The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Hull-York Medical School 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elish2chambers
Thank you!! So are yours!! And don't worry think positive, I think the UKCAT average will be lower than usual this year anyway (a thief least I'm hoping)! And I'm the same I think I would prefer York but Hulls accommodation looks amazing!

Where else are you looking at applying?

Hmm I'm not sure the interim results were high!! Yes Hull have had loads of new accommodation built, it is sooo nice. HYMS, UEA and Liverpool are definite.
My last option is between Leicester, Nottingham (I score 24/30 on their UKCAT point system), Bristol and Aberdeen. I'm not bothered which, just wherever I have the best shot which I am still trying to find out. You?
(edited 7 years ago)
University of York
York
Reply 21
Original post by manlike99
Hopefully :smile:. Sheffield is the only open day out of the 4 that I haven't been able to go to unfortunately... Is it really dodgy? And nice, I reckon 717 is fine since the cut off last year was around 685

I noticed another potential applicant post about Sheffield accommodation. I'm not sure which accommodation they took her to see - maybe the 15% not mentioned in what I've copied from the Uni website below. Most of the 1st year accommodation is in a very affluent part of Sheffield, which is a leafy walk past the botanical gardens down to the Uni. There are no shops on that walk. It's a shame if they didn't show off the best bits.

The best student accommodation in the UK. Our University accommodation has been voted the best in the UK by students in the Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey for the third year running.No. 1 for accommodation: Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2016, 2015, 2014The majority of our accommodation (85%) is in one of the UK's most affluent districts. Most of it is new (2007–2009) and purpose built. 82% of our rooms are en suite. The student residences are walking distance from campus and we have places in the city centre, just a short walk from lectures.
Original post by meddad
I noticed another potential applicant post about Sheffield accommodation. I'm not sure which accommodation they took her to see - maybe the 15% not mentioned in what I've copied from the Uni website below. Most of the 1st year accommodation is in a very affluent part of Sheffield, which is a leafy walk past the botanical gardens down to the Uni. There are no shops on that walk. It's a shame if they didn't show off the best bits.

The best student accommodation in the UK. Our University accommodation has been voted the best in the UK by students in the Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey for the third year running.No. 1 for accommodation: Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2016, 2015, 2014The majority of our accommodation (85%) is in one of the UK's most affluent districts. Most of it is new (2007–2009) and purpose built. 82% of our rooms are en suite. The student residences are walking distance from campus and we have places in the city centre, just a short walk from lectures.

Thank you :smile:
Just thought I'd let you guys know about how they score gcse's. They give 5 points for an A*, 4 for an A etc... which gives a max score out of 40, they then scale this to 30 pts, hope this helps. I'm also looking to apply here :smile:
Original post by Ninjakam119
Just thought I'd let you guys know about how they score gcse's. They give 5 points for an A*, 4 for an A etc... which gives a max score out of 40, they then scale this to 30 pts, hope this helps. I'm also looking to apply here :smile:

Are eng lang and maths counted or is it just top 8?
Hi, will stats of 8A* and 2A at GCSE, AAAA at As, AAA (achieved) at GCSE, 670 UKCAT and band 1 SJT be safe? Just that some of my other choices are risky so I want to be safe with this option.
Thank you.
Original post by parawitch
Hi, will stats of 8A* and 2A at GCSE, AAAA at As, AAA (achieved) at GCSE, 670 UKCAT and band 1 SJT be safe? Just that some of my other choices are risky so I want to be safe with this option.
Thank you.

You seem like a solid candidate, especially with your achieved A-Levels :-)

Does anyone know how they score the UKCAT? I know for SJT, its 5 for band 3, 10 for band 2 and 15 for band 1. For the other subsections, its a cumulative mark /40. Anyone know how they break this down?

Thanks, and good luck everyone :-)
Original post by Orangeflower6
Are eng lang and maths counted or is it just top 8?

Direct pull from their website: "if our minimum entry requirements are met, applications will be given an academic score based upon the best 8 achieved grades at GCSE or equivalent Year 11 qualifications."
Original post by aRandomGuy
Direct pull from their website: "if our minimum entry requirements are met, applications will be given an academic score based upon the best 8 achieved grades at GCSE or equivalent Year 11 qualifications."

Thank you, going by that it sounds like it does not have to include specific subjects!
You seem like a solid candidate, especially with your achieved A-Levels :-)

Does anyone know how they score the UKCAT? I know for SJT, its 5 for band 3, 10 for band 2 and 15 for band 1. For the other subsections, its a cumulative mark /40. Anyone know how they break this down?

Thanks, and good luck everyone :-)

Who told you that about the SJT?

I read on last years thread that they counted band 1 and 2 as the same. Not sure how true this is, however they don't consider band 4 applicants.

Hey :-)

HYMS reject applicants with Band 4 in SJT. There is a total of 15 points available for the remaining 3 bands, and this is confirmed in their entry procedure. What's not confirmed is how these 15 points are broken down so I naturally assumed it was:
Band 3: 5/15
Band 2: 10/15
Band 1: 15/15
This may not be correct but its the best I've got to assess myself for a chance at interview :-)
Hey :-)

HYMS reject applicants with Band 4 in SJT. There is a total of 15 points available for the remaining 3 bands, and this is confirmed in their entry procedure. What's not confirmed is how these 15 points are broken down so I naturally assumed it was:
Band 3: 5/15
Band 2: 10/15
Band 1: 15/15
This may not be correct but its the best I've got to assess myself for a chance at interview :-)

I thought this too but I asked on open day and they said they'd probably give band 1 and band 2 the same amount of points but are not sure yet
I thought this too but I asked on open day and they said they'd probably give band 1 and band 2 the same amount of points but are not sure yet

Well, I pray that's true considering I got a Band 2 :colondollar:
Any idea how their UKCAT breakdown in scored? (in case you asked that on open day too)

Yes I was told this too and according to last years applicants on their thread they were told the same..
Well, I pray that's true considering I got a Band 2 :colondollar:
Any idea how their UKCAT breakdown in scored? (in case you asked that on open day too)

It is in deciles I think. Top decile gets full points but not sure.
It is in deciles I think. Top decile gets full points but not sure.

Ahh okay...I'm applying with 630 average and Band 2. Not sure if I'll score highly / 55 :frown: 8A*s at GCSE for my best 8 so hoping that will boost me up
Original post by Orangeflower6
Yes I was told this too and according to last years applicants on their thread they were told the same..

Great, sounds promising for us all :biggrin:
Hi, does anyone have any idea how the UKCAT will be scored??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Imogen1208
Hi, does anyone have any idea how the UKCAT will be scored??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gave HYMS a call today about the UKCAT...they haven't yet finalised their details but they said:

1. Last year, Band 2 in SJT received same no. of points as Band 1. They are considering doing this again this year.
2. They will score the UKCAT based on deciles but haven't yet worked out how many points each decile scores

Quick Reply