The Student Room Group

I've come to find that my accent has slightly changed.

I'm originally from London, but I have been studying in Bristol for the last 2 years. My standard accent is Londoner. It's definitely not a "posh" accent, it's closer to cockney. The accent in Bristol is what I would call "West Country". It's a bit of a "farmer accent". Recently, my flat mates and the girl I'm dating have noticed my accent has changed ever so slightly. Strangely, I have noticed it too, on several words. Is this normal?
I used to live in Yorkshire but have lived in SE London for the past 3 years. There's definitely been a change in my accent because of the exposure, it's very normal and j would say it's just me trying to adjust to the environment. However I sill stay things like grass and class the Yorkshire way lol. I'm guessing you're in Uni so I'm a bit younger than you - the change in my accent may be a bit more pronounced. Basically it's very normal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Totally normal. I adapt to accents so easily. I went to primary school in wigan but lived in cheshire so I started with a wigan accent and slowly developed into a "posh" cheshire accent by the time I was ready to leave. I used to get teased a bit tbh because of my posh accent... And then going into high school in cheshire, my accent went a bit back to being as it was, and now I'm back at college in wigan, I've gone posh again. It depends on who you hang around with as my friends are quite posh as well
I'm from Wiltshire so have a farmer country twang but studying in London and wanting to work in the City I now have more a chelsea / posh accent.. for just wanting to fit in in London.

gurt lush my lover..
Reply 4
It's totally normal. We adapt to what we're surrounded by every day. So being surrounded by people speaking in a certain way for years makes you pick up some of the accents
I lived in Germany for two years and came into contact with veeery little English people. I spoke a lot of German and English with foreigners so my English adapted to non-native speakers and took on German tones and sounds. When I came back to UK. people said I sounded like I was a foreigner who had lived here about 10 years or something. I found even the voice inside my head would naturally use different accents depending on the people I had been spending time with.
Reply 6
Original post by Devify
It's totally normal. We adapt to what we're surrounded by every day. So being surrounded by people speaking in a certain way for years makes you pick up some of the accents

Neither of my roommates have picked up the accent though...
Original post by Dodgypirate
Neither of my roommates have picked up the accent though...

Everyone's different

Posted from TSR Mobile
My accent's massively different to what it was when i d just moved from wales.

Quick Reply

Latest