The Student Room Group

Manual to automatic?

Hi. I passed my driving test in November and got my first car in April, a manual fiat 500. It's great and really easy to drive but I find myself pining for an automatic. I would love to trade it in and switch to an auto. Does anyone know how insurance would work? I've paid upfront for the whole year so would I be refunded or just switch it over to a different car? I also got a loan from the bank of mum and am slightly concerned she might be a bit pissed off if I change cars after 5-6 months. Has anyone else changed cars so soon after buying one?
Original post by pansies
Hi. I passed my driving test in November and got my first car in April, a manual fiat 500. It's great and really easy to drive but I find myself pining for an automatic. I would love to trade it in and switch to an auto. Does anyone know how insurance would work? I've paid upfront for the whole year so would I be refunded or just switch it over to a different car? I also got a loan from the bank of mum and am slightly concerned she might be a bit pissed off if I change cars after 5-6 months. Has anyone else changed cars so soon after buying one?

Why do you want an automatic?
It might be worth sticking it out, to see if you eventually get used to a manual, depending on what your issue is.
Insurance wise, you would just change the car on your current insurance policy. If the other car works out more expensive, then you would just be asked to pay the extra (or would be refunded if it worked out cheaper)
I switched to automatic after driving manual for two years. Never driving manual again if I can help it. I'd highly recommend it if you live in a trafficky area, so tedious coming back and forth between the pedals in stop-start traffic in a manual compared to just using the brake pedal and leaving it in D in an auto, which will provide a few mph worth of pull all the while it's in that gear, so you just use the brake to stop and release the brake to creep forward.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I switched to automatic after driving manual for two years. Never driving manual again if I can help it. I'd highly recommend it if you live in a trafficky area, so tedious coming back and forth between the pedals in stop-start traffic in a manual compared to just using the brake pedal and leaving it in D in an auto, which will provide a few mph worth of pull all the while it's in that gear, so you just use the brake to stop and release the brake to creep forward.

This ^ I live in Bristol which is one of the most congested cities in the UK. I learnt in a manual but the car i ended up buying was a automatic and i'd never look back.
I switched from manual to automatic and I've never looked back.

Perfectly easy to adapt after a couple of hours, I say go for it.*
I've had many cars in my lifetime, some were manuals, some were automatics and a few were semi-automatics.

One thing for sure, am not going back to a manual again unless that is an extremely rare car that isn't made with an automatic gearbox. These days other than crapbox cars very few of such cars exist.

You do get used to an automatic very quickly however if you are going from an automatic to a semi-automatic it would take some getting used to especially if it is an automated clutch type gearbox.
Reply 6
Thanks for all your replies, I'm shopping around and going to test drive some automatics to get a feel for them. Can I ask what automatic cars you drive? Are they any good? Also are repairs incredibly expensive?
As a petrolhead, I'd never drive an automatic if I can help it.
But obviously it's your choice.

But I'd wait until you've paid your loan off before switching cars. Don't wanna get into trouble with money so early on.
And 6 months is not long at all to have a car!
So defo keep it for a least a year.

You'd have to pay a cancellation fee for the insurance and then take out a new quote on the new car. But once you have a NCB (you get one every year providing you have no accidents etc...) the insurance will be cheaper each year. So it may be worth driving your current car for a bit longer until you've driven for a year.

But for the manual/auto. Your choice.
Personally, I'd stick with a manual as they're more fun and an auto would just frustrate me.
But yeah your decision overall.

Hope this helps.
Original post by FireFreezer77
As a petrolhead, I'd never drive an automatic if I can help it.
But obviously it's your choice.

But I'd wait until you've paid your loan off before switching cars. Don't wanna get into trouble with money so early on.
And 6 months is not long at all to have a car!
So defo keep it for a least a year.

You'd have to pay a cancellation fee for the insurance and then take out a new quote on the new car. But once you have a NCB (you get one every year providing you have no accidents etc...) the insurance will be cheaper each year. So it may be worth driving your current car for a bit longer until you've driven for a year.

But for the manual/auto. Your choice.
Personally, I'd stick with a manual as they're more fun and an auto would just frustrate me.
But yeah your decision overall.

Hope this helps.

Thats not true, You just switch your current policy over to your new car. And its its cheaper/more expensive to insure they just charge you the extra/refund the difference. There's no need to cancel the policy at all.
Original post by Emma:-)
Thats not true, You just switch your current policy over to your new car. And its its cheaper/more expensive to insure they just charge you the extra/refund the difference. There's no need to cancel the policy at all.

Just going by what I've been told!
Original post by pansies

I would stick with the manual. I drive a manual car too, once my car brakes failed, but fortunately I was able to downshift to a halt
I've found auto boxes vary from infuriating on lower end cars to effortless on higher end ones. The DSG/DCT boxes are wonderful, but some of the lower end single clutch options (Toyota's MMT) are, imo, not worth the trade off when you consider the control you lose.
Original post by FireFreezer77
Just going by what I've been told!

Ive transferred it over myself every time ive had a new car.
Theres no need to cancel it at all.
Original post by Emma:-)
Ive transferred it over myself every time ive had a new car.
Theres no need to cancel it at all.

Ok ok as I said I was just going by what I've been told before.
Calm

Quick Reply

Latest