yet] they learn from them that by which they cause separation between a man and his wife. But they do not harm anyone through it except by permission of Allah . And the people learn what harms them and does not benefit them. But the Children of Israel certainly knew that whoever purchased the magic would not have in the Hereafter any share. And wretched is that for which they sold themselves, if they only knew. "This is the relevant bit.

Magic doesnt exist.That is a primitive belief left over from when we couldnt explain anything.Have you ever seen magic? Demons dont exist neither do angels nor satan.That is fiction.Not real.Witches also dont exist btw.Seriously how can you believe this stuff.Where is the evidence for any of it?
I'm open to a deistic god.
Original post by iThrow
how come you only have a sarcastic, defensive quip as a response? why not something logical to back up your position of "censoring debate is good"?

Well I can claim that was a "logical" fallacy ^^^

Erm... OP didn't want debate. Decided to help her out.
Reply 65
Well I can claim that was a "logical" fallacy ^^^

Erm... OP didn't want debate. Decided to help her out.

well good for you mr white knight. unfortunately for you the opinion of the OP is not above debate, especially when in the opening paragraph they acknowledge they cannot dispell any debate.
Original post by iThrow
well good for you mr white knight. unfortunately for you the opinion of the OP is not above debate, especially when in the opening paragraph they acknowledge they cannot dispell any debate.

Ahh yeah good point.
Original post by iThrow

Ahh yeah good point.

A respectful debate is fine.

Ignorance and insults is not, which is what people on TSR seem to think constitutes to a real debate.

Actually Idek why I ask questions like this on this forum, people like you are far to immature to respond properly.
Not gonna read the rest of this thread or bother staying around because this thread will inevitably descend into nastiness (if it hasn't already). If someone wants to quibble with me or ask further questions, quote me and I will reply at leisure :wink:

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

So I want to ask anyone who believes in God:

1)What religion do you belong to?

Roman Catholicism (the liberal/so-called "cafeteria"/"pick 'n' mix" end) :jebus:

2)Have you "experienced" God in any way, shape or form?

I consider myself to have, yes, but still discerning exactly what happened, haha :beard:

3)What was your experience?

It's really difficult to explain - I can't entirely put it into words (which doesn't help with discerning what happened, lol :facepalm: ) because a lot of it was wordless. I guess the key things that one can pinpoint are that, between 2009-2010:

- God spoke to me and asked me to do something for Him (interior locution)
- God answered some of my questions about aspects of the New Testament story (like 10-15 years after I first asked the questions lol :tongue: )
- God protected me during a suicide attempt (though one can - quite rightly - ask why God let me end up in that state in the first place. It's a question I ask myself/Him all the time :yes: )
- The Virgin Mary talked to me when I was on pilgrimage in Lourdes (interior locution)

Separate to all this, at some point in 2011, St Therese of Lisieux was in my room (I could sense her presence) and when I was about 13 years old, Jesus was in my bed once (long story, not as dodgy as it sounds :tongue: ) :biggrin:

4)Do you believe you will meet/experience God one day?

Spoiler

I long to meet/experience God again in my lifetime but I am slowly (and bitterly) coming to the conclusion that it may never happen again. It's a very painful and isolating thought :sadnod:

I do not believe in a conventional Heaven but I do hope that after I die, I will find my resting place in/with God :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Robby2312
Ridiculous beliefs dont deserve respect.It comes down to your mum seeing bad doctors or good doctors who were wrong and an old lady giving her fruit.That is hardly evidence for a supernatural diety much less the particular one present in the sikh religion.Its not unusual that an old lady seeing your mothers distress would give her fruit if she knew what it was supposed to do.As for there being two fruits maybe your mother simply took it as a sign and so didnt want to try for a third child.

Sikhism isn't a ridiculous belief, you shouldn't be disgustingly disrespectful

and I'll be serious about this, "Its not unusual that an old lady seeing your mothers distress"- this is impossible, around 100,000 to 300,000 people visit DAILY. You don't even get a chance to look at someones face, it's extremely crowded. Which explains why my mum didn't turn around.

Spoiler

Reply 70
A respectful debate is fine.

Ignorance and insults is not, which is what people on TSR seem to think constitutes to a real debate.

Actually Idek why I ask questions like this on this forum, people like you are far to immature to respond properly.

well the fact is if you bring stories of your mother's miraculous conceptions (after being told she is barren) at the hands of some sikhs and their magical berry tree then you can expect some pretty strong resistance. my intention was not to insult you though - more just to point out the ridiculousness of the story which in fairness is insulting that you expect rational people to go along with it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Not gonna read the rest of this thread or bother staying around because this thread will inevitably descend into nastiness (if it hasn't already). If someone wants to quibble with me or ask further questions, quote me and I will reply at leisure :wink:

Roman Catholicism (the liberal/so-called "cafeteria"/"pick 'n' mix" end) :jebus:

I consider myself to have, yes, but still discerning exactly what happened, haha :beard:

It's really difficult to explain - I can't entirely put it into words (which doesn't help with discerning what happened, lol :facepalm: ) because a lot of it was wordless. I guess the key things that one can pinpoint are that, between 2009-2010:

- God spoke to me and asked me to do something for Him (interior locution)
- God answered some of my questions about aspects of the New Testament story (like 10-15 years after I first asked the questions lol :tongue: )
- God protected me during a suicide attempt (though one can - quite rightly - ask why God let me end up in that state in the first place. It's a question I ask myself/Him all the time :yes: )
- The Virgin Mary talked to me when I was on pilgrimage in Lourdes (interior locution)

Separate to all this, at some point in 2011, St Therese of Lisieux was in my room (I could sense her presence) and when I was about 13 years old, Jesus was in my bed once (long story, not as dodgy as it sounds :tongue: ) :biggrin:

I long to meet/experience God again in my lifetime but I am slowly (and bitterly) coming to the conclusion that it may never happen again. It's a very painful and isolating thought :sadnod:

I do not believe in a conventional Heaven but I do hope that after I die, I will find my resting place in/with God :h:

Thank you so much! :h:

It's always nasty, I do wonder why people here are so intolerant of others belief systems :colonhash:
Thank you so much! :h:

It's always nasty, I do wonder why people here are so intolerant of others belief systems :colonhash:

Yeah it's a real shame that people (on both sides) get so virtriolic. Detracts from what are otherwise interesting and valid points/questions and just makes people look like complete noobfaces :sadnod:
Original post by iThrow
well the fact is if you bring stories of your mother's miraculous conceptions (after being told she is barren) at the hands of some sikhs and their magical berry tree then you can expect some pretty strong resistance. my intention was not to insult you though - more just to point out the ridiculousness of the story which in fairness is insulting that you expect rational people to go along with it.

it's insulting to call it "magical". I've told you almost 3 times now, sikh's don't believe in magic. That is insulting.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Yeah it's a real shame that people (on both sides) get so virtriolic. Detracts from what are otherwise interesting and valid points/questions and just makes people look like complete noobfaces :sadnod:

Can I ask does the voice of God sound different from a thought or another humans voice? :colondollar:
Sikhism isn't a ridiculous belief, you shouldn't be disgustingly disrespectful

and I'll be serious about this, "Its not unusual that an old lady seeing your mothers distress"- this is impossible, around 100,000 to 300,000 people visit DAILY. You don't even get a chance to look at someones face, it's extremely crowded. Which explains why my mum didn't turn around.

Spoiler

I can be disrespectful to your beliefs if I want to be.Beliefs dont have an automatic right to respect.People have a right to be respected belief systems dont.A nd yes sikhism is a ridiculous belief.You are not being serious about this.You just said it is impossible that an old woman could see your mothers distress because it was crowded.But apparently its perfectly possible for a supernatural diety to appear in there.No god has ever been proven to exist.Old women I see with regularity.Its much more likely that you're old woman was simply an old woman.No magic or superstition needed.
Reply 76
it's insulting to call it "magical". I've told you almost 3 times now, sikh's don't believe in magic. That is insulting.

trust me they do, you just don't like hearing such a crushing demolition of concepts you hold dear. you can either go back to your soft cuccoon of your religion/cult where you won't ever progress in life but there won't be big meanies like me pointing out where you're being silly or take a step out into the real world and see things for what they are.
Can I ask does the voice of God sound different from a thought or another humans voice? :colondollar:

It does, somehow. Like, I knew it was God talking and not another religious figure/another part of the Trinity (I've had someone purporting to be Jesus speak to me before, and obviously there is the Holy Spirit in Christianity, as well as other religious figures mentioned in my post). And I knew it was God, and not my thoughts/imagination/another human's voice. It sounds terribly corney/cringey/like some happy clappy Christian crap, but when God genuinely speaks to you, you just know.
That said: this was basically me when God spoke to me: :eek: :headfire: :eek4: :hide: :afraid: :ahhhhh: :ninja:
Original post by iThrow
trust me they do, you just don't like hearing such a crushing demolition of concepts you hold dear. you can either go back to your soft cuccoon of your religion/cult where you won't ever progress in life but there won't be big meanies like me pointing out where you're being silly or take a step out into the real world and see things for what they are.

When did you read all the holy scriptures in Sikhism eihhhhh?
Original post by Robby2312
I can be disrespectful to your beliefs if I want to be.Beliefs dont have an automatic right to respect.People have a right to be respected belief systems dont.A nd yes sikhism is a ridiculous belief.You are not being serious about this.You just said it is impossible that an old woman could see your mothers distress because it was crowded.But apparently its perfectly possible for a supernatural diety to appear in there.No god has ever been proven to exist.Old women I see with regularity.Its much more likely that you're old woman was simply an old woman.No magic or superstition needed.

They aren't my beliefs, I don't claim them.

anyway cba to continue speaking to you, especially with your appalling grammar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending