The Student Room Group

Don't get along with my flatmates

I'm sort of a party animal and love drinking and having fun, but none of my flat mates are particularly like that... on the first night of freshers I went to bed at 8pm because I didn't know what else to do, did anyone else have this issue? and is it the end of the world if I don't click with my flatmates?
yh u should move...i think
Reply 2
Original post by chloeschults
I'm sort of a party animal and love drinking and having fun, but none of my flat mates are particularly like that... on the first night of freshers I went to bed at 8pm because I didn't know what else to do, did anyone else have this issue? and is it the end of the world if I don't click with my flatmates?

Honestly, as you meet them they will want to start going to parties and go out drinking but as they may be freshers, they are still getting used to the university lifestyle. I'm in a similar position where I don't even know who my flatmates are and have only bumped into three students who don't even talk.

Remember that it's probably not going to work straight away but as you start your course and everything, the more time you give them the more they will settle in.

(So basically, give it time)
Reply 3
Remember, it's a big change for you and them. Perhaps they will let down some of their inhibitions in time if that's the reason why things aren't as you wish at the moment.

How did you spend your time in the evenings before? Maybe you could think about how to spend your time and not let yourself get too disappointed if your flat mates don't want to party. Your expectations may be different from what the reality of sharing is like and so if they don't want to party or drink, you could decide on some ways of spending your time as an independent person.

I wonder if you are at a bit of a loss because you see yourself as this party person, but there is a lot more to you, I'm sure and maybe you'll discover interesting things about them and yourself over time.

But for now, I'd get used to learning what else you enjoy.

Try not to make any rash decisions.
it's not the end of the world

plenty of people aren't best friends with their flats and if your only problem is that they're too shy it could be far worse!

get out there and meet other people, it's freshers people are happy to make friends... post on the freshers page 'my flats quiet anyone going out tonight that I can join?' or better yet just go knock on doors of nearby flats and introduce yourself and ask if they're going out tonight (you could always arrange pres at your flat?)
It's not unusual not to be close to random flat mates. As long as everyone is civil and polite to each other it's cool.

Lots of friendships are made outside of flatmates through common interest groups.
Reply 6
Original post by tamil fever
yh u should move...i think

I have to wait a month before they start looking into requests to move, so i'll see if i make friends and if not i'll look into moving I think...

This is just not what I imaged it to be like...
Socially uni doesn't get good until towards the end of first year for a lot of people. Moving is a lot of hassle if you don't absolutely have to do it and it's important to have realistic expectations. If you don't have a flatmate who annoys you to the point that it affects your standard of living then you're doing well.

Second year is when people usually move in with people who they actually like. It takes the first year to meet those people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending