The Student Room Group

Lemur's Year 11 GYG Journey

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samaad1
thanks for the offer will definitely keep that in mind when I start revising maths properly

:smile:
I haven't seen any Lemur threads for ages!
How's year 11 man :smile::colondollar:
Original post by bengaltiger_
I haven't seen any Lemur threads for ages!
How's year 11 man :smile::colondollar:

Sorry, I've been really busy so haven't had much time to update:frown: Year 11 is ok, loads of homework "because you're year 11 now" with much shorter deadlines than last year. Controlled Assessment deadlines coming up (hence I've spent 12 hours on computing in the past fortnight!) and mocks might be in 8 weeks as I've predicted or not, because the school hasn't told us yet!
How's school for you?
Original post by Lemur14
Sorry, I've been really busy so haven't had much time to update:frown: Year 11 is ok, loads of homework "because you're year 11 now" with much shorter deadlines than last year. Controlled Assessment deadlines coming up (hence I've spent 12 hours on computing in the past fortnight!) and mocks might be in 8 weeks as I've predicted or not, because the school hasn't told us yet!
How's school for you?

Year 10 is ok so far. My product design teacher said that she was gonna make us do a "mock of a mock of a mock test" just to see where we are. We haven't done much theory lol. Other than that, I have a physics test and an economics test in the next 2 days.
Tbh I wish I could have done course work like you, now the grades depend on only the exams.
Year 10 is ok so far. My product design teacher said that she was gonna make us do a "mock of a mock of a mock test" just to see where we are. We haven't done much theory lol. Other than that, I have a physics test and an economics test in the next 2 days.
Tbh I wish I could have done course work like you, now the grades depend on only the exams.

lol that mock sounds more like an end of topic test (but only not at the end of the topic :s-smilie: lol) I'm really glad I'm not the year below because coursework is like my saviour (saying this, both years I've done exams, it's been the coursework that brought my grade down lol). I think it reassures me more than anything that I have some of my grade banked even if in the end it brings my grade down.
Good luck with your tests :smile: I'm sure you'll do really well :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
lol that mock sounds more like an end of topic test (but only not at the end of the topic :s-smilie: lol) I'm really glad I'm not the year below because coursework is like my saviour (saying this, both years I've done exams, it's been the coursework that brought my grade down lol). I think it reassures me more than anything that I have some of my grade banked even if in the end it brings my grade down.
Good luck with your tests :smile: I'm sure you'll do really well :smile:

Thanks! ;D Yup theyre end of topic. I jus did my Economics, and it was fairly easy. Tommorow is my Physics one. :smile:
Thanks! ;D Yup theyre end of topic. I jus did my Economics, and it was fairly easy. Tommorow is my Physics one. :smile:

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
Good luck :smile:

Thanks man :colondollar:
Btw how did your mocks go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
How's school for you?

LOL, all I heard in yr 11 was "because you're in yr 11 now"! My teachers used that as a reason for everything.:tongue: Best of luck with your computing coursework; it is very time consuming!:biggrin:
Thanks man :colondollar:
Btw how did your mocks go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll be doing an update about that in a couple of days when I have more time. I will say that I was pretty happy with them though :smile:
Original post by sunshine774
LOL, all I heard in yr 11 was "because you're in yr 11 now"! My teachers used that as a reason for everything.:tongue: Best of luck with your computing coursework; it is very time consuming!:biggrin:

Time consuming is an understatement! I've done 17 hours of computing since I got back in September, and I have a double tomorrow, plus probably 3-4 hours after school split between Wednesday and Thursday before the second one is being handed in for the "final" mark. If we haven't got our target grade we then get to amend it though lol. (and our first one hasn't been handed in for a final mark yet so it's in a bit of a weird order). They are meant to be 25 hours each! (and all those 17 has been spent on the same one) I was also working on it for 2 hours weekly from March until July (obviously excluding holidays) which I think was about 14 lessons (we missed a lot for exams) so that's about double the time, and it's not even finished yet.)
Original post by Lemur14
I'll be doing an update about that in a couple of days when I have more time. I will say that I was pretty happy with them though :smile:

Time consuming is an understatement! I've done 17 hours of computing since I got back in September, and I have a double tomorrow, plus probably 3-4 hours after school split between Wednesday and Thursday before the second one is being handed in for the "final" mark. If we haven't got our target grade we then get to amend it though lol. (and our first one hasn't been handed in for a final mark yet so it's in a bit of a weird order). They are meant to be 25 hours each! (and all those 17 has been spent on the same one) I was also working on it for 2 hours weekly from March until July (obviously excluding holidays) which I think was about 14 lessons (we missed a lot for exams) so that's about double the time, and it's not even finished yet.)

Yeah I know! I did gcse computing last year and it took me SO long to complete the coursework!:smile: I'm sure you will do very well though!:biggrin:
I did well in my end of topic exams woo hoo :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I did well in my end of topic exams woo hoo :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

well done :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
well done :smile:

Wow, sorry hasn't been an update for a very long time! I've been really struggling both with life in general, plus with balancing my work load with other things, such as performing which I love, but is very time consuming! I did my last performance for a while last week and I have my piano exam coming up in 2 weeks so once that is done then it'll be all hands on deck for revision materials. Obviously a lot has happened since I last updated and I'll try to summarise it here (in a few bullet points as possible)

Mocks are wb 21st November and 6th February. We've had 7 of the exams confirmed for November and 5 for February so far. Getting quite worried that we haven't had a timetable for the November ones tbh.

We got our PIXL Mocks back! I got:

English Lang: 7 (13 marks til 8). The paper 1 and the first part of paper 2 was a disaster, but I got 36/40 in the writing for paper 2 because the topic was brilliant and I had loads of points and actual statistics to use, as well as real life examples etc. :smile: Unfortunately I doubt something that great will come up in the exam so I still really need to work at that regardless

Maths: 9 :biggrin: A good way into a 9 as well...only thing was that it was 57.5% for a 9 so totally not realistic. I got An average of 68% or so over the papers, which really needs to be improved but I'm sure nonw that we've covered a lot more of the significant topics the November mocks will find me a better result.

We're now finished the Blood Brothers unit. It was actually a really great book and I'm not looking forward to starting Macbeth now because we've done little bits of that before and also I hate Shakespeare becuase I just find it boring.

We've done our biology ISA, hopefully marks will be back next week, and we'll be doing another one once we've done some of B3.

Progressing well through P3 and C3 now :smile: I think after mocks we'll be going back into ISAs because we've nearly done half of both of these units

Computing is very manic. The deadline is the 4th November, but my last day doing extra work will have to be Tuesday, and I still have a fair amount to do so it will have to be a long session to get it finished.

Business is also manic. We're finished off our final controlled assessment then we have a whole new unit to learn.

History is surprisingly calm. We've just finished our controlled assessment booklet and now we're doing source work. Then we'll plan and write it up. We have another unit to do as well, but apparently a term will be enough to do it...I'm not convinced but I have the ability to learn it by myself so I may spend some time over Christmas doing some of that.

Electronics is currently ok. We are making our circuit boards atm (the best bit of the CA) then we'll be moving on to case work which is less fun, but still ok. I'm working on my designs, but I need another idea, which will most likely be the one I do, because the ones I've thought of so far don't fulfil all the points on the specification which we wrote (those I suppose I could rewrite it lol)

I think that's it for now. I won't post my half term to do list because that will demotivate me as it's so long and unlikely to be all done :frown: I will however keep posting my revision notes (the ones that I type anyway) on the first page), and when I get my mock exam timetable then I'll try to post that. Better get back to work :biggrin:
Missed one thing, oops
Sixth Form Applications
I've been to 2 open evenings now, and have one last one on the 3rd November (my current school).

The first one is really difficult to get there, and I didn't particularly like it for several reasons so I'm not planning on applying there, however their deadline is the 24 April so plenty of time to change my mind

The second one was rushed around because I had to be somewhere else, but I did really enjoy it, and the applications close on the 6th so I'm definitely applying.

The last one is my school, which I will apply for as there is a chance that I don't get into interview for the second one (it's done by random allocation). My school is good, not brilliant, but I'd be quite happy to go there (and it would be better lie ins if nothing else!).

I don't know which sixth form I prefer, it will basically come down to do I want a school environment or a sixth form environment, and also slightly the subjects, because I am no way doing physics at my school (taught by my absolutely awful form teacher) but I don't want to do computing at the other school because the results aren't great, particularly in comparison to other subjects, and it's a new language which I'd rather not deal with.
Reply 36
Hey, I see you did ECDL and achieved Dis*.I am also doing ECDL and I want to know how much % you need for Dis*? Help would be appreciated, Thanks!
Original post by Fnt1klo
Hey, I see you did ECDL and achieved Dis*.I am also doing ECDL and I want to know how much % you need for Dis*? Help would be appreciated, Thanks!

I believe it was 85%
My new GYGs thread is here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=68401536&t=43996181
Come and join me on my journey through mocks and beyond :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Lemur14
I believe it was 85%

Thank you and Congrats for the Dis*.

Quick Reply

Latest