The Student Room Group

Medicine personal statement

How do you write a medicine personal statement and what do you include, and how do you tick all the boxes (as in, how do you please the admissions tutors?

I have no hobbies, so what do I do?? And my volunteering starts in October, so I can't exactly talk about that, can I? I've only done three days in a GP and four days in a pharmacy and I've got four more days of work experience in a hospital next week, but what else can I talk about?
I was head of science last year and I also will be a mentor for younger students at school, but how can I make all that sound attractive?
Original post by d010534
How do you write a medicine personal statement and what do you include, and how do you tick all the boxes (as in, how do you please the admissions tutors?

I have no hobbies, so what do I do?? And my volunteering starts in October, so I can't exactly talk about that, can I? I've only done three days in a GP and four days in a pharmacy and I've got four more days of work experience in a hospital next week, but what else can I talk about?
I was head of science last year and I also will be a mentor for younger students at school, but how can I make all that sound attractive?

So plan your PS into paragraphs like i did:1) Opening: why medicine, try to make it unique but also personal2) work experience care work: personal experiences and what you have learnt from it and also showing you have the NHS values3) Caring contribution to society which would show you have the caring nature of a doctor4)Extra things such as an EPQ/also perhaps gap medics if you have done it5) Hobbies and interests and perhaps an achievement6) conclusion

Get some hobbies you sure have some, admission tutors would like you more because it shows a more well rounded person, they don't won't robots doing medicine!
I would recommend to get the book ISC medical personal statements as this was a HUGE help TRUST ME!!!!
Original post by d010534

GP Practice should show you have knowledge of that field and what you observed. You understand the reality of such a vocation. Say what you learnt and the qualities you noticed the doctor hand and maybe how he interacted with patients.

Pharmacy I am not too sure what to say tbh.

Hospital work experience should be really good. Say what you saw and what inspired you etc. Like I spent time in a hospital and I personally want to be a surgeon now as I fell in love with the idea of surgery. Say what it really is like and again what you learn/took from it. Maybe this changes your perspective on current NHS affairs that are ongoing?

Head of science? Well done! Sounds really hard work and a big job! Link to your fascination with science and another reason why you want to study medicine.

Mentor for younger students: is basically volunteering. Main lesson from it should be showing your empathy (I guess), caringness, dedication, affection and how to interact with different 'patients' essentialy.

Hope this helps. Would love to give more feedback but I am writing mine too and wouldn't classify it as amazing. Just thought it would help you :smile:

Also a youtube vid : "How to write an excellent personal statement" from Imperial College London. They give quite a few medicine personal statement examples so hopefully that helps you. I found it useful?
Original post by Mathsmad123
So plan your PS into paragraphs like i did:1) Opening: why medicine, try to make it unique but also personal2) work experience care work: personal experiences and what you have learnt from it and also showing you have the NHS values3) Caring contribution to society which would show you have the caring nature of a doctor4)Extra things such as an EPQ/also perhaps gap medics if you have done it5) Hobbies and interests and perhaps an achievement6) conclusion

Get some hobbies you sure have some, admission tutors would like you more because it shows a more well rounded person, they don't won't robots doing medicine!
I would recommend to get the book ISC medical personal statements as this was a HUGE help TRUST ME!!!!

Original post by d010534

Yeah. Link back to medicine ALWAYS :smile:
Reply 4

Omg hey it's you again!! :colondollar::colondollar:

Lmao I'm trying to make it unique but it feels like piece of crap and reads like something an ignorant drunk could have written...
Work experience: I learnt nothing important tbh
I have done no volunteering either
I'm going to start an EPQ this year, but I don't know what to do it on...
I legitimately have no hobbies at all aside from reading. I watch films but that's not exactly something to write is it?
As for the ISC book, I feel like punching those suckers in the face, but I'll give it a go! (their 1000Q book is freaking me out over the ukcat it's impossible)

To be quite frank, I know I'm going to be rejected this year, so I'm going to have to take gap year anyway, but do you think I should just apply for a deferred entry?? Idk what to do tbh I'm applying for Nottingham, SGUL, Leicester and a foundation year but if I get into the foundation year then I don't want to defer because that would be seven years before I even graduate!!
Reply 5
Original post by .......Jeff458
GP Practice should show you have knowledge of that field and what you observed. You understand the reality of such a vocation. Say what you learnt and the qualities you noticed the doctor hand and maybe how he interacted with patients.

Pharmacy I am not too sure what to say tbh.

Hospital work experience should be really good. Say what you saw and what inspired you etc. Like I spent time in a hospital and I personally want to be a surgeon now as I fell in love with the idea of surgery. Say what it really is like and again what you learn/took from it. Maybe this changes your perspective on current NHS affairs that are ongoing?

Head of science? Well done! Sounds really hard work and a big job! Link to your fascination with science and another reason why you want to study medicine.

Mentor for younger students: is basically volunteering. Main lesson from it should be showing your empathy (I guess), caringness, dedication, affection and how to interact with different 'patients' essentialy.

Hope this helps. Would love to give more feedback but I am writing mine too and wouldn't classify it as amazing. Just thought it would help you :smile:

Also a youtube vid : "How to write an excellent personal statement" from Imperial College London. They give quite a few medicine personal statement examples so hopefully that helps you. I found it useful?

Omg thank you so much :smile:

As for the GP Work Experience, I didn't really spend much time with doctors unfortunately... mostly HCAs, nurses, and midwives (the midwife thought I was pregnant and gave me a pregnancy pack :colondollar::colondollar:)
Pharmacy I learnt that I don't ever want to go into pharmacy... ever.
Haven't started the hospital work experience yet... :angry::angry:
As for the head of science, I was elected, but then that was it really... but I'll try to tie that in somehow!!
To be honest, I haven't started the mentoring thing yet, but as soon as I do, I'll try to incorporate those words, thank you!!

On the whole, thank you so much though!! You gave me a few good ideas, so thank you!!
Will watch the video now :wink:
Original post by d010534
Omg thank you so much :smile:

As for the GP Work Experience, I didn't really spend much time with doctors unfortunately... mostly HCAs, nurses, and midwives (the midwife thought I was pregnant and gave me a pregnancy pack :colondollar::colondollar:)
Pharmacy I learnt that I don't ever want to go into pharmacy... ever.
Haven't started the hospital work experience yet... :angry::angry:
As for the head of science, I was elected, but then that was it really... but I'll try to tie that in somehow!!
To be honest, I haven't started the mentoring thing yet, but as soon as I do, I'll try to incorporate those words, thank you!!

On the whole, thank you so much though!! You gave me a few good ideas, so thank you!!
Will watch the video now :wink:

I mean it's not advised but you can always exaggerate a little bit. It's not like your lying completely. Your main concern should be thinking can I discuss this COMFORTABLY at interview.

Sounds like you have enough tbh. You got this bud! Best of luck with UKCAT and all :smile:

Need any more help then happy to help
Reply 7
Original post by .......Jeff458
I mean it's not advised but you can always exaggerate a little bit. It's not like your lying completely. Your main concern should be thinking can I discuss this COMFORTABLY at interview.

Sounds like you have enough tbh. You got this bud! Best of luck with UKCAT and all :smile:

Need any more help then happy to help

Hmm, I'm still sat here at 2:48 trying to figure something out... I've exaggerated a teensy bit tbh and I've waffled on to make some sentences seem more sophisticated, and I've mentioned a club I've yet to start, but I suppose it's not too bad so far.. Just trying to find a hobby though... Swimming or karate maybe, nothing too intensive bc asthma :tongue:

Thing is, I probably won't get any interviews tbh, but I suppose if I get to the interview stage, my interview will be in like December-March which gives me a couple of months to have had enough experience...

Thank you so so much for the encouragement and thank you for your time :colondollar:
Original post by d010534
Hmm, I'm still sat here at 2:48 trying to figure something out... I've exaggerated a teensy bit tbh and I've waffled on to make some sentences seem more sophisticated, and I've mentioned a club I've yet to start, but I suppose it's not too bad so far.. Just trying to find a hobby though... Swimming or karate maybe, nothing too intensive bc asthma :tongue:

Thing is, I probably won't get any interviews tbh, but I suppose if I get to the interview stage, my interview will be in like December-March which gives me a couple of months to have had enough experience...

Thank you so so much for the encouragement and thank you for your time :colondollar:

Yeah no probs my man.

For the motivation. I know people with 2 weeks of work experience and that's it. And they got IN.

It's all possible buddy, don't give up and you will see the result in the end hopefully :smile:
You should research a bit more, but I think I remember people suggesting/may of done was to talk what they hoped to gain from this future experience. You should double check if thats okay... my memory is bad and I vaguely recall reading this advice. I'm sure there's plenty of stuff you have done that you can embelish, everything in life is BS. You do something simple but then you make it sound like a grand story with extra details etc. It is hard to do and not everyone is a master story teller, but it should give you some ideas...
Original post by d010534

Lmao I'm trying to make it unique but it feels like piece of crap and reads like something an ignorant drunk could have written...
I legitimately have no hobbies at all aside from reading. I watch films but that's not exactly something to write is it?
As for the ISC book, I feel like punching those suckers in the face, but I'll give it a go! (their 1000Q book is freaking me out over the ukcat it's impossible)

To be quite frank, I know I'm going to be rejected this year, so I'm going to have to take gap year anyway, but do you think I should just apply for a deferred entry?? Idk what to do tbh I'm applying for Nottingham, SGUL, Leicester and a foundation year but if I get into the foundation year then I don't want to defer because that would be seven years before I even graduate!!

- having done the EPQ, I would say absolutely do not continue with it if you reach the Mid-Project review without finding a topic that you are PASSIONATE about. Or at least, extremely curious about. Otherwise, the EPQ will take up a lot of your time, you won't enjoy it, you'll probably get a lower grade or drop it later. Doing an EPQ is nice, but it's not going to be a massive deal to unis.
Reply 11
Original post by jmallet
- having done the EPQ, I would say absolutely do not continue with it if you reach the Mid-Project review without finding a topic that you are PASSIONATE about. Or at least, extremely curious about. Otherwise, the EPQ will take up a lot of your time, you won't enjoy it, you'll probably get a lower grade or drop it later. Doing an EPQ is nice, but it's not going to be a massive deal to unis.

Could you perhaps give me any ideas as to what to do it on?? ... :s-smilie:
Original post by d010534
Could you perhaps give me any ideas as to what to do it on?? ... :s-smilie:

Think about what you actually read about in the news, books or magazines that interests you and keeps you reading/investigating more, it can be anything (doesn't have to be from a subject you study currently although this is quite likely)

Mine was on the Zika Virus outbreak & the response in view of the Olympics (spoilers: the Olympics aren't a massive problem when you look at them in perspective... especially because the situation is pretty bad when you look at it in perspective!)

Then pick something that there might be a bit of controversy over or a new development you can evaluate so that you can find something to talk about for 5000 words and have some sort of conclusion.
Original post by d010534

Okay you may have learnt nothing important from your work experience but thats not what unis want to hear! Say something that you learnt even though you never learnt it for example....did you see the doctor talk to patients? if so you maybe could write how you learnt the value of empathy and compassion when people are in pain and all that stuff. Write in you PS when unis want to hear. Take a look at the document "NHS constitution" and read about the values on page 5. Try to incorporate these values in your PS and also link it to your work experience.
Do you play a sport? Listen to music? You should put a hobby that non academic imo because it shows a well rounded person and unis love that!
Omg the ICS medical book is amazing!! i definitely recommend it!

And no don't think like that, if you are rejected so be it, be just have the mindset of giving it your all this year, and you are more likely to succeed than not!
Reply 14
Okay you may have learnt nothing important from your work experience but thats not what unis want to hear! Say something that you learnt even though you never learnt it for example....did you see the doctor talk to patients? if so you maybe could write how you learnt the value of empathy and compassion when people are in pain and all that stuff. Write in you PS when unis want to hear. Take a look at the document "NHS constitution" and read about the values on page 5. Try to incorporate these values in your PS and also link it to your work experience.
Do you play a sport? Listen to music? You should put a hobby that non academic imo because it shows a well rounded person and unis love that!
Omg the ICS medical book is amazing!! i definitely recommend it!

And no don't think like that, if you are rejected so be it, be just have the mindset of giving it your all this year, and you are more likely to succeed than not!

Legit, there was this guy who had a benign tumor but the doctor told him he had a tumor and didn't tell him it was benign and they guy left looking all depressed, thinking he was going to die.
This other woman developed arthritis and the doctor didn't even try to reassure her and just let her go, i was so shocked tbh...
But oh well, I'm bullcrapping my way through the ps anyway so I'll try to include those words (thank you very much for the help btw)... :colondollar::colondollar:
Just started work experience at a hospital and I swear I still feel sick, and I have to go in tomorrow and my UKCAT is on THURSDAY :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Just looked at it! Thank you!
I don't play sport :/ I listen to music but how can I write that in my personal statement, it's not like I actually play an instrument...

Will take a look at the book as soon as I can get my hands on a copy though!!
Reply 15
Original post by jmallet
Think about what you actually read about in the news, books or magazines that interests you and keeps you reading/investigating more, it can be anything (doesn't have to be from a subject you study currently although this is quite likely)

Mine was on the Zika Virus outbreak & the response in view of the Olympics (spoilers: the Olympics aren't a massive problem when you look at them in perspective... especially because the situation is pretty bad when you look at it in perspective!)

Then pick something that there might be a bit of controversy over or a new development you can evaluate so that you can find something to talk about for 5000 words and have some sort of conclusion.

My head of year told me not to do it... Everyone else in my year group did it last year, or at least started it. He says that I should just focus on getting the 3As this year so I can get into medicine so Idk... He's kinda right tbh... I tried doing 5 ASs last year but personally I couldn't cope with all the extra work, so...

But at the same time, he told me that if I thought of anything interesting I should do it... Idk have anything interesting except for Harry Potter lmao and I did consider doing an EPQ on Harry Potter but it's not actually gonna help me in any way, is it :colondollar:
Original post by d010534
My head of year told me not to do it... Everyone else in my year group did it last year, or at least started it. He says that I should just focus on getting the 3As this year so I can get into medicine so Idk... He's kinda right tbh... I tried doing 5 ASs last year but personally I couldn't cope with all the extra work, so...

But at the same time, he told me that if I thought of anything interesting I should do it... Idk have anything interesting except for Harry Potter lmao and I did consider doing an EPQ on Harry Potter but it's not actually gonna help me in any way, is it :colondollar:

That's the right way to think about it, if you have an interesting topic then go for it, but otherwise don't bother.

HP EPQ would be amazing but yeah maybe not this year haha
Reply 17
Original post by jmallet
That's the right way to think about it, if you have an interesting topic then go for it, but otherwise don't bother.

HP EPQ would be amazing but yeah maybe not this year haha

Yeah, I suppose... Still, imagine if I was in a tie-break situation with someone else and that person got an A* at EPQ... they would choose the other person. Tbf I do have a fourth AS at grade A, so I don't think I'm too bad, but what if the other person has the EPQ too??

Omg I'd have a reason to re-read the books and rewatch the films for the seven-hundredth time lmao :tongue:
hey personal statement wise I really think the character limit is such a pain.. was wondering if they accept organisations such as the NCS written like that or would rather me writing the whole thing out; National Citizen Service. Same goes for ICS. Any ideas???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending