The Student Room Group

Where can I go with my grades

Ok, so I'm a 2:i graduate from the University of York. My degree is in Experimental physics, got 61% in the end (close, I know).

What I want to ask is, I've been considering astrophysics for a MSc. Where can I go with my grades?
My relevant modules in astrophysics are optics and Mapping the Universe I suppose, where I have 78 and 72% respectively. I also have a lot of experience under my belt regarding engineering, ambassadorial roles, teaching roles etc.

I know it's bad to think of the ranking of the university when applying, but I would like to know what ball park I should be aiming for. -

Thanks
Go and check some universities' entry requirements. I don't know what you think people here can do that you can't.
Reply 2
Well even Oxford and Cambridge are only asking for 2:is, but I don't think 61% is enough for them is it?
Original post by OhmyMo
Well even Oxford and Cambridge are only asking for 2:is, but I don't think 61% is enough for them is it?

If you don't think they spell out their entry requirements in sufficient detail online there's nothing stopping you emailing them to ask.

Be more proactive. We're talking about masters level work here, no-one's going to spoon-feed you answers.

What results have you found from your research so far?
The 2:1 requirement is often just used as a safety net in case the university doesn't receive enough applicants with firsts.

In reality, the vast majority of applicants for masters courses at Russell Group universities have (or are in line for) strong firsts, so with a low 2:1 you will need an outstanding personal statement, faultless references, and significant work experience to even be considered for an interview.

Quick Reply

Latest